Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,007
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Dave Davidson1, catscratch, Boondoggle, jmartin, Willy Wonka), 924 guests, and 167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#457 04/22/04 05:54 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I am still in the process of selecting the right place for a 2-3 acre pond.

My property is about 100 acres. I am leaning toward placing the pond in a low section near a seasonal stream and near an area that is not really a swamp but a cedar bog.

My question is, if I dig a big hole in the ground beside this wet area will I end up draining the wet area? Is this a good idea? And if I don't have a clay sealed pond is it possible that some underground spring is bringing this water into the area and will keep the pond full?

I know I probably have to dig to get the answers, but if you have any insights I would appreciate it.

My location is in south eastern Ontario.

Thanks/Doug

#458 04/22/04 06:40 AM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
My pond was excavated out of a bog or marsh area during our drought 2 years ago. We left half the marsh area. It has become a watershed now for the during dry times. When the level goes down the marsh bleeds water into the pond area. It also provided the starter for plant and animal life for the pond. I was there 2 weeks ago and the small peeper frogs started their mating song. There must be thousands of them in the marsh and pond area. To see pictures of our project click on my home page or here: http://frontiernet.net/~catpond/

It was hard work and required patience as it's a natural area that collects water which is good when done but a big problem when trying to excavate. Good luck.

#459 04/22/04 07:10 AM
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Can you explain some of the wetland protection laws in Canada and what you will have to do to comply with them?

Norm Kopecky
#460 04/22/04 10:51 AM
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Norm- Depending on his area, the source of the water, the reason the wet area currently exists etc. may mean that it isn't considered a protected wetland area at all. If it is a protected wetland area and designated as such, then I wish him the best of luck. (I say that knowing that alot of large developments, either government sponsored or otherwise, go through regardless of land condition.... whereas smaller ones of recreatinal nature are a lot more difficult to get done.)

Doug, South Eastern Ontario... So I expect your chunk of property is East of Toronto? Where abouts exactly?

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
#461 04/22/04 02:32 PM
L
lee Offline
L
not sure about rules in canada,but i happen to have some exp. with wetlands.might i add i got caught digging in wetlands for my lake.never even dreammed this was wetlands.1st wetlands are every were,it does not have to have water standing to be wetlands.you can hire a eng.and they will look at plants growing on the site and the soil and give you a good idea of weather you can dig at this site.the bottom line is if you dig and get caught it can be very bad($$$$$$$)and alot of them.in my case it helps if you are not a devolper are big contractore who knows better.you can buy your wetlands from the government for $$$$ ranging from $1,500.00-5,000.00 per acre,plus government cost.(this is the high dollar part)what i learned is don't do it,it's not worth the problems.i might add they have the write to make you put the land back like it was before you started,this is not cheap,itself.please ask 1st if you even think there is a problem.these people taught me a lesson in life.

#462 04/22/04 07:14 PM
D
OP Offline
D
I just recently bought this farm. It is in Warkworth, which is just north of Colbourn. About 150 km from Troronto.

Regarding conservation laws in wetlands, this is a very unusual property. The area that is wetland has be partially developped. Back in the 70s there was a big real estate boon-doggle that sub-divided up this land into 100 foot lots. There is even a road that goes into the middle of it. The developer took off with every one's money. The low area on my land is adjacent to these lots.

That said, I will have to look into regulations. I know there are many permits to get and I am sure there will be some friendly conservation people telling me where I can or cannot put the pond.

All that aside. If I can put a pond near a marsh do you think its a good idea?

#463 04/22/04 08:15 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Doug,
That real-estate boon doggle guy's name wasn't Clinton was it? \:D
Seriously, I can't think of any reason a bog/swamp wouldn't make a good pond. No matter where you dig there are +s & -s .. you won't know the whole deal until you move some dirt. They do it all the time in Louisiana lowlands.
Common sense indicates there is standing water there now & an influx of water .. all you need do is improve upon it!

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
#464 04/23/04 05:09 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Doug, Being in North Texas, I know very little about bogs, marshes and wetlands. However, I had one area that stayed wet from a seep spring. I finally dug it out and made a small pond just so I could have a high spot to drive on. I found out that water runs 2 ways. In the middle of our summertime droughts, the water runs backward into the seep, draining the pond. I'd be careful about spending too much $ without some analysis.

#465 04/27/04 06:51 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for your responses. I was just up to the property yesterday after a night of heavy rain. There was a nice little creek trickling through the area I want to put the pond. I think this dries up in the summer.

The place that I am thinking about for the pond is currently treed, but I imagine that damming up the stream will definately get the attention of the folks down at the MNR.

What probably needs to happen is to simply observe for a full season and to dig a few test holes to see what I am dealing with.

Thanks again/Doug

#466 04/29/04 10:14 AM
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Doug, if the stream is only seasonal you shouldn't have TOO much trouble...

Warkworth... south of Hastings eh? Off Hwy 25?

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
#467 05/12/04 09:03 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Pottsy -- Thats right. I am about 15 minutes south of cambleford.

The farm is only about 1km from the town coop and pub. Very convenient.

Regards/Doug

#468 05/13/04 11:04 AM
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Hey Doug,

Just a few quick comments.

1) You should get a book called "The Earth Pond Sourcebook" by Tim Mattson. It deals extensively with the subject of site selection and everything else pond-related.

2) My existing pond site sounds very much like your potential site. There is a small swampy area upstream of my pond and a runoff creek from it feeds my pond. The creek dries up in the warm/rainless summer days, but during the spring it remains quite full. I do have the advantage of red clay soil that was used to form the embankment over 50 years ago. I would recommend a natural spillway over your embankment and for you to leave as much of the "swamp" intact as possible. It will collect sediment that you do not want in your pond and will be a MIGHTY breeding force for frogs, insects, and nitrogen-fixing bog plants. All of these things are excellent for a wildlife pond. Try to pick a spot that will collect as much "end of the run" runoff as possible and dig. Put your best material (hardpan clay) along the embankment and pack, pack, pack. Nothing is for sure in pond building. If you feel like your over your head and you don't consult any professionals, you may have the problem of not being able to have water over your head in the future. Bad pun intended.

Here’s a picture of my pond:

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Willy Wonka - 04/29/24 05:23 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction