Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,811
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
2 members (FishinRod, Sunil), 1,077 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
BrianL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I stocked last February with FHM, CNBG(1"-5" well fed), RES and in late June we stocked the LMB fingerlings. First week after the LMB stocking, I only found 2 dead LMB fingerlings. I haven't caught or had a sighting since that time. I have fished and caught many CNBG, and they are real aggressive. They will hit anything less than 3" so I tried to increase to a H&H spinner to prevent CNBG biting and try and catch a LMB. Nothing. Have not seen a fish jump, or the usual bass top water explosion. I realize these "explosions" will be smaller, but would think I would still see a few by now.

Pond is right outside the house so I watch it almost daily. Am I worrying too quick, or can larger aggressive CNBG affect the LMB fingerling survival rates? I was planning on HSB in the spring, but not sure if I should do that without knowing if the LMB did ok. Thoughts?

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
Hey Brian,

I would try fishing with small 2 to 3 inch CNBG under a cork. That ought to keep the big CNBG off the hook and be attractive to the LMB if they are there.

Good Luck,

Bill D.

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/27/17 07:08 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
P
P
I use small crappie jigs and they work well on bass up to a lb

BrianL,
How is your water clarity? As LMB are predominately sight feeders...you may have varied responses to them hitting an artificial lure. I stocked a forage base the summer of 2014 and stocked LMB the summer of 2015. My water quality is good, but could have more clarity. I did not see or catch a LMB for a period of time. I wondered, if they had made it. I have caught several since then in the 2-3lb range and smaller.
I believe this:
In my pond, as long as I have a prolific forage base, I believe the LMB would rather attack YOY BG, GSF, and Gambusia minnows than hit an artificial lure. I can sit and watch the fish feed after the feeder goes off. Then, all of a sudden you will hear an explosion and see bait & forage fish blown clean out of the water. This did not happen for a long time. I know my lack of water clarity probably inhibited my LMB growth, but that's what I got. I know they are there.
Charlie

...when in doubt...set the hook...
T
T
My experience was low survival of lmb fingerlings. Your story here was exactly my experience. Did a shock last march and found out few lmb were in the pond. Suggest you find some advanced lmb to restock, or shock a survey.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
B
BrianL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Hey Brian,

I would try fishing with small 2 to 3 inch CNBG under a cork. That ought to keep the big CNBG off the hook and be attractive to the LMB if they are there.

Good Luck,

Bill D.

I'll give that a try this week.

Trophy Hunter feeder.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
It is not at all unusual for LMB fingerlings (2-4 inch) stocked late spring or early summer to disappear until after the water warms the next spring. I would wait and see what this spring and summer show.

B
BrianL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
I use small crappie jigs and they work well on bass up to a lb

I have used many crappie jigs, Mepps Aglia and Black Fury Spin Fly Wooly Worm, Tiny torpedoes, beatle spins of varing size, plastic crickets, and a few others. Only CNBG so far on all the above.

Nothing on the 1/4 oz H&H

Trophy Hunter feeder.
B
BrianL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: stickem'
BrianL,
How is your water clarity? As LMB are predominately sight feeders...you may have varied responses to them hitting an artificial lure. I stocked a forage base the summer of 2014 and stocked LMB the summer of 2015. My water quality is good, but could have more clarity. I did not see or catch a LMB for a period of time. I wondered, if they had made it. I have caught several since then in the 2-3lb range and smaller.
I believe this:
In my pond, as long as I have a prolific forage base, I believe the LMB would rather attack YOY BG, GSF, and Gambusia minnows than hit an artificial lure. I can sit and watch the fish feed after the feeder goes off. Then, all of a sudden you will hear an explosion and see bait & forage fish blown clean out of the water. This did not happen for a long time. I know my lack of water clarity probably inhibited my LMB growth, but that's what I got. I know they are there.
Charlie

Water clarity ranged from 14-30". Stayed in the 18-24 most of the time.

My main comfort is I'm not seeing near as many FHM, so maybe they have so much easy food left they just won't hit a lure. Maybe when the FHM run out I'll start seeing more LMB sign. I still would have thought I would have had an instinct strike by now.

Trophy Hunter feeder.
B
BrianL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: ewest
It is not at all unusual for LMB fingerlings (2-4 inch) stocked late spring or early summer to disappear until after the water warms the next spring. I would wait and see what this spring and summer show.

Would you wait on the HSB till next spring or go ahead this spring and stock?

Trophy Hunter feeder.
F
F
Brian, are you fishing away from the feeder? Almost every single bass I have caught from6 inch to 13 inch has been on a all white roostertail spinner and away from the feeder to get away from the cnbg.I fish it real slow.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
B
BrianL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Yeah, I have fished all the way around it probably 15+ times. I would guess 5 or more hours total fishing time, and probably 2+ hours fishing since late fall. I try to limit fishing around the feeder. I have caught 100s of CNBG, zero RES or LMB.

Last edited by BrianL; 02/28/17 01:31 PM.

Trophy Hunter feeder.
T
T
Maybe, I looked at it maybe a little different from you. I wanted to see what was there. I Stocked fingerlings June 1st. And never saw a single lmb till Oct after fishing quite a bit (like you). And I never saw one from the shore, or any feeding activity. And my continuing to wait and see did not fit my schedule or my plans. I did manage to catch one lmb during this wait and see period, I think it was in Oct(first fall after stocking) when I caught one 13" lmb. The fish was healthy and I was surprised of its size in such a short time period. But as time went on through fall and into the following spring, I saw little to no activity. For me the survey was well worth the money, and even with the warnings that I was shocking maybe at the wrong time of the year. But, after the survey, I'm glad I paid the money for the survey. If I would have waited till the following fall (suggested time to survey), I felt like I would have wasted all that time. So, as it turned out we shocked up 4 lmb in March and it was determined the pond had experienced low survival of the lmb. My cost for the survey was 7 or 800 bucks and to me it was well worth that amount. We restocked with advanced lmb (8 to 12") and right now I am seeing some really nice two yr old lmb. And the HSB that were added that first fall after the lmb fingerlings are growing good.

Last edited by TGW1; 02/28/17 01:44 PM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
B
BrianL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Tracy, I am strongly considering shocking to see where I'm at. I did stock at slightly higher numbers than they first recommended, just for insurance reasons and stocked 150 instead of 100. I was going to cull a little faster to account for the extra numbers.

Last edited by BrianL; 02/28/17 02:02 PM.

Trophy Hunter feeder.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Be careful as using culling as the main method of reducing LMB numbers often leaves you with a catchability problem. The LMB that readily bite are removed leaving the non-biters.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post428809

More on catchability - the chart below shows a > 50% reduction in catch rates over 3 generations.

Last edited by ewest; 02/28/17 03:55 PM.

Originally Posted By: BrianL
Originally Posted By: stickem'
BrianL,
I believe this:
Charlie

Water clarity ranged from 14-30". Stayed in the 18-24 most of the time.

My main comfort is I'm not seeing near as many FHM, so maybe they have so much easy food left they just won't hit a lure. Maybe when the FHM run out I'll start seeing more LMB sign. I still would have thought I would have had an instinct strike by now.

BrianL,
That is a good sign...before I stocked my LMB I would see what appeared to be black clouds of tiny FHM all around the pond. That sign of tiny baitfish no longer present in my BOW was the first thing I noticed. Your LMB will grow quick. In the first 4) months, the ones I caught went from 2 1/4" to 10 3/4". Best of luck and keep us posted.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
B
BrianL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I will. Hoping for the best, but fearing the worst. Isn't that the pond owner way:)!

Trophy Hunter feeder.
B
BrianL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
After much discussion (American Sport Fish, 2 different biologist, couple fisheries, and PB members) , many hours fishing, and observation, I think I had very very poor survival of the Tiger bass. AS the water has warmed up, the FHM that I hoped had been eaten are still there in very large schools. I have probably over 30+ hours fishing, not one bass. I am walking the edges at night with a light, nothing. Watching the surface, nothing. American Sport Fish thought with the way I stocked, those original fingerlings should be between 1-2#s and I should be catching and/or seeing fish by now.

I still have another week or so before I can get any new bass, so I will continue to fish, and watch. I think those original LMB must have stressed from something and all met the same demise. I wished I knew for sure what was the reason, but I will never know for sure.

I think this round I will go with 100-150 northern bass and a little larger size. I'm thinking the 6-8" fits my wallet. Tiger bass are only available early/mid summer, and only in 2" fingerlings. I hate to risk the same result and be a year way for knowing if they survived. I also starting to worry about my CNBG overpopulating. They have been in there over a year and doing very good.

Trophy Hunter feeder.
N
N
Brian, where did/will you get your fish. I wouldn't go anywhere but Overton's. Their website shows that 5-7" are what is available right now or 1# if you want some advanced size. I know Buffalo is a good drive from Paris, but it is worth it in my mind.

NTHA - North Texas Half Acre
Cattle Ranch Ponds
B
BrianL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I got my Tiger bass through Bob Lusk and delivered by American Sport Fish, but they only have fingerlings, and 1# northern bass. I think I need something larger than fingerlings, but don't want to spend $/# for grown fish. I haven't decided yet, but Todd has some middle size fish I am looking at. He is a little further, but I may go that route. There is a place north of me for the LMB, but would still go to Todd's for my HSB. My neighbor is wanting some tilapia, so we may do a road trip for those.

Last edited by BrianL; 03/22/17 12:30 PM.

Trophy Hunter feeder.
N
N
I got 35 6-8" LMB and 20 10-12" HSB from Todd a week or so ago. All easily survived the 2.5 hour trip.

Cattle Ranch Ponds
B
BrianL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
How many did he put per bag?

Trophy Hunter feeder.
N
N
The LMB I believe were all in one bag/box since they were smaller and don't have the sharp fins. The HSB were split into 3 boxes/bags (7, 7 and 6) due to the larger size and likelihood of stabbing each other if packed in too tight. They have it figured out how to minimize packing costs on the customer yet enough space for the fish to survive the trip. Pictures of the LMB, HSB and the bags/boxes they package them in are below.

Attached Images
3-11-17 Overtons (29).JPG 3-11-17 Overtons (32).JPG 3-11-17 Overtons (33).JPG 3-11-17 Overtons (15).JPG

Cattle Ranch Ponds

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 06:16 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?