Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,941
Posts557,760
Members18,480
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,501
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
7 members (DrewSh, Fishingadventure, catscratch, esshup, Brad346, Joe7328, Foozle), 940 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
We're doing an informal survey here. Do you subscribe to Pond Boss? If so, tell us why. If not, please tell us why not. We're looking to continue improving and need some honest answers.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
N
N
I am new to the whole pond thing. I subscribe via the app on my iPad. I love that I can purchase a magazine at a time since it helps spread out the cost. I also plan to purchase back issues once I finish the January/February and March/April 2017 issues. There is a ton of information and I learn something in every article. In most magazines I hate the advertisements that take up so many of the pages. But with Pond Boss it is actually helping me find even more information on the vendor websites. I honestly don't see how anybody manages a pond, especially new people like me, without the Pond Boss forums and magazine.

NTHA - North Texas Half Acre
Cattle Ranch Ponds
T
T
I take the PB subscription and renewed it in Dec or Jan, I think smile CRS !
I enjoy all of the mag. cover to cover. If possible, it would be nice to see something each issue on a type of fresh water fish that can be added to our pond. Maybe a qtr page describing some forage fish or minnow that can be added to our ponds, depending on water temps, or area, and maybe a supplier or where we might trap our own, a nearby body of water. Picture would be nice also. Jut a suggestion. I really enjoy the Pond Boss Magazine like it is and I think anyone that has a pond needs the Magazine.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
I have been a subscriber to Pond Boss Magazine for a few years now. Pond Boss Magazine is a unique, informative publication that brings together all aspects of the "Pond Boss World".

I enjoy the seasonal articles, the vendor advertisements, and the great pictures.

Unlike some other magazines I get in the mailbox, Pond Boss Magazine is always in great condition being that it comes in it's own sealed plastic container. Bob don't ever let anyone talk you out of the plastic sheath mailer.

I would highly recommend Pond Boss Magazine to anyone that owns a pond.

I can't remember if this is already done, but to increase subscriptions Pond Boss should consider a once a year "gift subscription" promotion around the holidays. Throw into the final issue of the year a renewal/gift promo card. Give a slight discount on "gift subscriptions". Current subscribers probably all know pond owners in our geographic area that are not subscribers that we could gift a subscription to.

Thanks for the great job in producing Pond Boss Magazine!

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Delete. Was considered NVA.

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/19/17 09:22 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
T
T
Yes, purchased the 2 year plan last go around. Would not mind seeing a 5 year purchase option for say maybe $150. I live in a house full of females that wish to watch to much HGTV and to many Love stories (when it is cold out or the sun is down). I keep the mags around so I have something to read I have an interest in.

N
N
Yes, I subscribe. I do it mainly to support Pond Boss.

As much as enjoy reading it, I typically set the magazine aside for one of my trips on the road. I enjoy reading it when I fly.

One of my favorite parts are pictures of people I read on this site. It personalizes this site for me in a small way.

B
B
Finally bought a house with some land last year and had my pond built, will be subscribing this year. Last year donated to the forum but didn't purchase the magazine. The forum is a great tool, and happy to donate. The information received can be very direct to one's goals etc. Reminds me I need to donate this year.

Print is a tough business in the digital age, the information online and in this forum when it comes to pond management is vast. I think some wonder what will I learn from the magazine that isn't on the forum?

Hard to put a monetary value on all the information I've learned on the forum but it is well above a magazine subscription etc... Just the experience the members and moderators provide save a lot of time and money on mistakes that the average owner would make. For me subscribing to the magazine and donating is a way to give back and at the same time I know I will enjoy it.

I Subscribe!
3/4 Acre Pond: HSB,SMB,YP,HBG,RES
C
CMM Offline
C
I do subscribe too. For all the reasons above, super articles, great photography, ads for things that interest me, and to help support the forum. Been a subscriber for 4 or 5 years I think, but don't quote me on that one. I have purchased gift subscriptions too and pointed fishy friends in the Pond Boss direction. I get so excited when it comes in the mail, all other "to do's" get put on hold until it's read cover to cover.

If you think the forum is full of quality content, you should get the magazine.

CMM

F
F
I'm not currently a subscriber, but plan to as soon as my budget will allow. Since I've never read an issue, I'm not sure how to make it better.

Pictures of various Algea and weeds would be nice. Pro's/Con's of various fish. That's just a couple of ideas off the top of my head. It's probably already been covered by your magazine.

I subscribe. I find the articles very informative and pictures of fish and ponds are great. Even the vender advertiser pages are kinda cool to check new products or sales. On some other points I could do without the kids corner, maybe I'm just a grumpy fart. I would love tracking notifications for magazines being sent out too. Might be a nice idea to have a fish I.D. page on the last page and change the species ever issue. Just a thought.

Forced to work born to Fish
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I've been a subscriber for quite a few years, but the harsh truth of the matter is I'm not sure if I will continue to do so. I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't read a single article out of the last several issues. My interests are just too specific these days, and that's no fault of the mag. Tons of great info in every issue, every new pond owner needs to subscribe.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
F
F
I have subscribed for 3 years now I think. Have always enjoyed it but also I feel obligated to help support the forum along with small annual contributions for all the professional help I got while building and stocking my pond and am still getting great info!!! Something I learned years ago with Bassmaster magazine is to keep every issue. I do the same with Pond Boss Mag. You might surprise yourself how much you would look at something in a back issue if you had kept them. It might even be just a phone number from an advertiser!! I would like to see a breakdown of how many members we have from each individual state. I think that would be interesting. On another note about the forum... I wish you could still figure out a simple way to post photos. Keep up the good work Bob and it was a pleasure meeting you at Brian's bbq a little while back.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
J
J
Yes. It has lots of good information.

L
L
I let my subscription lapse, primarily because of time to read is quite limited. The plan is to renew when things settle down.

X
X
I just had my pond finished in September and it is still filling. I subscribed for 2 years couple weeks ago. got the jan/feb issue and it is a great magazine. if you use this website I think the least you can do is subscribe. the info you get here is priceless imo.

.75 acre pond dug in September 2016. YP, HBG, HSB, SMB, and RES.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Tony, I also tossed them aside for a couple of years. Then, about a year ago, I started reading them. Not sure why I didn't read them for a year or two.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I hear you Dave. When we moved, I tossed out a stack of magazines, PB included, and some of those were still in their mailing wrapper. I don't like that, as its a needless waste of resources.

As I see it, there are three primary groups that make up the PB mag readership. The pond professionals, the new pond owners, and the pond fanatics. And before anyone gets offended, I use the term fanatic not in a derogatory manner, but rather to imply seriousness where a pond is concerned.

The professionals subscribe because, well, it contributes to their meal ticket. The new pond owners are in that excited, "I want to learn everything I can about ponds", phase, so they're reading anything and everything they can. Chances are we all went through, or are currently going through, that phase.

The fanatics are those who live, eat, and breathe, ponds and fish. Professionals may well be fanatics, but fanatics don't have to be professionals. I see this group as looking for that edge, searching for the smallest details to achieve their vision of pond perfection. I think this is probably the core group of subscribers, the ones who have read every issue cover-to-cover for years.

I don't think I ever made it to fanatic stage, certainly not if encompassing the entire spectrum of pond management is the yardstick by which one's degree of devotion is measured by. And definitely not these days, where I'm less concerned with all the details than I am with enjoying our ponds.

And for me, the details may well be the sticking point. From my perspective, there's not exactly a whirlwind of new and exciting development within the pond/fish industry. When I was younger I was heavily involved in hot rodding. I subscribed to most of the big name magazines of the day, and eagerly devoured them as soon as they hit the mailbox. Sooner or later however, you have to ask yourself just how many times do I need to see an article written about hopping up a small block chevy? And that was in the fast paced days of auto technology development.

Without fresh development in the pond/fish industry, what is left to write about? We could choose to delve deeper into the same subject matter, breaking it up into bite-sized pieces in an effort to educate and fill columns, and PB mag does that. But I'm not the world's brightest guy, and after a few paragraphs of excruciatingly detailed scientific evaluation, I'm ready to put the mag down and pick up a fishing rod. And I never get back to it.

Like I said, I'm not going to be a pond or fish expert now, or anytime in the future. When I walk down to the water's edge I can't tell you what family or genus that plant belongs in. But what I can do, is recognize that I've seen it before. And most importantly, I can walk right to the shelf at my farm store and point to the chemical that will take care of it, should the need arise. For my limited level of pond management, that's as far as I need to become involved. I know that's not the scenario that may be ideal, but I believe it is accurate for the vast, vast majority of pond owners.

For every fanatic, there are 20 more who buy their fish off a truck, and would never entertain the idea of hiring a pond consultant. I also recognize that's probably not a popular notion, but I believe it correct nonetheless.

And that leads me to an area of pond/water/fish management that IS experiencing change and development....legislation. And unfortunately, that's an area deemed off limits for discussion. And it has the potential to affect every single one of us.

I subscribe to PB magazine and donate to the forum, and will continue to do both. I've subscribed to various coding and technical journals over the years, and all were priced in line and published at the same frequency of PB Magazine. What I found out is that if I discovered one snippet over that subscription period that saved me hours or days of work, then that annual subscription was very inexpensive. In fact it was a bargain.

AL

J
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
J
I have subscribed to the magazine since I first found out about this website. Both are excellent resources and we are very lucky to have access to them. I leave my magazines in the front of my office for all to see and read and try to give old copies to friends who have ponds. I know they are great resources to keep but I am not an archivist. I almost feel a responsibility to try and help my friends and neighbors by telling them about the forum and getting them involved.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I subscribe. Useful information at a bargain price. Just one piece of info can more than pay for a subscription. I would like tol see the magazine expand to cover other topics.
Such as: Property taxes; liability issues; trespassing problems; dock building; high fences; water wells; tractors; zip lines; tree/plant/weed identification; weed spraying;
drone farm use; security cameras; container(ocean) uses and fix up; how to install culverts; fence water gaps and many others. One article per issue on general land owner problems would be great.

Great magazine, great price and any one who likes to fish should subscribe.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I was s subscriber from the day I found the forum almost (14) years ago.

I've been a donor since the day they set up the program.

Frankly, I'm surprised at the low number of actual donors compared to the overall active membership. Even a bit shameful when you consider the mag is only like $40.00 or so....as blunt as that may sound.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
We appreciate the input. Keep it coming.

More than once, I've heard from readers, "Each issue, I get at least one nugget we can use at our property." The best explanation I've heard from several readers is, "A year's subscription to Pond Boss costs less than a Friday dinner date." That hit me pretty hard...

Our mission is to help people become better stewards of their land and water, with a focus on water.

I can see Tony's point, if he doesn't see the value, don't subscribe. Spend that $35 on something of greater value.

I also see Tentmaker's point. Diversify the content. I'd love to do that, if I can find a writer who can cover any of those topics.

I was asked a question a few years ago by Matt Rayl. He said, "Bob, what IS Pond Boss?" I'd truly not thought about that. 15 years ago, I would have said, "Pond Boss is a magazine that comes out six times a year." But, as I thought about it, I said, "Pond Boss is a big, extended family of people with like-minded goals, trying to be the best stewards they can be. Pond Boss is a website with excellent information, a lively, healthy discussion forum and a conference every year and a half to two years...a conference and expo that's similar to a family reunion...where everyone actually likes each other. So, Pond Boss is a family of people who share thoughts, absorb ideas and meet each other all over this nation. Oh, and yes, Pond Boss is a magazine." That magazine with its readership and advertisers fuels the economy of the business of Pond Boss.

Since the magazine is the economy (along with the great folks who donate to the forum) we're looking to continue to improve and expand the subscriber base. In order to do that, we need reader and forum members to spread the word. Our subscribership is interesting. We have a renewal rate of 55-60%, every year. What that means to us is that people value the information, and want it to keep coming. Compare that rate to traditional publications with renewal rates less than 10%.

As an owner and the editor, I truly appreciate the input. Everyone who participates in this forum is a volunteer. That's a pretty big word, VOLUNTEER. The moderators do a great job of keeping the forum totally family friendly. The people who contribute answers do it to help others, without reservation and often without thanks.

Believe it or not, it costs quite a bit to keep this forum going. If we depended on the forum to pay its way, we'd be in a hole. There's a little bit of revenue from ads and the donations cover about half of the hosting fees. Magazine subscriptions and advertisers drive it.

Please keep feeding this thread and let me know what you think about my original question.

This pond management industry is still very young, but it's not far from the cusp of a tipping point. Tony referred to regulations and rules. He's right. The last few years there have been some ridiculous interpretation of laws, with policies that squash good people's intentions. But, I'll stand by our rules. No politics on this forum. As divisive as things are in that arena, there's no way I'll allow that noose around our necks.

As we move toward tomorrow, and the rest of our future, there are quite a few new trends finding their way into the pond management business. I'll say this, I think pond management is 10% science, and 90% art. If you understand enough of the science, you become proficient in the art of managing your pond.

We look forward to more ideas, suggestions and reasons why you either subscribe, or you don't.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I'm not sure if there really is an elephant in the room, or if I'm hallucinating, but I'll pick up a sharp stick and poke the pachyderm, just to see if it moves.

If the forum exists in part, maybe even a substantial part, in order to try and drive up subscription rates, then maybe a quick look at the "who's online" box on the left side of the page might provide some insight. As of this moment, 12 registered users and 251 guests. 20 onlookers, most of which are probably non-subscribers, to every registered user. Most of which probably ARE subscribers.

We're all familiar with "why buy the cow when you get the milk for free", I'm guessing? Has the PB forum become PB magazine's biggest detractor?

In my own case it's isn't about the money. Never has been. I just hate to buy anything and then not use it. Resources went into it's production. Natural resources, monetary resources, time resources, and labor resources. And I'm not reading it? That's wasteful on my part, and I don't like that.

It appears that >40% of subscribers do not re-up. Why?

X
X
how do you get the fancy "I Subscribe" icon in your signature?

the way i see it is that information is so easy to get anymore via the internet thru forums like these and google searches that people take it for granted sometimes the answers they get for FREE. there are some of the best minds in pond management on this forum and they answer questions everyday for nothing. if you don't subscribe I would think a donation is the least you can do. just think how much it would cost to hire someone every time you had a question?

.75 acre pond dug in September 2016. YP, HBG, HSB, SMB, and RES.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
How many LMB to remove?
by catscratch - 04/17/24 08:40 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/17/24 08:28 PM
No feed HSB or CC small pond?
by esshup - 04/17/24 08:21 PM
Opportunistic Munchers