Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,958
Posts557,923
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
10 members (canyoncreek, ghdmd, Bigtrh24, FishinRod, catscratch, Rick O, Jward87, Justin W, Theo Gallus, phinfan), 840 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#466926 03/17/17 08:49 AM
N
OP Offline
N
I am sure this question has been asked before. I do plan to eventually purchase a fish feeder. However, the funds are a little tight right now. And by that I mean my wife doesn't want me blowing any more money on the pond right now. Ha ha. My friend has a deer feeder he isn't using. Would it be possible to put that feeder out in the pond to feed the fish until I can convince my wife to let me buy an actual fish feeder? Has anyone ever done/tried this? Results? One of the videos posted in the "video of feeding anyone????" thread looked like a deer feeder. That's what made me think of it. Thanks.

Last edited by N.TexasHalfAcre; 03/17/17 09:16 AM.

NTHA - North Texas Half Acre
Cattle Ranch Ponds
T
T
Several here use those for fish feeding. I am sure they will jump in soon.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
TGW1 #466939 03/17/17 09:45 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Thanks Tracy. I guess since I now know that it is done/possible, my next question would be the best way to set it up and how to go about filling it. Seems I would have to have a boat or way to get out in the water since a deer feeder throws 360. Or can deer feeders be modified to throw one direction?

Cattle Ranch Ponds
I haven't done this yet but will soon be attempted. My thoughts are to put it on a small dock just to get it out from the bank at least 4 feet, maybe 8 depending on my dock budget. Once the hanger is secured to the dock (my feeder hangs from something) I will put together a sheet metal shield that catches the feed that is trying to be thrown back towards the bank and lets it slide into the water. I realize this will heavily concentrate the feed at the dock. but I don't have a better idea...YET. I have seen deer feeders out in the pond, but you have to fill it by using a boat. I'm not too hip on that idea. I have thought of putting up a clothes line on pulleys across my little pond to hang the feeder from, but I am liking the little dock idea better. Fisherman Dan posted a picture on this thread...

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=35510&Number=465434#Post465434

that shows his feeder on a small dock. This is what I have in mind except I would be using a deer feeder possible hanging over the water a bit.

Last edited by Quarter Acre; 03/17/17 10:31 AM.

Fish on!,
Noel
T
T
The sheet metal back splash should work, and I would not worry if some of the feed is concentrated at or near the end of your feeding platform if the platform ends in a foot of water or so. My bg will feed in 6" of water near the shore if its close to deeper water.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Agree with Tracy. My neighbor did it and it worked well. It helps to have a ladder handy or welded to a leg.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
NTHA,
I used a 360 degree deer feeder in my pond the first year. I had it set up in about 4' of water. It worked fine, but there are a couple of drawbacks that I experienced. I'm not as steady on my feet as I used to be, so to load the feeder I would tie my 14' alum. boat to 2 of the tripod legs to hold it still. I never did like to stand up in a jon boat, and dumping a 40-50# sack of feed (or 5 gal bucket) was not something I enjoyed doing. Another issue, was during temperature changes, I'd get a lot of moisture (fog) on the water in the early morning. The moisture would soften the feed in the cone of the feeder, then when the day would warm up, it would harden causing the feed not to fall on the spinner plate. I would periodically have to take a stake (from the top) and break up the hardened feed so it would continue to fall down through the cone to the spinner. But, it did work until I could scrape up the money for something else. I've since purchased a Texas Hunter dock feeder, it was a bit more than I intended to spend, but it is a great piece of hardware.
Charlie

...when in doubt...set the hook...
F
F
I started my fish out on a tripod feeder in about 4 foot of water. Everything Stickem' said but to help "me" with stability I had a old 6 foot folding step ladder straped to the legs of the feeder. I could stand in my pedal boat and stand on the ladder at the same time. It eventually became a royal pita!! I had to finally break down and spend the money on a Texas Hunter feeder and it was one of the best things I have done for my pond. Everyone on here told me I would eventually get one and they were right!! Mine has been on my dock for a year and a half and has fed every single day without a bit of problem.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Here was my deer feeder when my pond was restored...

This first picture was the first placement. I wrapped/taped heavy plastic around the barrel so feed dropped straight down into the square ring over deeper water. Note the "land on the far left of the feeder...that is what will be a submerged island under 2-3 feet of water dropping off quickly into 8-10 foot depths...

After the pond filled, and flooded the feeder along with 150 pounds of feed, I moved the feeder to the island, and here is a pic of gills feeding....After digging out 100+ pounds of feed that had molded due to being so exposed to constant moisture and heat from sunshine inside the barrel...I used 10' long steel pipe as legs, anchored into the island. The feeder was solid, but the boat wasn't. Bare in mind that repeatedly moistened feed, that doesn't regularly clog the cone, can produce mold... that will possibly feed your fish a lethal dose of mycotoxins....

This is a picture of the 4th, and last time I screwed with a deer feeder on a tripod...This was at 2' ABOVE the normal full pool. All in all, I replaced 6 electronic timer deer feeders, fell into the water (with 50#bags of feed) about 8 times and finally said screw it on the "cheap" substitute that cost more than a good Texas Hunter in the end.

Last edited by Rainman; 03/19/17 11:12 PM.

N
OP Offline
N
Thanks for all the advice. Based on everyone's difficulties I will probably just stick to hand feeding until I can convince my wife to let me get a fish feeder. I mean that is the point of this forum right. to learn from others experience? Maybe when we are late for something important because I have to stay home until feeding time will get the point across........ or get me divorced.

Last edited by N.TexasHalfAcre; 03/20/17 08:37 AM.

Cattle Ranch Ponds
D
D
Here is the one I use. Fill it up once a year and were good to go. This is at full pool so getting wet is no big deal. You can see the aluminum shield I made so it shoots 180.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Need help
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:49 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:38 PM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by DrewSh - 04/23/24 10:33 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by canyoncreek - 04/23/24 10:16 AM