Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jamon8 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I moved into my house about 4 years ago and when I got here there was a small fountain in my pond and I want to go a step above that this spring and aerate my pond.

I am disabled vet and would like to do this as cheap as possible as I am on a fixed budget. I would like to make my own system with a compressor that I can rebuild myself.

Attached Images
m_DSCN0035.jpg
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Read through this Aeration Thread from our Achives section. Near the bottom I put numerous links with good information about numerous topics about homemade or do-it- yourself aeration. Do lots of homework before pulling the trigger. A poorly built system with too little mixing is IMO a waste of money both in parts and with a system that wastes too much electricity and does not result in efficient mixing of the pond. Inadequate aeration is discussed in a couple of the above links. IMO it better to have too much aeration than too little. With overkill aeration you can do less than 24/7 operation each day. Reduced pump run time lengthens the life span of the compressor the most expensive part of the system.

The basic rule for aeration is the more bubbles you make and the smaller those bubbles are the more water you move. This information came from Aquatic EcoSystem (Pentair) hints in their catalog.
Too small of bubbles tend to clog more quickly that causes extra maintenance.

From your picture it looks like you may need to have 2 separate diffusers to get good top to bottom circulation throughout the pond.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92494#Post92494

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/16/17 06:51 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
jamon8 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
should I use a gast pump. I am looking for something energy efficient and rebuild-able.

what is better for longevity and the above perimeters, a rocking piston or a rotary vane. noise is not a problem, but I dont want anything too loud.

Last edited by jamon8; 03/18/17 01:39 PM.
Welcome to PBF Jamon!

How deep is the pond?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
jamon8 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I just found out that the pond is about 14 feet deep

please help

purchasing aerator next month

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jamon8
I just found out that the pond is about 14 feet deep

please help

purchasing aerator next month

Take the surface area of the pond in acres, multiply that by half the max pond depth. Multiply that number by 325,851. The number you come up with is the number of gallons of water you need to move at a minimum every 24 hr period, I would recommend moving 1.5 to 2.0 times that amount of water.

Since this is a DIY system, I can furnish you with the formulas and information for you to figure out how much CFM you need.

Here is a chart showing what the Vertex diffuser disks move GPH wise, and they need a minimum of 1.0 CFM per disk to work. At 14' max depth, your system will need to generate the volume of air needed at 9-10 psi. That gives you a few psi for fudge factor.

Rotary Vane, rocking piston or diaphragm compressor, they all are rebuildable; but you need to contact the place where you buy the compressor to see if they have rebuild kits. Vertex has rebuild kits for all their compressors.

Last edited by esshup; 04/14/17 11:56 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Is there a website to buy DIY aeration components ?
thanks

J
jamon8 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am not smart enough to do that kind of math

please make it more simple for a not so smart person

Last edited by jamon8; 04/16/17 08:03 AM.
C
C
Here is what I did for my DIY aeration. First off I read most everything on here concerning what to do and not to do. These guys know their stuff.
I went to www.hoosierpondpros.com that is linked above in Esshap above note and purchased my weighted tube and the Vertex diffusers. I only purchased the disks and built my own bases like many on here had done. I am about 17 feet deep so I went with an ebay rocking piston compressor. Between parts from Amazon and Lowes I pieced a manifold together and got mine all running. I am going to add 2 more diffusers to the shallow end that will mainly be for winter de-icing.
good luck and there is lots of info on here.
Dave

Last edited by Custom 68; 04/17/17 11:10 AM.

Thanks
Dave
1 acre pond.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jamon8
I am not smart enough to do that kind of math

please make it more simple for a not so smart person

I will take some time this evening to do the math, but before I can do that I need to know the surface area of the pond, and the maximum and average depth. Then I can run the calculations and tell you how much water you will have to move in a 24 hr period. Without knowing that information, there is no way to know what sized system you need.

It's up to you to call the different companies that supply compressors, fans, and other equipment. You will have to find out from them how much Gallons of water their diffusers move, and how much air their compressors supply at what pressure. After all, you wanted a DIY system, not a do it for me system.

Once I have the size of your pond, etc., I can PM you with a quote on the individual parts. i.e., compressor, cooling fan, diffuser assemblies and tubing from Vertex.

Last edited by esshup; 04/17/17 02:24 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
W
Originally Posted By: 58er
Is there a website to buy DIY aeration components ?
thanks

I bought all my stuff from www.Hoosierpondpros.com as well.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
J
jamon8 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am starting to get algae really bad and I dont want to treat with herbicide. I need to order a system by thursday!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for all the help so far

the pond is 14 feet deep at the deepest and gradually goes up to shore that is all I know

please give me a ruff estimate of what I need

C
C
We need to know where surface area. How large is this I cant see your attachment anymore. Unfortunately adding the aeration may not help. In fact I doubt it will much. Mine is running and I'm getting FA I may need to treat mine but I'm waiting to see if the upcoming rain will help. Good luck.
Dave

Thanks
Dave
1 acre pond.
Title of this thread says 1/2 acre.......

If I did the math right....Assuming 7 foot average depth, the pond holds about 1,141,000 gallons. So to turn the pond 2 times running a diffuser 24/7, the diffuser needs to move about 1600 gallons/min. Based on that and the chart posted by Esshup, 1 XL1 Vertex diffuser placed at 14 feet should easily do the job.

Depending on the shape of the pond, you might want to go with two diffuser stations placed to maximize access to all areas of the pond. You could then cut down run time on the compressor and save a few bucks on electricity.

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/19/17 10:33 AM. Reason: After thought

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
C
C
Ha good catch Bill sometimes the obvious eludes me. I hope that helps him out.

Thanks
Dave
1 acre pond.
J
jamon8 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
thanks for all the help guys

what system do you recommend I get

there are some on amazon that I have been looking at like this

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Aeration...ds=pond+aerator

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Installing 4-6 aeration systems in your pond will not rid the pond of the algae. Algae is due to a nutrient problem and aeration does little to change the nutrient balance in the pond.

I could not find how big the pond is??
That system linked to on Amazon is only a single head rocking piston pump that does not produce enough air volume for a pond bigger than 0.2 ac. I think two diffusers are almost 1 too many for a single head rocking piston pump. Each diffuser does not receive enough air volume to operate efficiently.

IF you are spending the money pay the extra $$ for a dual head pump that produces twice the air volume. It will opreate 2-3 diffusers well for the larger pond(0.3ac+) application. the dual head will mix the pond faster and the pump will not need to operate 24/7 and thus it will last longer - probably double the life span. Use a window air conditioner timer - 3 prong plug. In IL run 2-3 diffusers. Run time will depend on size of the pond and how old & eutrophic the pond is.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
J
jamon8 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Jamon8, your post has been deleted, and your account locked until it can be reviewed by the moderator team.

Personal attacks directed at any member will not be tolerated on the Pond Boss Forum.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 05/01/17 08:42 AM.
C
C
Jamon, if you are calling Bill Cody an idiot for thinking you still needed help with your algae, then i suspect you will not find too many others eager to help. Your posting days may be numbered...

If you need help picking out a proper system that produces the proper air flow to meet your needs, then I'm sure there are those who would be willing to set up a private email opportunity for you.

T
T
jamon8, WOW, seeking advice and help but then calling those that do the helping an idiot? I work with and for Veteran's all the time in my business, you calling yourself out as a Veteran (which has absolutely NO relevance to getting help) probably embarrasses them all. I know exactly the aeration system you need and wouldn't tell you what it is until you humble yourself and apologize. jamon8, you're acting like an entitled child.

I just got a new pond, I made it twice because I aint so bright.
J
jamon8 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
i dont need your help on such a simple thing actually. I am a Seabee

DICKS

I can't believe that you asked for help then copped an attitude. Even a SeeBee doesn't know everything..you proved it by asking for help.

BTW - I'm a disabled vet too.

Last edited by LarryHale; 05/06/17 07:14 AM.

I Was Born Without Gills, Therefore I Fish!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Jamon8 needs to go away. Far away.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Jamon, if you are calling Bill Cody an idiot for thinking you still needed help with your algae, then i suspect you will not find too many others eager to help. Your posting days may be numbered...

If you need help picking out a proper system that produces the proper air flow to meet your needs, then I'm sure there are those who would be willing to set up a private email opportunity for you.

That's like calling Einstein an idiot. What many new people to the forum don't realize is the background of many of the experts here. For instance, Bill by profession and bu schooling is an Algal & Invertebrate Taxonomist, so he knows what he's talking about when it comes to algae, what will and won't work to manage it.

One thing that I'll bet many new forum members don't read is Bobs (the site owner) rules for the forum. Here they are again.

Just to refresh everybody’s memories, here’s what Bob has outlined previously.

Welcome to the Pond Boss Forum. This is the place for sharing information about the enjoyment of private ponds in a fun, family like atmosphere.

All posts and discussions should be done as if you were talking to family or friends. Any post that appears to the management to be not in keeping with its standards will be deleted and the maker banned from the Forum. This includes any post that could be interpreted as mean spirited, offensive and/or directed toward any individual(s) or any post with unacceptable wording, or containing comments of a sexual, religious, racial or political nature or not deemed to be in "good taste". The use of any personal contact information such as E-mail address(s) or use of Private Messages must follow the same standards.

If you wouldn't say it to your Mother, don't say it to us.

The Pond Boss website moderators have been hand selected. I have broken bread with each and I know each of them quite well. They are highly qualified.

If your words are moderated, it is because they don't fall within the guidelines rules I have set. The moderators have my full support and complete discretion to moderate any thread, or to delete it, if they choose.

Support the moderators.

Most of the time, on something that's "grey", they'll discuss it among themselves and make a unified decision. They cover each other's backs. That's the way I have chosen it to be and I expect each member to respect the moderators.

I expect family-friendly harmony among members and I want each and everyone here to realize this website is about ponds, land, stewardship and helping an extended family.

I appreciate your respect and dedication to keeping this forum on target and inbounds.
Glad you are here

Bob Lusk

There are offenses that we moderators put people in "banned camp" for awhile to think about their transgressions, and others that are just flat out banned immediately and told not to come back. This instance of calling Bill C. an idiot was discussed by the moderator team along with Bob Lusk, and it was decided that this transgression falls into the "here's the door, don't let it hit you in the butt on the way out" category. Jamon8 has been permanently banned.

The next winter, when cabin fever sets in, and people are spending more time in front of the computer, everyone should keep this in the back of their mind before hitting the "Submit" button. Us moderators were tasked by Bob earlier this year to keep a tighter rein on the forum, and make sure everyone adheres to Bob's forum rules.

Last edited by esshup; 05/23/17 07:47 AM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

B
B
Originally Posted By: esshup

Take the surface area of the pond in acres, multiply that by half the max pond depth. Multiply that number by 325,851. The number you come up with is the number of gallons of water you need to move at a minimum every 24 hr period, I would recommend moving 1.5 to 2.0 times that amount of water.

Does this calculation just approximate the total gallons the pond holds?

We surveyed our pond with high accuracy GPS before it was filled and know exactly how many gallons it holds. Wondering if I should use that as a figure or do this formula.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images