Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,129
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
14 members (Bill Cody, Augie, Boondoggle, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Sunil, Angler8689, jpsdad, rjackson, esshup, jbird5986, Rick O, anthropic), 996 guests, and 217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Why didn't you ask for help a little sooner? I'll load the tractor and bushhog, along with the boom sprayer, and head north! I should be there in a couple hours, just try and hold out till I get there!!!

Nah, it does look pretty. I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing it looked like that, and would probably burn through all my accumulated leave time at work until it didn't look like that, but that's why we all have our own ponds. It's obvious that you spent a lot of time planning and implementing, well done!

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
F
F
I would say about 2/3 of the area is natural RAH. Sure isn't as nice as yours!

You guys were talking earlier about change, updating to new ways of thinking, avoiding future development, etc. There is something that we came across on a vacation years ago that I think is a bit pertinent to all of that.

We take vacations that are a bit different than what most think as "usual". I like the back roads and the small towns, and talking with the locals when we can. We were up in the northern US somewhere, I can't remember exactly. Possible the upper Dakotas, or such. Up comes a museum sign, we pull in and check it out. Nice place, very low key. It was a local history museum of the area, which dealt mostly of surviving and farming equipment was a big part of that. A little bit of machinery to show folks were displayed here and there. I start talking to the lady at the counter, asking her questions of this and that, things about what's in the show room and why did they do it this/that way. She refers me to some old guys out in the parking lot who are eying over my van, and trailer, which is another short story in itself.

I go out and start talking with the guys and they have us go into this monstrous building. Inside is filled with tractors and equipment of all kinds. Hundreds of them,... small, big, equipment, combines, etc. They don't open this up for the general public because it is so full that you have to crawl over, and under, to see all of it. It all runs, and once a year they pull it all out to run them. There was one guy that was in charge of how it all fits! With out him they would be lost. Anyway, we come up to this tractor that has the typical steering wheel for it's time period, but there is something more to it. There was a set of ropes and such, attached to it in a peculiar way. Curious, I asked what the deal was with it. He explained that when the steering wheel came out, the old guys had a hard time with it, couldn't cope with it I guess. So they attached a set of reigns to it and fashioned it in a way so it would drive like a team of horses!! ... Change is hard, and sometimes takes a long time to happen.

F
F
Those pictures are great Rah, My eyes never tire of seeing them. I have tried a few wild planting myself, and I know they just don't happen. A lot of work there.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
My wife was a horticulture major, and I am in the agricultural field. We are also fortunate to have had many knowledgeable folks to teach us, like the folks here on this forum. My first pond stocking was a lot less than ideal (too many fish). A winter fish kill has things back on track. If my neighbor was not exaggerating too much, he saw a lunker LMB cruse past when he was fishing in that pond last week. He said it ignored his attempts to catch it. He did catch some smaller ones and some keeper BG. I need to get some update pictures of the new pond. It is coming along pretty good. I need some picture of the bald cypress knees in this older pond too. They are pretty cool. Spring is in the air here in central Indiana. I just hope the law of averages does not catch up with us and blast the plants, frogs, etc. The Sandhill cranes think ice is out.

Pic of artesian pond a couple months ago (I think)

Last edited by RAH; 03/05/17 10:23 AM.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
That's awesome. Nice work!

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
The rusty streak in the middle is where the iron-laden water comes in through a hole I drilled through the rock.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I remember reading about the rock drilling. Very creative.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
It was my first attempt at drilling rock, so I was not sure how it would go. Finding a rock with a natural groove in it was a real plus. It looks like water has been flowing over it for thousands of years. Can't wait to get all the plants growing nice. I will need to wait till I get he fen built first. I have 300 years of plans...

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: RAH
I have 300 years of plans...

Sounds familiar.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
With a dozer and a backhoe, I should now be able to put a dent in some projects.

S
S
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
Did you see this one

http://www.palletforks.com/3-point-hitch...CFQqoaQod8x8OPQ

I didn't realize something like this was out there. Might come in handy for those trimming around a pond. I use an old sickle bar mower, but of course that don't follow the uneven contour of a pond so well. Looks like this thing coasts along the contour. I wonder if it would have a long enough reach.....

Yes I did. DR makes one about like that only at a higher price. I'm guessing this is the Chinese knock off of a DR.

I have toyed with the idea of making a bracket and arm on the front of my loader and just suspend a cheap lawn mower by chains. Use a hyd cylinder to adjust the angle to the bank. I've got way more ideas than I have energy to implement. grin

Last edited by snrub; 03/05/17 03:50 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
J
OP Offline
J
I have been looking at flail mowers for maintaining the edges of the property. Anyone have experience with them?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I've never owned a flail, but I have used one a few times. Right now, where I'm at with our property, a flail would be my choice.

My wife and I went to buy a new tractor yesterday. We decided upon the LS brand, model XR4145. A 45 hp, 4000 lb unit, big enough to do what I needed it to do, the last tractor we should ever need. It's been a long, hard fought struggle with myself to reach this point.

We arrive at the dealership where we're met by the owner. I've known this guy for many years, we both sold and serviced equipment, attended the same update schools, helped each other when we could. His wife is my second cousin. In short, I'm comfortable with him.

We talk for a moment, and I tell him what we're there for. He hands me a set of keys, and off I go for a test drive. I climb on and fire it up, mostly concerned with the operation of the loader. In a few moments he shows up, I shut it down and we start talking. After a few minutes discussion of my intended usage, he hints at the idea that this might not be the tractor I really need. No surprise here, upselling is the domain of a good salesman, right?

Except he's not trying to move me up into another machine, he wants to move me down into a smaller, less expensive tractor. Turns out, he believes the 4145 is overkill for what I need. Now when it comes to tractors, I'm a firm believer on weight first, horsepower second. And more of both is better. He doesn't share that philosophy, and when we measure the distance between the rear wheels, I have to agree. If we go with this unit, we're buying new implements...he is happy to sell me those, but I'm not taken with the idea.

So, he recommends moving down to the next smaller, 3100 series. I don't like that, as I'm giving up almost 1000 lbs and 5 hp. He claims, much as snrub has, that the 4WD will level the playing field compared to my 801. But dropping down also gets me that smaller front axle, and that makes me nervous. So I climb up on the smaller tractor and head to his mulch piles. And I got it dirty. It performs well, but I'm still cautious.

He sees my hesitation, and offers to bring the tractor out to my place, and let me keep it for a week just to make sure it will do what I want. Very kind on his part, but I wouldn't feel right about that, so I decline.

In the end, we left without a new tractor. But, we are going back on Monday to take another look. And we did start the paperwork. Still not convinced, but we'll see.

T
T
Sparky, it sure sounds like you have your mind made up on getting the larger tractor and that is fine if that is your hearts desire. Butt!! I would not get any tractor without 4 wheel drive. Reminds me of my sons story where his buddy's dad and I bought a tractor around the same time. Mine is 4 wheel drive and his is not. His son told my son, my dad is stuck all the time and I have to get him out. I know my son told him, my dad gets stuck sometime too, but not all the time.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Tracy, I'm not sure of anything. I keep going back and forth. Both tractors are 4WD however.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I've never owned a flail, but I have used one a few times. Right now, where I'm at with our property, a flail would be my choice. (snip)

I have pretty much cleared the parts I am going to clear and am in maintenance mode now. That's where the flail comes in. All I will need to cut is tall grass, weeds, and light, tender sprouts. I used the DR walk behind brush mower last summer to maintain, but it takes a long time at 26 inch cut, and beats me up a little. Since then, I have cleared maybe 1/8 acre more.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Same here, John. The horrendous stuff is mostly done, so I would choose a flail.

G
G
About 8 years ago I had intended on buying a new 4wd Kubota, but after realizing how absurd the additional cost of 4wd is compared to 2wd I opted to purchase a 45hp 2wd model, as opposed to paying the same price for a 25hp 4wd, or as opposed to paying an additional 6 or 7k for a 45hp 4wd.

I feel that tractor manufacturers are overcharging for 4wd due to their popularity, much like the auto makers do with pickup trucks. Four wheel drive used to be a relatively inexpensive option for a pickup, until a multitude of Southerners were summoned by the Redneck mating call of off-road tires humming on the asphalt.

Since my purchase, I have absolutely no regrets. Sure, there are rare occasions when I could probably use a 4wd. On those rare occasions I'm usually able to improvise by way of using counter weight, engaging the differential lock, changing angle of attack, or simply saying, “screw it” and proceed to move elsewhere and tear up something else. For the most part (97.25% of the time) I don't need 4wd. I certainly don't need it for mowing, road maintenance, and most FEL work. If I were backing out of a sand pit with a full bucket and loading dump trucks on a regular basis a 4wd would certainly come in handy.

A 2wd tractor also provides for a tighter, quicker turning radius without using the turning brake, less wear and tear on the turf when turning, fewer expensive moving parts, less maintenance, and whole lot less overconfidence when approaching a task you should probably avoid.............. I've yet to stick my 2wd. Not saying that I never will. I just tend to avoid those scenarios. Same goes for my 2wd pickup.

I'm not knocking 4wd tractors or pickups, as I think they're excellent machines to have. Just depends on a person's needs, or their desire to spend extra for an option they may rarely need. For me, monetarily, the ends don't justify the means............ I took the money I saved on my tractor purchase and spent it on implements, recreational activities, a new guitar, and a couple of girlfriends. smile

S
S
Good luck on whatever you decide spark. I think you would be happy with either one.

My experience is I went with a 26 hp tractor and was very happy with it. But mostly because I wanted it rather than need, I traded up to a 38hp (and I thought the dealer did me well on my trade since it was only 3 yrs old and he had it sold almost immediately). So for what it is worth sparky, if you can swing it, get what you really want. Unless your acreage is confined to small places where the smaller tractor will get about better, I can't see you ever being unhappy (other than the original cost) ever going with the larger one. Even the larger one is likely still going to be as manuverable or more than what you have been used to.

My wife always encourages me to get what I want. Because invariably when I do I am satisfied, and when I compromise there is always that little wish I did it different.

Edit: this is assuming they are both hydrostats. If the bigger one is gear, for utility work, I would definitely go with the hydrostat. Now if a person is doing heavy tillage and constant draft pulling, different story. But for homeowner use, nothing beats the utility of a 4wd hydrostat. That is not saying a gear 2wd will not work, because it will. But one is like driving a luxury car compared to driving a low end compact car. They both will get you there. It just all depends on how much you want to enjoy the ride.

Last edited by snrub; 03/12/17 02:46 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I went to the top HP for category 1 equipment. That keeps implement costs lower and less wear and tear on the tractor due to insufficient HP. It also keeps the tractor smaller for getting around in tight spots. I have a gear tractor, but we also use it for field work (vegetables). Bought it new 27 years ago and its the only tractor we owned until my brother gave me a backhoe last year.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
RAH, if you're happy with that 1070, then maybe that narrows it down for me. I looked up the specs on the Deere, and they are very close to the 3100 series. The 4100 is a lot bigger, but maybe I don't need that much tractor. They are both hydros.

Gully, I hear what you're saying. I bought a new 4wd pickup in the fall of 2015, and haven't had it in 4wd, on the street, one time. And only a handful of times off road. Most of the utility tractors are actually 4 wheel assist, not full-time 4WD. I don't intend to use front wheel assist every time I climb on, just when needed. And having 4 wheels pull does give you the ability to brake all four wheels also.

J
OP Offline
J
I have had my 4WD pickup six years now. I have had it in 4WD maybe eight or nine times so far and probably at least four of those times I would have had to call a tow if not for 4WD. They would have had to come a good distance to get me too. The first time I used 4WD in it was to pull my son out of a low place in a parking lot in a freak 18" snowstorm in the late winter of '11. He was facing into a light post and couldn't back up in his 2WD pickup. I didn't even spin, and he was amazed. He sold it and bought an older 4WD dually diesel a couple years later. My new (to me) tractor is 4WD, and I didn't consider 2WD.

Even with the 4WD and diff lock on my tractor, I've had a couple of times I was in trouble. Both times I had the FEL on the tractor and used it to push/pull me out enough with the bucket to get traction. My advice, if your place is small and you only want to maintain one tractor, make sure it has a FEL.

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/12/17 08:47 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
P
P
+1 on that Bill. The bucket can be a lifesaver

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
It's here. Not really sure about it yet, I need to get some seat time and see what I think before passing judgement. It's such a far cry from what I'm used to, I'm unsure whether it's my inexperience, or the machine itself. My initial assessment from a whopping 20 minutes of operation is that the 60 year old 801 it's supposed to replace, would absolutely eat it's lunch. If it were my first tractor I would be thrilled, and probably outside wrapping it in a blanket. But it isn't my first tractor.

It runs good, and operates like a dream. Very easy and intuitive. It's light....way light compared to what I'm used to. The notion that 4WD makes up for light weight, appears ludicrous at this time. But, that may be my unfamiliarity talking again. I love the simplicity of operation that the hydro offers, with it's twin pedal setup, but I'm expecting more grunt from the transmission. The old Ford, and the even older Allis, will continue to pull right up until they 1) Lose traction, 2)stall the engine, 3) Twist something expensive in two. The LS just stops...no wheel slip, no stall, no breakage, (okay I like that part), nothing, Just "That's all I've got, not doing any more". That's weird. Maybe normal for hydros, maybe I need to max the rpm out, I just don't know. I do know if it were a hydro mower that came into my old shop and acted like that, I would be checking for a slipping belt, or a worn hydraulic pump/motor. We'll see.

Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 09:00 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday