Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,075
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,412
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 820 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#466594 03/13/17 12:11 PM
DrLuke Online Content OP
OP Online Content
So as part of ongoing work to improve the water quality on my highly euthrophic pond, I need to repair one of the silt catch ponds. I was happy to have them already built by the original owner, but as with many other things, they fell into disrepair over the years. The background is: 2.5 acre pond, ave 8-9 feet in center, 2 feet in longest 'finger'. The silt catch pond dam needing repair feeds into that long finger. It is fed by an Ag tile across the road, and has water flowing year round. I have not tested it yet, but very likely this water is high in nitrates from Ag run-off, varying seasonally. The catch pond is approx 30 x 50 feet and has two 4 inch PVC pipes running through it's dam. The pipe on the woods side has developed a leak around it, and is beginning to excavate around the pipe. No doubt it will breech the dam if left another season.
Question: When having the dam repaired, would one central flow pipe work equally as well as two? Is having the pipe be a stand pipe the best idea? Is the depth of the catch pond critical for particulate settling? Or for nitrate reduction? Do nitrates even come down in concentration by sitting in the catch pond before entering the big pond? I'm thinking this is a major source of this pond's water quality issues, and since I'm tackling it this season, I would love to hear back from the collective wisdom of the PB forum.
I did 'do my homework' and read through the archives looking for similar problems and solutions, but nothing quite answered my questions.
Thanks fellas!
3 inches of snow over night here in southeast Iowa. Yuck.
[img:center][/img]

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
DrLuke Online Content OP
OP Online Content
I've also attempted to find information on nitrate mitigation, and come up empty. Anyone with experience? I'm wondering if the catch pond IS the key step in this, but it may also have no impact.

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I can't answer all your questions. But, from my research on natural swimming pools, the area that is needed to be in plants to clean the water (removing nutrients to facilitate clear swimming water in place of a mechanical filtration system and chemicals) needs to equal the area of the swimming pond. It also has to receive full sunlight for the plants to flourish.

I don't know if the retention time of the water in your catch pond would be long enough to lower the nutrient level enough to help. For a silt catch pond, I think it would work great. But, I don't know how much silt comes into your pond from the upstre4am side vs. the natural eutrophication process in your 2.5 acre pond. i.e. leaves, etc., and other silt washing in from the banks of the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
DrLuke Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Originally Posted By: esshup
I can't answer all your questions. But, from my research on natural swimming pools, the area that is needed to be in plants to clean the water (removing nutrients to facilitate clear swimming water in place of a mechanical filtration system and chemicals) needs to equal the area of the swimming pond. It also has to receive full sunlight for the plants to flourish.

I don't know if the retention time of the water in your catch pond would be long enough to lower the nutrient level enough to help. For a silt catch pond, I think it would work great. But, I don't know how much silt comes into your pond from the upstre4am side vs. the natural eutrophication process in your 2.5 acre pond. i.e. leaves, etc., and other silt washing in from the banks of the pond.

I've researched adding rooted plants to my pond, but have been leary so far. I worry about creating a control problem I didn't originally have. But right now, I have cattails along the main dam (and ONLY there, oddly enough) and lots of FA. I've wondered if planting that long finger with rooted plants wouldn't be the worst idea, given that it's too shallow at this point for much effective fishing.

Originally Posted By: DrLuke
....I've researched adding rooted plants to my pond, but have been leary so far. I worry about creating a control problem I didn't originally have. But right now, I have cattails along the main dam (and ONLY there, oddly enough) and lots of FA. I've wondered if planting that long finger with rooted plants wouldn't be the worst idea, given that it's too shallow at this point for much effective fishing.

Doc,

FWIW I look at rooted vegetation a little differently. You see, "I worry about creating a control problem I didn't originally have." I see, "creating habitat I didn't originally have." IMO when it comes to vegetation, you can choose desirable species and get them going or let Ma Nature fill the gap and take what you get. She will fill the gap given time.

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/13/17 07:28 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy