Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,958
Posts557,921
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
12 members (Sunil, canyoncreek, Jward87, catscratch, Joe7328, DrewSh, teehjaeh57, jludwig, Shorthose, Justin W, Don Kennedy, Kanon M), 854 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Mark, that's a tough one. I generally tell people that I am raising fish, not catching them. If I fish my 1.5 acre pond over about 3 or 4 times per year the fish get hook shy. And, a fish caught during the summer hot water is probably going to die.

I have had the same problem with deer hunting. I like the idea of getting kids involved in outdoor activities like fishing and hunting. I've been too successful with 4 kids hunting 133 acres. They started at 10 years old and are now 18. Their parents can't afford a deer lease. The deer figured it out and I now rarely see anything but tracks.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Mark,

As you know, I invite a lot of people out to the farm. I have not yet had a big problem with anyone I have invited. I have a lot of rules and I make darn sure the rules are known in advance. I always have a project available if needed to fill the time and use up some "extra" energy.

Also, If some one wants to come out, I ask if they are expecting to bring any one with them right up front. If they try to change the request, it is at my discretion, and they only get one chance to do that. If it happens again, a family emergency pops up and the outing is CNXed.

Fishing is about having fun and my research. If they are going to fish, they are going to cull and clean the ones I want. If I have the WW out, they can have any fish they want, they have earned them.

I only let very good friends shoot. If I have a new shooter come out, they are one on one, and I am the boss, period. Any push back, and its over. The range is closed, even if I am the bad guy.

If someone wants to bring out family, and then more family, and then more family, and then... I'll have a conversation with the original person and ask why I have earned this disrespect. That said, we have great places and they want to share them with their family. So it is a balancing act. If you don't want any problems, don't invite anyone, but please don't change the combo on the gate...

I find the easiest way to minimize the problems is to be up front on the rules, and enforce them.

Of course, shooting a snake or two also sets the tone smile

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Brian, what does this mean? " If you don't want any problems, don't invite anyone, but please don't change the combo on the gate... "

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

I know the combo to mark's gate.... smile

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OK. Please PM that to me.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Since you're passing out gate combo's, I'll need directions too!

Here we go...

Fish on!,
Noel
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Don't worry, Noel.

Zep gave Brian permission to fish, and I'm friends with Brian, so I have permission too.

I'll send you the combo when I get it!!

That'd be grate, I'll jus asoom I can bring sum close family (for a vacasheon, a week or so, or atleast til tha moonshine runs out)...

Fish on!,
Noel
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Sunil
OK. Please PM that to me.

Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre
Since you're passing out gate combo's, I'll need directions too!

Here we go...

Hey Now! I do have friends! cool

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Mark, that's a tough one. I generally tell people that I am raising fish, not catching them. If I fish my 1.5 acre pond over about 3 or 4 times per year the fish get hook shy. And, a fish caught during the summer hot water is probably going to die.

Dave, I do the same thing. Most don't get it and likely feel I'm being selfish. Drop close to $1mm of hard and soft money on an investment coupled with multiple near death experiences being stupid and one tends to become selective on whom has access. Further, never been able to get over the magical plus 1 on invites to friends to fish. Always has bugged me...hope you don't mind I invited a buddy or two with me? What am I going to say?

Oh, and Zep, I've never had anything like you or others have mentioned happen...I don't think I could have handled it so diplomatically. I recommend setting firm ground rules - there are plenty of Federal and State rec areas they can frequent and there's no limit on the number of friends you can bring along! Note the condition of those rec areas in NE are always littered with trash.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
S
One of our "perks"for our farm employees is they can fish the pond. Each spring I type up (modify last years) a single page of regulations for them to follow. It is in writing, so there is no "I thouht you meant". It covers what they can and can't take to eat, slot limits, etc.

The rule I have is they personally can fish the pond anytime they like (as long as it is not company time and I am paying wages..... eek ) . Some day I may have to modify that, but to date no one has been a problem of excessive use. They can bring a buddy, or they can bring their family. What they can not do is let their family or buddy come without them. They (the employee) is ultimately responsible for anything that goes on at the pond. If they or their group trash it up or otherwise behave improperly, fishing rights can be eliminated. We only keep responsible employees, so to date it has worked fine. We actually only have a few that take advantage of it a couple times a year.

I know this would not work for die hard fishermen, which I am not. My pond is for general recreation with trophy fish only by accident if it happens. So hook shy fish is not a big concern for me. Just get some HYBG and they bite pretty readily.

My contribution to this thread is that I use written rules so there is no ambiguity, and I make sure that there is a single person held responsible for any group actions. My grandson brings buddies to fish, but he gets advance permision and he knows if there is trouble he is the one responsible for any of their actions and his privelages as well as his buddies are subject to revocation.

Last edited by snrub; 03/09/17 02:30 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
A couple of thoughts. Be sure of the liability you assume by inviting people over. What happens is ultimately on you even if your guests act in a stupid manner. Be upfront with your rules and make them acknowledge that they understand and will follow them.

I have a rule that applies to me - if kids are fishing then I don't fish. Its about their safe and enjoyable experience not mine.

T
T
The best thing I ever done unintentionally to prevent unwanted fishing was to start Hosting the Disadvantaged / Handicap fishing event. Things changed after the word got out what was happening there.

It appears most People do not want to be labeled as TAKING or STEALING from HANDICAP CHILDREN. I no longer find the magical floating corks and unknown foot prints on a regular basis. Friends are no longer harassing me about fishing and taking fish as they know the fish go towards a good cause. The few people that do fish are generally very respectful and will only take enough for a meal.

By no means does it end every problem though, New problems present themselves in other ways. For example had a dad that brought a disabled child and I arrived to find him fishing and the child in the vehicle.

T
T
Originally Posted By: ewest
A couple of thoughts. Be sure of the liability you assume by inviting people over. What happens is ultimately on you even if your guests act in a stupid manner. Be upfront with your rules and make them acknowledge that they understand and will follow them.

I have a rule that applies to me - if kids are fishing then I don't fish. Its about their safe and enjoyable experience not mine.

Personal Umbrella Coverage thru my insurance company is a $275 annual payment for $1,000,000 in coverage. They sent me a estimate the other day to up it to $2,000,000 for a $450 annual payment.

Last edited by Tums; 03/09/17 04:28 PM.
B
B
Good ideas and info in this thread...I have a just built 3/4 acre pond with many family and friends/kids etc that plan on fishing . I realize a 3/4 pond isn't going to take a lot of fishing pressure, going to try and limit it best I can . I am also going to try and stock fish that can be ladder stocked/removed and hopefully eliminate some of the hook shyness...HSB, HBG, YP, etc...

Also will help having a pool, and will encourage guest to 'feed' the fish at times when fishing pressure has been heavy. I think some kids would enjoy throwing pellets and walking the pond as much as fishing.
Honestly, most kids will fish for awhile , catch a few and then be done...so not real bad....but like mentioned in the post, it is usually adults and friends of friends that cause issues... or kids visiting that aren't fishing or 'bored'...

I Subscribe!
3/4 Acre Pond: HSB,SMB,YP,HBG,RES
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: ewest
A couple of thoughts. Be sure of the liability you assume by inviting people over. What happens is ultimately on you even if your guests act in a stupid manner.

Thanks Eric....I did add an umbrella.

I wonder if placing a property into a trust is of any value in regard to liability? Right now I have it in an LLC.

Originally Posted By: Tums
Personal Umbrella Coverage thru my insurance company is $275 annual payment per every $1,000,000 in coverage.

Tums I did the same thing...see below & yes I sleep better at night...lol

B
B
+1 on the umbrella policy, had it with my old house that had in ground pool and will have it for my pond and pool on new house.

I Subscribe!
3/4 Acre Pond: HSB,SMB,YP,HBG,RES
J
J
A farm pond is not considered an "attractive nuisance" like a swimming pool is.

Great thread.

Mark, I tell people it's flyfishing only here. When they ask about the LMB, I tell them I have great big perch! That handles most of them.

My neighbor across the street helps a lot too. He knows everybody, and when they ask him about my pond, he tells them that they ain't fishin' there, so don't ask. I try to keep his pond nicely stocked.

I've actually gotten access to some ponds by offering to cull LMB for the absentee owner. They would set the sizes, and we would follow the rules.

AL

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Last year a couple of the "kids" that I have taken hunting and fishing for years, now 18 YOA, went to my place to hog hunt and fish. I didn't have a problem and they know where I keep the keys to the gate, house, 4 wheelers, etc. When I got there a week later, I looked for my box of flies. Couldn't find them. Some in my fly collection are over 50 years old and some were made for me by George. Those 2 went back up to look for them but also couldn't find them. The one that was fly fishing told me that he would replace them. He ties great flies and can do it in a hurry. I checked with him several times and kept getting excuses. After a couple of months, I texted him and got another excuse. I texted back that I was through with him and that he wasn't coming back. About an hour later he texted that he had tied about 25 to 30 flies for me. The other "kid" told me that he hadn't built the subject flies. I didn't respond and won't respond. He didn't hunt last year on my place and isn't welcome back. I hated to do it. But, having served in the military with some 17 and 18 year olds, I'm not inclined to cut any slack to anyone who disrespects me and my hospitality. My grandson and the other "kids" understand completely.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Zep insurance is a great idea. Others just because you do things right does not mean someone will not file suit at the drop of a hat. Be sure your insurance includes the cost of defense. Can't advise on TX law as to LLC vs trust but neither one protects a person who is negligent. The property may be protected but the person may not be. It depends. Written releases are a good idea.

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Thanks Eric.

Sometimes I wish I could put myself in a trust!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Need help
by Jward87 - 04/23/24 11:37 AM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by Kanon M - 04/23/24 11:04 AM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by DrewSh - 04/23/24 10:33 AM
What did you do at your pond today?