Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,075
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,412
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 820 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Do you guys ever have this problem?

When I invite friends/family to come out to the property it almost always leads to a growing list of additional visitors.

My worst experience was one guy asked to come fish, after I said yes, he then said "do you mind if I bring my brother?", I said "sure", then the next day he said "do you mind if my dad tags along too"...sure no problem. By the time Saturday arrived and all the guys, wives, cousins, and kids kept arriving there was 17 people there. Yes I am not kidding you....everybody is all smiles, having a good time...so what do ya do? I didn't want to be the bad guy. I will say that guy has not been invited back, and he has asked, and I just say "not this weekend".

Recently another friend asked if he could "come out for his birthday and fish for the day"...of course I said sure. A few days later he stated his brother was coming as well to enjoy his birthday too. Then next his brother's wife wants to come, and then the wife now wants to bring some grandchildren.

Look I know we have these places to enjoy with our friends and family....and it's certainly not too much fun sitting at the pond all by yourself 52 weeks a year....but good grief it just seems like people don't get it.

I don't wanna be rude or scare people off. How do you guys diplomatically handle invited guests inviting more guests?

In the big picture it doesn't happen that often, so maybe it's really not worth worrying about?

Trying to avoid this...lol

(this isn't actually my place)

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I think you just have to be clear.

When the first person asks, you can say, "yes, you can come by yourself."

Or, when that person asks about about a second person, say "OK, but no more than that."

Truly, the person who does that kind of thing (ask about bringing more people, or just showing up with more people) is really just an ass with no respect for your place, and there's no reason to have them in your life.

Now, just to give a little love, what if a guy says "Hey, can me and my kid come over and fish?" I think that is not the mark of an ass, so I would reply "yes, but only the two of you."

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

T
T
That is ridiculous Mark!

I think from now on if someone asked you say sure....no problem, but only you.

B
B
lol... I can see this happening to me if I'm not careful. Maybe limit the # of fishing poles? One invite one chance rule. Probably best to just say no, and put a stop to it before it becomes an issue.

I have people in my family like that. It is really not a lack of respect, but everything turns into a big gathering. More the merrier thing. It is just the way they are, and always have big gatherings at their place as well.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
I have a couple events every year at my place (clay pigeon shoots/BBQs) and have had to curb a similar problem. Albeit, I am part of the event, but do need some control on the volume and maturity of the guests. I invite friends, coworkers, and neighbors, but have to insist that there be an age limit. I can't have fun (at my own party)with youngsters running around possibly unsupervised while 10 to 20 grown ups are shooting clays. In my case, the requirement for excepting the invite is "no one under the age of 15 and they must be engaged with the shooting" not running though the creek or chasing the dogs or whatever. It works pretty good, however, the disadvantage is some folks can't come if they can't bring their spouse and kids. The advantage is that I can still have a relaxed time hosting an event.

Zep, if that many people showed up at my pond (like your picture), I'd turn the neighbor's dobermans out and watch'em scatter.

I think you have to just stand up for your comfort zone and rely on the guest/s respecting your wishes. Once my pond has fish to catch in it, the neighbor boy will have an open invitation so long as the following 25 rules are observed. I'll spare you the rules, you get the picture.

Fish on!,
Noel
R
RAH Online Content
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
R
I like the idea of one pole. That way they can decide if they want to share, rather than you being the bad guy.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: RAH
I like the idea of one pole. That way they can decide if they want to share, rather than you being the bad guy.

Along these same lines, you could designate some of your rods as the only rods that can be used on your pond. Properly rigged and ready to go and the only rods that are allowed.

B
B
IMO you need to be direct and address this issue.

Because if you don't head it off head on, it is only going to be worse down the road.

Someone is going to see a trophy fish (from their perspective) and come back around early, late, or when you're not there. Someone is going to leave a hook on the ground and someone you care about is going to step on it.

NO ONE came around our pond for almost 15 years. It sat abandoned, the road overgrown, the dock rotted away, weeds everywhere, etc etc etc. Only after I fixed the road, the dock, the pond side, and stocked the pond did family start coming around. And then they brought friends. And it has turned into a nightmare of a situation where one set of cousins come with friends and leaves trash, broken bottles and glass, shoot across the pond casings eject into the pond, burned our firewood we seasoned and stacked, etc.

Very few want to do the work. But many want to enjoy the fruits of that labor (and cash). People ... unfortunately many are lazy, disrespectful, selfish, and just douchetards.

I hope you feel comfortable enough to speak to whomever you share your pond with to set the rules and explain why.

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
ya know it's not even so much the amount of fishing, it's just the sheer volume of people that are not invited, but tag along...the wives, the in-laws, the friend of a friend, the kids, the grandkids..."can we drive the ATV's?"...one kid brought his sling-shot and was constantly picking up gravel rocks off the road and slinging them into one of the ponds...ok a few rocks don't cost that much....but hell that gravel road sure did cost a lot! people/parents, they just don't think about stuff, they think all this beauty we create at our ponds was "just Pooof and it all happened by accident", but i am not becoming a hermit!...lol...i guess it is something we all have to deal with sooner or later.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Always good to limit the amount of invites given and the amount of people who attend.

I recall one time several years ago when we had two Honda 100cc dirtbikes and a sweet 50cc Honda minibike. We didn't have helmets for them.

Two parents brought up their 12 year old kid, and the kid wanted to ride any of the dirt bikes or the minibike.

I said no 'cause we didn't have helmets, and the kid proceeds to make everyones' life hell 'cause he can't ride the motorbikes.

What was worse was that the parents were telling me it was OK if the kid rode without a helmet. I still said no.

B
B
Originally Posted By: Zep
ya know it's not even so much the amount of fishing, it's just the sheer volume of people that are not invited, but tag along...the wives, the in-laws, the friend of a friend, the kids, the grandkids..."can we drive the ATV's?"...one kid brought his sling-shot and was constantly picking up gravel rocks off the road and slinging them into one of the ponds...ok a few rocks don't cost that much....but hell that gravel road sure did cost a lot! people/parents, they just don't think about stuff, they think all this beauty we create at our ponds was "just Pooof and it all happened by accident", but i am not becoming a hermit!...lol...i guess it is something we all have to deal with sooner or later.

My wife calls this "grump old man syndrome". And yes I think we all get it, some faster than others.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Sunil
the kid wanted to ride any of the dirt bikes or the minibike. I said no 'cause we didn't have helmets, and the kid proceeds to make everyones' life hell 'cause he can't ride the motorbikes.What was worse was that the parents were telling me it was OK if the kid rode without a helmet. I still said no.

Sunil I know the feeling....it's happened twice now....yes I am an idiot allowing it to happen....but what starts out is the kid is riding with Dad. Then 20 mins later I see Dad fishing and the kid rides by solo on the ATV. Lawsuit waiting to happen. So from now on it's going to be "sorry the ATV's are not working". I copied an ATV release agreement off the internet, but heck signed agreement or not, people will still sue you if they break their neck, even if they are riding recklessly.

B
B
I grew up in an Illinois county (St. Clair) that was/is loaded with personal damage attorneys....and a couple of them are my friends (scary I know). They have always told us to dramatically limit the number of people we allow to go fishing at our place on their own (we do) and to never, ever allow their kids to ride our ATVs, motorcycles, Polaris', etc. They would tell you that if somebody gets hurt, in many cases, no matter how well you know them they will still sue....and that comes from their own experiences.

You just have to strictly control access or it can quickly get out of hand. It always amazes me that people who fished there with someone we know will later call us on their own and ask to fish or assume they can just show up and fish. We have had to tell many people "no" over the years but do have a core group that fishes the BOWs and knows and follows the rules.

We share our place with family and friends, and we like to do that, but there has to be some limits and the people using the place have to understand and follow the rules.

My two cents for what it is worth. BM61.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Plus none of us want anyone, especially kids, to get injured.

This kid made life so miserable for everyone when he couldn't ride.

A few weekends later, the parents remember to bring a helmet for the kid. So, we let him ride one of the hundreds, and the kid monopolizes the thing so no one else could ride the damn bike (one of the 100cc wasn't running well). One time, the kid was riding right through the camp area, and I was blatantly flagging him down to stop, and the pissant just kept going!!!

I like those parents, but they really never set the kid straight.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Sunil
I was blatantly flagging him down to stop, and the pissant just kept going!!!

Yep Sunil...that kid never met my Dad. Would only happen once. My Dad, God Bless him...he hardly ever, ever, ever spanked us...but when he looked at ya...you sat up straight and behaved.

J
J
I don't invite anyone locally but my sister and BIL. Those catfish cost $$$ to feed to the size they are, and are too easy to catch in our small pond. I have a neighbor 2.5 miles south who has 1.5, 4, and 7 acre ponds. He lets me fish, but I know the rules and never bring anyone, not even my wife, and I only go there a few times a year.

A terribly sensitive subject. As a rule... not all, but most people do not like to fish alone. A kid fishing with adult supervision that is respectful of my property, I probably would not mind on an invite only basis. To people wanting to fish, I explain that I have incurred a substantial investment & expense, and how many fish would they like to "buy".....that usually ends the conversation quickly. I hate to be that way, but left unchecked folks will abuse your resource.
Charlie

Last edited by stickem'; 03/08/17 07:07 PM.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
R
RAH Online Content
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
R
I tend to be a direct person. I have guests that fish, but have not had a single problem. I am not mean, but I am clear. I do love watching kids catch fish!

J
J
Originally Posted By: stickem'
A terribly sensitive subject. As a rule... not all, but most people do not like to fish alone. A kid fishing with adult supervision that is respectful of my property, I probably would not mind on an invite only basis. To people wanting to fish, I explain that I have incurred a substantial investment & expense, and how many fish would they like to "buy".....that usually ends the conversation quickly. I hate to be that way, but left unchecked folks will abuse your resource.
Charlie

I usually fish alone, but a few times a year with the wife. I don't mind fishing alone.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I make exceptions for kids. The more the merrier. Adults are only there to assist in their experience.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I'm with you, John. I prefer to fish alone....its just more peaceful.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
J
I wouldn't mind a little child catching a catfish at my pond, but the problem is the adults. If I let someone bring a small child, they would see the proliferation of catfish in the pond, word would get around, and soon there would be three or four men at my pond at night trying to fish it out. If people ask, I say there are only small bluegill and fingerlings in the pond.

I love having first time fisherman and/or kids at the pond. The look on their faces and the excitement is worth every penny spent on the pond. I don't fish when they're there. I spend my time taking fish off hooks and explaining the proper handling of fish as I do it.

I also enjoy fishing alone but there are times when I wish I could have shared the experience with someone. A couple years back I was fishing the river early one morning. A chipmunk was trying to run off with my breakfast (pack of cheese crackers), a wild turkey flew across the river and suddenly a bald eagle swoops down and nails a fish in the rapids. I told my bride what happened but I sure wish she had been there that morning to see it...... I don't remember if I caught anything....

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I suppose its like everything else, we all look at things differently. To me, fishing is an escape. It's time for me, away from noise, stress, etc. I know many folks turn fishing into a social event, with a friend(s) to talk with and share the experience alongside them. And I understand. And I've done that also, and enjoyed it immensely. But I do so with the knowledge that fishing is secondary to socializing in those situations. It's a good time for sure.

But when I'm fishing for me, the focus is on fishing. I can take my fishing pretty seriously when I'm in the zone, and that's when I tune everything else out and just concentrate on the task at hand.

One thing for sure, no matter how you choose to go about it, fishing is good for you.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
One thing for sure, no matter how you choose to go about it, fishing is good for you.

Absolutely!

...BTW I shared my cheese crackers with the chipmunk. Little fella took them right out of my hand. I guess an old man at 6 AM sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket is not very scary...Not sure what I'll do if the next time I go to that honey hole on the river and the chipmunk brings all his kin! grin

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/08/17 09:43 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy