Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,914
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
13 members (FishinRod, catscratch, ghdmd, phinfan, Theeck, Cliff76169, Justin W, Shorthose, canyoncreek, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24, Donatello, 4CornersPuddle), 820 guests, and 220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Russ Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
With the recent blasts of arctic cold, my backyard pond has been building ice faster than a double cheese burger stresses the waist band on a pair of pants. Along with the offer of ice fishing, my pond is available to the neighbors for ice skating.

For those that ice fish/ice skate on their ponds, I'm curious to know what, if any, safety devices are kept nearby incase someone should plunge through the ice. This question also applies for those that allow swimming during the summer.

Concrete blocks for the in-laws don't count.

Russ

R
R
The old standby of a floating ring on a rope hung on a post or on the dock is often used.
Robert B

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
This a good topic one that people seem to brush to the side. Winter safety for most ponds we suggest flotation rings,50 yds of poly rope, life vest, road flares, a cast iron bell mounted to a tree or post,boat or raft.
The bell or other sounding device is for the kid's who panic and do not want to leave their freind they are instructed to ring bell only in an emergency the 5 min spent running back to the house can be spent dialing 911 when heard at home this method has worked 3 times in the past with no fatalities. Also we encourage walkie talkie radios when kid's are using pond one on shore and one on mom's hip.
Road flares for the person that has went under ice and can,t find opening one lit next to hole has helped one man find his way out.
Never go out and try to retrieve some one unless you are tied off and have flotation device also ice picks are a valuable tool these can be given to the person to pull himself out.
In the last three years we have had two pond owners perish chasing a dog and a horse on the ice in most cases if the family pet is out there keep your head and move yourself to thicker ice and call him out.

Scott Trava
Catskill Pond
http://catskillpond.com
scott@catskillpond.com
Returning Catskill Waters To A Simpler Time
EST. 1923
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Russ, some good replies so far. One additional item is if you have an aeration system be sure that the electricty is "LOCKED OUT"or remove circut breaker. Systems that come in a cabinet are great for this reason as you can unplug them and lock the cabinets.A lot of systems run so quietly that they can be turned on and be melting the ice without notice. We measured ice on one of our display ponds last year at 14 inches and had open water in just 3 days after turning on a diffuser in 5 ft of water.If you have a windmill that you divert the air outside the water in the winter for ice skating etc then be real certain that noone has turned the valve back to the diffuser position.Good Topic/ Thanks

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Another good item to keep handy during ice season is 1/2 of a old wooden entension ladder. They are easy to slide across the ice to a person who has fallen thru and the other person can keep safely away from the weaker ice.
A person who has fallen thru the ice will get weak very quickly and may not have the strength to be able to pull him/her self up and out of the water but they usually can hold on or hook a arm over a rung of the ladder allowing the other person to then pull them out.
I bought a 20 foot 2 piece ladder at a garage sale for 8 bucks and we keep 1/2 half at each end of the pond.

Dan

Mistakes are proof that you are trying.

Dan
R
Russ Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Thanks for all the replies. With a break in the cold temps, we spent this past weekend on the ice and had a great time skating.
Given that all the kids in the neighborhood are age 10 and below, one rule that is strictly enforced is that NO KIDS are allowed near the pond or on the ice unless an adult is present. Scott, I never heard of using flares to illuminate the hole in the ice but its certainly a simple safety device to have present. Along with the ladder and rope/ring, I'm going to add this to my list. Thanks again everyone.

Russ

K
ken Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
Russ , great you and your neighbors have fun on the pond . all it takes is one accident and you'll be on the street looking at that pond . nobody goes on my property , let alone near the pond , i worked to hard on every thing to lose it all on someone who thinks they can come when ever they want. be very carefull.

i only wanted to have some fun

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:27 AM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by esshup - 04/23/24 07:31 AM
1 year after stocking question
by Joeydickens93 - 04/23/24 07:21 AM
Happy Birthday Theo!