Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Layne, Angler8689, anthropic), 616 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
John,

The goals for your ponds are usually different than most of the other PB people. I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate your perspective in all of these matters.

You try to attract critters that others try to exclude. You try to cultivate plants that others want to eradicate. Keep up the good work with all of your interesting posts, and definitely keep posting your fabulous pictures.

J
J
White Wild Lily & Spatterdock living together in harmony.

J
J
Originally Posted By: FishinRod
John,

The goals for your ponds are usually different than most of the other PB people. I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate your perspective in all of these matters.

You try to attract critters that others try to exclude. You try to cultivate plants that others want to eradicate. Keep up the good work with all of your interesting posts, and definitely keep posting your fabulous pictures.

I appreciate that Fishing Rod and other that wanted me to start posting again.

P
P
John
In today's atmosphere your thinking is pleasant to have back... You might be surprised how many agree with you

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I am not the photographer that John is, but I thought that I would share.

P
P
Wow that is gorgeous! Love the willow

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
We planted a twig 25 years ago. I think the base is over 3 feet in diameter now.

J
J
RAH that is absolutely beautiful. I too have planted twigs and now the trees are huge. What that tells you is we are getting old.

RAH I'm not a photographer. My sister had given me a copy of photoshop 7 and TJ suggested the Camera, Cannon SX50 that is a great camera at a reasonable price for what it does. It just happened. I have no training. It's just a fun hobby and as you walk your pond something is always happening. Most photo shots are just discarded but once in a while you see one that is presentable and can be developed into something. I saw my pond as only a fishing pond until I had a big fish kill. Then I decided to try something different and make into a nature pond. So this is what happens when you mess with mother nature.

J
J
LIGHT UP THEIR WORLD.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Professional or not, your photos are first rate. Our goals on our place have always been wildlife habitat, but I have learned a lot about fish management here. I am excited about the GSH.RES/YP/SMB pond that is our latest project. I am also lucky to have a great neighbor who traps out muskrats. Otherwise my emergent plants would be wiped out. With any luck, we will find a pond builder to start a new project this summer. Wildlife habitat restoration is a real passion for me. Wish we were located a bit closer to each other. And yes, I am getting old!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
RAH and John, your photos are beautiful. And I'm glad that some have the ability to see their ponds and properties in a light so different from how I envision my own. Looking at RAH's magnificent shot with the willow in the background, my limited vision for my own property immediately screams diesel fuel, bushhog blades, chainsaws, brushcutters, and aquatic herbicides. As in right now, before it gets any further ahead of me.

I appreciate the different perspective.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
T
T
John M, I enjoyed your pics and your ideas awhile back, glad about your returned post here. RAH that really is a nice Willow maybe the best one I have ever seen. Thumbs up !! The color in the pond is also nice to see.

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 12/20/15 08:01 AM. Reason: sp

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
A farming background kinda drives the perspective that you describe. I gave up recreational mowing many years ago. My dad still keeps his woods like a city park. To each their own. We spent a good part of yesterday cutting and treating invasive honeysuckle in our woods. It will be a long haul to get that under control. We will likely be piling up the brush today. The brush piles provide cover for wildlife and exercise for me. I am appreciating the mild weather so far this winter.

We are shooting for somewhere in between the two perspectives. We want the diversity in habitat/vegetation, both in and around the pond, but want to maintain the "landscaped" type appearance.

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/20/15 08:44 AM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
John, very happy to have your input again.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
T
T
RAH and John,
You both have a great eye for waterscaping.Some days I ponder dedicating a small cove of my pond to plants but other days I find my self weedeating around the trees in my woods and trimming limbs up at high as I can reach.Presently I keep the perimeter of my pond mowed out atleast 60 ft from the shoreline which gives decent visibility from my house and shop.I feel better knowing I can see If my methhead neighbors are trying to carry off one of our boats or help bucket stock some spawn happy crappie.I do have a few acres that are left unmowed and several brush piles.I have noticed an increase in rabbits and
i have seen and heard a few quail returning.

J
J
It's funny the roads our ponds take us down sometimes. My pond was manicured in the early years. I bought an electric start DR stringer on wheels at some expense to trim around the pond about 15 years ago but only used it one summer. Then bush hogged a walking area around the pond. Now I just mow a walking strip around the pond. Maybe I am getting back to nature or just getting lazy.

Last edited by John Monroe; 12/21/15 08:49 AM.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
We maintain a couple miles of walking trails, and we maintain our perimeter fences. There is never any shortage of work to do, even without recreational mowing.

J
J
SIMPLE BEAUTY OF SPATTERDOCK

S
S
After cleaning out my old pond that was covered in Spaterdock, I now have two nice small patches. One against the island in the center and one along a bank near the end of the dam.

Now if the stuff will only behave itself.............. and stay about to that degree it will be great. I like a little of it and wife likes the look.

When I cleaned that pond out there were rhizomes as big as my forearm. I saw some spindly shoots coming from the middle of the old part where I could not get all the muck cleaned out last year and thought it would be a problem. The water is a lot deeper there than what it was before the refurbish. But I think the 4 grass carp that I placed in there took care of them. Hopefully I have just the right balance of grass carp clipping off new shoots to keep it in check. I can always hope, can't I? grin

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
J
J

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
John, I envy your photographic eye and computer skills. You rock!!
When I was a kid my dad was a complete auto racing fan and very often took my brother and I on overnight race trips. Winchester was one of our favorites along with Anderson, Warsaw and Eldora. We lived in Ft Wayne. Small world.
Merry Christmas and a photogenic New Year

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Originally Posted By: John Monroe
SIMPLE BEAUTY OF SPATTERDOCK

John,
I really envy and enjoy seeing your photographic skills....great pic of the lilies with the tadpoles underneath...great shot!

...when in doubt...set the hook...
J
J
Stickem, thank you so much for your eyes and what you see. I never saw the tadpoles. Again thank you. What you saw now makes this photo a contestant for a photographic art show. It makes this a very rare special photo in my opinion. Again thank you so much.

Stickem I had to come back and say more. I have a Facebook page where I post my photo's. My two sisters are a painter and poet and others and no one has seen what you saw. I have been at this photo shows for two years and have won a first, second and third and what you saw makes this the best photo I have ever taken. You should be doing this instead of me. One never knows but I think you have just won me another first place in the spring showing. Because of you, not me.

Last edited by John Monroe; 12/25/15 02:55 AM.

L
L
John M, apart from swimming in our pond so keeping it a little clearer on the shoreline, our goals and passions are similar.

We dug our pond initially for attracting wildlife and for beauty, but the water quality turned out so nice that it became a swimming hole. If only I could keep the water level more consistent I could cultivate more transition plants. We are going to polymer the pond with TJs help soon, and hopefully resolve that problem.

A side hill leading to the pond is too wet to mow, so I am forced to hand weed it. So when I walk it, I pull out all of the baby willows I can find. Even the little ones have root systems from hell. Most are black willows, so not very attractive. Some are pussy willows, which I like since they are a shrub, but not taking chances with miss identification.

I may intentionally put in a weeping willow near the inlet creek to help stabilize the soil with roots, but for some reason the deer simply love to rub willow and wreck them. Protection or no. I don't like the idea of leaves in the pond from them either.

You have far more cover and habitat to attract wildlife, so I am a little jealous. We can barely attract geese (which is a good thing mostly). Our turtles don't stick around long either, but the frogs do, which is great.

Anyhow, I enjoy your posts and pictures. I have seen people who call themselves a photographer take pictures that are not as good as yours.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??