Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,074
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (JasonInOhio, Theo Gallus, H20fwler, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 812 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
fishm_n Offline OP
OP Offline
F
As the title says, We Did! But should we have.

I was out in December sizing up the project, It is a 20+ acre lake down to 5 acres, and the Owner guesses its less than 6 foot deep. The day i make it out there the wind it howling!!, No excuse I know, and I run around with the auger, and there is 20 inches of ice and probably only 3 acres with water under it. I dulled my blades frown , but found ample areas where my auger could not hit mud, Greater than 33".

Its a thick white ice and our thought on putting the system in now is hoping to prevent a total winter kill and understanding that with or with out doing anything the mature fish are probably all done for (LMB only pond with strong 3 pound plus population). But hopefully save some of the younger generations and something to catch this summer.

And we make it out today, still windy but a lot more warm, and we cant find a place deeper than 24" and the ice is 18. shocked tired eek . We put some tip ups out and lost two minnows

*side note - super windy all day, and had a polar magnetic tipup, the only time the flag went up is when we lost the minnow.

So maybe there is some life!! And well we came here to install an aeration system. From the distant shore line to the deepest part was not bad to put down with the weighted cable, and we have an ice saw for cutting, which is fun. but we Ran 600ish foot of black poly pipe from the electricity/pump to the junction box, that was a lot of work but we lucked out with it being a warm wind.

So other than talking to TJ about what might be fiesable to stop some leaking, what do you guys think? did we make the wrong descion to go through with installing the aeration system today? should we have just waited till spring when its thawed and has some runoff in it? Will we just supper cool the 3 acres and kill it off or will something pull threw??

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
F
fishm_n Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Soooo.... went back out today and Che ked on things. Plenty of open water around the aeration system, but couldn't see any fish. Deepest place I could find was 26" from the top of the ice to the mud. Did some fishing and walking around, at the inlet with the snow melting some water was coming in and spotted dead yoy lmb and white crappie. Maybe 20 and all above the current water/ice level.

Back at the holes I lost a lot of minnows ! I iced one 13" rbt that was very healthy and a 12" lmb that was thin. And had a fair amount of small hits.

So much for this pond being 5' deep and a lmb only pond. They owned up to stocking trout last year but thought they were dead.

It is amazing that these fish lived though only 6" of water under the ice, and now about 10" of water under the ice. Before the system was in all the water was a little milky but now it is clear every where! This has been an interesting project, and we are glad we did get the system in as soon as we could. All fish matter (in this lake)

Last edited by fishm_n; 02/14/17 10:20 PM.

W
W
Very interesting!! Any idea how long the lake had been totally iced over?

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
F
fishm_n Offline OP
OP Offline
F
The lake capped around dec. 11 and the ice got thick by the first of the year. I'm amazed any of them lived.

Very cool project and thanks for sharing the info. If I have it right, the 20 acre lake is losing water rapidly and is down to 3 acres plus some totally solid water. Is that correct?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
F
fishm_n Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Yes, mostly correct. It's an old lake that does kill off or dry up every 15 years or so. It leaks frown and is fed mostly by run off. 4 years ago was the last full pool, and the last 2 years of drought have been hard on it, but it does look to be a wet spring.
This pond was Probly 8 acres this summer, I've been told. I would love to get a little of this on youtube, if I can get it figured out

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 10:22 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy