Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
R
R&R Offline
R
Don't see or catch a lot of either one. I do remove Bass in the 8-14" range when I catch them. Of the 25 Crappie I caught this past weekend I only put one back. Less than 9" the rest were 11" plus. And this is the most I've gotten into ever on me. All were caught on a white beetle spin 4 lb test. Even a 21 1/2" 5 lb plus Bass. (That was fun!!)

"If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time"

Zig Ziglar
S
S
Originally Posted By: R&R
Originally Posted By: ewest
Nice fish ! What is the history of the pond?

ewest , Built in 2006 (Not by me) We purchased in 2010. Realtor said "Fully Stocked" Previous owner said " My boys threw some bluegills in here from one of my other ponds". Seemed be overrun with GSF at the time. Thought I would kill it and start over. Didn't happen. I put about 25 6-8" LMB in from my pond. I let a buddy put 50 2" BCP in. Both in the Spring of 2011. Still thinking I would kill and start over.Had pretty thick Southern Niad. Put 30 Grass Carp in spring 2012. They have since wiped it out. Too much so. That pretty much is where its at. Catching Bass up to about 6 lbs now. Crappie seem to have not overrun YET. Still catch a few descent BG and the occasional GSF.

I'm guessing that means you are not going to kill the pond off and start over now. laugh

Some might say you just got lucky with your pond and they might be right.

I have pondered about luck a lot. I firmly believe people have a tendency to give plain old dumb luck too little credit for many of the successes in life. I have tended at times in my life to give dumb luck too little credit and made the assumption that the success was all my doings. That often led me to unsuccessful outcomes as my high opinion of my abilities outstripped my common sense.

Good luck is such a wonderful thing. If it were only more dependable I would have turned to it all the time by now. But it is just so undependable and it seems my luck improves with my intensity of application of initiative.

This is not specifically targeted at you R&R. Just ramblings thinking about the many stories I have enjoyed here on PBF. There are the stories where everything was planned and worked out according to plan, where everything was planned and still did not work out, and the ones I especially enjoy like your story where really nothing ended up going like you planned but it turned out pretty darned fantastic anyway.

Ya just never know.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
R
R&R Offline
R
snrub ,
You are so correct!!! Since purchasing this property I'm pretty sure not one single thing has went according to plan. But you know the older I get the more OK with that I am.

On a side note from an absolute amateur perspective. This is the first year of 6 owning this pond that it has not dropped more than an inch Due to timely rains here in southern Indiana. "I believe" for that reason I have had a much better survival rate amongst my BG fry. Makes sense to me anyway. What say you experts??
Thanks.

"If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time"

Zig Ziglar
D
D
Sorry to Highjack. Couldn't find how to start a new thread. is there anyway to remove or kill all the crappie without damaging other fish. Going to build a new pond downstream of my old one.Just hate toloose my nice bass and mAGNUM BLUGILLS. I WILL TRY AND SAVE SOME.
tHANKS DALE

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
daleK asks ""is there anyway to remove or kill all the crappie without damaging other fish." If you can figure that out you will become a millionaire or at least multiple of thousands in your pocket.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: dale k
Sorry to Highjack. Couldn't find how to start a new thread.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Any Crappie Updates?

Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
Any Crappie Updates?

I'll throw in a topic for discussion. I've read in a few places that HSB and crappies MAY be a "marriage made in heaven." It seems there is some data that, do to the pelagic nature of both small crappies and HSB, that HSB are very effective at controlling crappie populations in smaller BOWs which in the past were considered too small to maintain a crappie population without stunting. I don't have a dog in this fight but I found the data intriguing. Comments?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Any Crappie Updates?

I'll throw in a topic for discussion. I've read in a few places that HSB and crappies MAY be a "marriage made in heaven." It seems there is some data that, do to the pelagic nature of both small crappies and HSB, that HSB are very effective at controlling crappie populations in smaller BOWs which in the past were considered too small to maintain a crappie population without stunting. I don't have a dog in this fight but I found the data intriguing. Comments?

I added HSB to my big pond 3 and 4 years ago (2 stockings) for this very purpose. At that time (and now as well) I didn't have any overpopulation/stunting issues, but with all the negative comments around BCP and that possibility I was trying to manage proactively.

As of today I STILL have exactly zero issues specific to BCP. I catch them regularly and have never caught a stunted one. All the BCP I catch are healthy, thick specimens. I keep track of every fish removed from the pond, and last year (2016) we took 263 BCP out. They taste awesome, are loads of fun to catch and at least in my case are a phenomenal pond fish.

Back to the point, I don't know if the HSB were necessary and if so how much they helped. When I look in the shallows around the pond I see plenty of YOY and Y2 size BCP as well as BG, but not what I'd call an 'overabundance'. The rare times I catch a HSB they look good - not great but good. I also have a healthy population of LMB so I believe I'm covered in the top end predator arena.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
R
RER Offline
R
dlowrance,
taking out over 250 adult BCP each year probably helps you stay ahead of the curve, I would think....

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
R
RER Offline
R
Any Crappie Updates?

It seems there is some data that, do to the pelagic nature of both small crappies and HSB, that HSB are very effective at controlling crappie populations in smaller BOWs which in the past were considered too small to maintain a crappie population without stunting. I don't have a dog in this fight but I found the data intriguing. Comments?

I wonder if the "Palagic Nature" of small BCP would help feed the tarpon in my pond., I feel the CNBG and tilapia hug the shallows. IF they had a more open water fish they might fatten up some. Do small BCP tend to swim more out in the open water than either TP or cnbg?

sorry if this is a hijack,

it still relates to controlling crappy, :-)

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
Originally Posted By: BobbyRice
dlowrance,
taking out over 250 adult BCP each year probably helps you stay ahead of the curve, I would think....

Certainly true - The pond is around 7 acres with an average depth of 16'. So lots of room to roam. We don't fish very hard to take that many - that number was taken out in 11 days of fishing.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: BobbyRice
Any Crappie Updates?

It seems there is some data that, do to the pelagic nature of both small crappies and HSB, that HSB are very effective at controlling crappie populations in smaller BOWs which in the past were considered too small to maintain a crappie population without stunting. I don't have a dog in this fight but I found the data intriguing. Comments?

I wonder if the "Palagic Nature" of small BCP would help feed the tarpon in my pond., I feel the CNBG and tilapia hug the shallows. IF they had a more open water fish they might fatten up some. Do small BCP tend to swim more out in the open water than either TP or cnbg?

sorry if this is a hijack,

it still relates to controlling crappy, :-)
Bobby my crappie are all over the pond, I catch them close to the surface in 15' water with no structure under them, so I know they like open water- at least in my puddle

R
RER Offline
R
I'm torn on trying to add some to see if they breed. I might be just making it even harder to get established recruitment from the gsh by having larger BCP..IM not sure which would provide more YOY to be munched on, BCP or GSH.

P
OP Offline
P
Bobby I don't know if my crappie have spawne since the first spring when I first stocked them . I catch 8-9" ones but never see any small or large ones after 3 years. The ones I catch are thick looking but don't seem to grow much

T
T
Hay Pat

Any chance the crappie spawn was eaten by the other crappie or the lmb?
With little to no growth seen in the crappie caught, I would think low forage numbers, and if that is the case, I might suspect a crappie spawn might feed the existing fish in the pond for a short time. Your thoughts? Are u still building the house?

Last edited by TGW1; 01/28/17 08:57 AM. Reason: sp

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Pat, what's your aquatic plant status in your pond? Since crappie prefer spawning in weed cover depending on your density they may be void of spawning.

Forced to work born to Fish
P
OP Offline
P
The stockers spawned the first spring at 4-1/2" long cause late in the summer was catching 2-1/2" crappie. The parents got up to 12" that year then all I catch is 8-9" ones even now. They are not thin at all. Very little plant life at all. Now some weed of unknown variety.

P
OP Offline
P
Tracy
It's highly possible that they are being eaten by bass or catfish. See lots of activity in open water but not sure what it is

The house is prolly 80-90% complete. Staining trim is so much fun

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 01/28/17 12:04 PM.
P
OP Offline
P
Update:
Moved in to house in may 2017, crappie still not overpopulated, catfish bout 5# now, group of shad young hanging out in middle getting hammered by something.

Hey Pat,

Any update on your BCP?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
P
OP Offline
P
Bill can’t seem to catch any here lately. Water is very cloudy with a major bloom since mid summer. I haven’t tried live bait , just jigs fished every way I know how. Last ones caught this summer were the usual 8”.

F
F
Pat, I did a jar test on my pond. Only had 4-6 inch visibility. Thought it was algae bloom but after a week setting in the window seal of the house you can see the sand in the bottom of the jar and now I can see through the jar. I have more shoreline grass than I ever had but yet It is muddier than ever been!! Pond 10 inch low. Water temp yesterday morning at 8am was 53.8. I will check this morning at 8am again. Air temp right now is 27!!!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
P
OP Offline
P
James
I think mine is a bloom cause it’s been that way for several months before we started getting any rain. Only have 6-8” more water to be at full pool . Have not seen any sign of a successful BCP spawn again this year and this is going on 5 years. With only one spawn. The LMB are looking fatter this year due to more forage. It surprises me that so little is known about BCP ( unreliable spawns or overwhelming ones)

T
T
Flame, I went through a similar situation last year. I asked Bill Cody for a water analysis and he came up with high numbers of detritus. But I had also added a microb to eat excess nutrients earlier in the year after returning from the PB Conference. This product had a green die also. And the water had a puki ugly green color, mistaking it for a bloom. I also discovered around that time that microbs can bloom or produce excess amounts of microbs. If I understood Bill Cody, it was hard sometimes to distinguish between microbs and detritus, so I never was sure what the actual problem was other than my water visibility sucked. So, what did I do? The pond was low all summer due to extreme drought and I figured if it was detritus the diffusers were kicking it up off the bottom. I reduced the run time and raised the diffusers 21" off bottom and that put the bubblier some 30" off bottom. I also treated the pond with alum/lime to reduce excess phosphates which I believed were high due to fertilization along with feeding. One or both of the changes I made cleared up the water to 36" for awhile and the water has been stable since with 24 to 26" olive green water. Hope this helps. Pat not sure u have diffusers but maybe water is high in phosphates.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??