Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,942
Posts557,765
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,502
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
1 members (Steve Clubb), 610 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#462208 01/17/17 03:16 PM
A
azteca Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello

Here in Québec, we can't have permit for FHM, Pumkinseed, Bluegill, Sunfish, Golden shiner.
Only for Walleye, some trout,Yellow Perch and Smallmouth Bass, nothing else.

I have 3/4 of acre with Yellow Perch and Crawfish,I want to put Smallmouth Bas in it.

Like Bill Cody said after 7-8 years the Yellow Perch can desapear.
So I have an other small pond 100x50 feet with Yellow Perch, I will be able to put small perch and some 7-8inch each year in the big pond, what do you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_ZO3uMw7sQ

Thank you, excuse my english.
A+

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Your english is very adequate,,, better than many Americans that I have encountered. If I were you, I would be getting some minnow traps and doing some fish sampling in creeks, beaver ponds, and in smaller local lakes around the shoreline. Bait traps with dry pet food or sale bread. Run them every day or two.
My Fishes of Canada book indicates the distribution range of bluntnose minnows and fathead minnows extends into the southwest section of Quebec, maybe slightly further NE into the province. IF you are in central Quebec then these minnows may not be in your area.
http://fishesofboneyardcreek.weebly.com/bluntnose-minnow.html

If you are able to catch any smaller fish we can help identify them to see if they are stream or pond spawners. You are looking for pond spawners. Add then to your small pond and monitor what becomes common due to reproduction to learn what is spawning in the pond. If the provincial officials give you a problem tell them the darn fish eating birds must have stocked your ponds. As long as your fish are caught locally you should have no illegal issues.

My guess is the small lakes and ponds in your are have to have local native minnows that spawn in beaver pools, ponds, and lakes. Something in the minnow forage type of food has be able to spawn in static water of Quebec to provide small fish to feed the larger fish other than big fish eating only little sport-game fish. Small dace with very fine scales are a common far northern fish, some are capable of pond spawning.

Transferring smaller YP to the main ponds works. If all sizes of perch in the main pond with SMbass are scarce, then it is likely you have too many predators eating too many small perch. Selectively harvest predators until the overall perch numbers and their catchability in the main pond increases after a few years. Larger perch should be able to thrive and be harvested in the big pond if bass are not over abundant. If you are not seeing very many large perch then remove more bass. Fish need to be regularly harvested and monitored to have a viable quality fishery.

Your locally collected Crayfish are good for your needs. Provide them lots of good rocky habitat and they should survive if there is not excessive predation by your bass walleye. Crayfish in your little pond will keep the algae and delicate plants low to absent. Crayfish like to eat algae. Crayfish should thrive in your small pond with spawning minnows & some perch. Both can be transferred to the big pond.

Return often to keep us updated about your pond progress in Quebec.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/17/17 09:02 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Also any minnow traps that you buy will be very useful in removing perch, minnows and crayfish from the small pond and sampling what present in the larger pond. Minnow and fish traps are my favorite tools for fish sampling.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
A
azteca Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello.

Thank you very much Mr Cody, yes I will see for minnows in the spring.

Also one night I was very surprise to see Crayfish in my pond (Orconectes virilis), I never put them in the pond.

One day I talk with an old man, he said to me, perhaps the crayfish came from an old little pond in the wood not far from me, by a rainy night, is it possible.

A+

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Crayfish can walk over land, so a rainy day or flood event may not be necessary for them to migrate.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
How many LMB to remove?
by Boondoggle - 04/17/24 11:26 PM
Opportunistic Munchers
by Snipe - 04/17/24 11:25 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by Steve Clubb - 04/17/24 11:18 PM
EURYHALINE POND UPDATE
by Fishingadventure - 04/17/24 10:48 PM