Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,088
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (Sunil, LANGSTER, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 748 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Does anyone on here use Sportsman's Choice TrophyFish Feed from tractor supply or have experience using it?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I've used Sportsman's Choice Trophy Fish Feed (Multi-species) the last two years and have no complaints. It's a 36% protein pellet so I figured it was a nice middle of the road to feed both CC and BG. The CC grew like crazy. It floats and the fish seemed to really like it. As I'm no longer interested in having a lot of CC in the pond, I'm switching to Optimal BG chow this year.

Last edited by Bill D.; 01/02/17 09:11 AM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
OP Offline
what kind of growth did you see in your BG when you was using it?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The BG roughly doubled in size in the 2 years I was using the chow. We were catching mostly 8 and 9 inch BG in 2016. Keep in mind, I was only supplemental feeding and the CC ate most of it. I would attribute the BG growth more to eating natural forage.

[Linked Image]
S
S
I have fed quite a bit of it over the last three years. I feed Aquamax mostly but often it is not available early enough in the spring ordering it from my feed dealer. That usually means I start the season out with the TSC Sportsman Choice. Also if I miscalculate during the season and run out of the AM MVP I will substitute it till new supply arrives.

It is kind of like a one protein grade lower than the AM MVP. It has multiple pellet size like MVP.

I'm going with Optimal BG this year in my RES only forage pond. I did not know my RES were on feed but figured they must be after feeding in one spot and catching them by hook in the area.

Last edited by snrub; 01/02/17 10:57 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I have seen and used Sportsmen Choice. The bag was given to me by a pond guy whose fish ate it poorly because the fish (BG) were used to AMax. I fed the stuff to my minnows and tilapia. If I had a food choice I would first go with Optimal, then Zeigler, then AMax-Rangen, and use Sportsmen Choice as the last product of the four. I fed Amax for years back when it was Purina trout chow and the only fish food commonly available. There are other general catfish foods available sold as 32%-36% protein of various brands.

If your goal is to grow great sportfish then IMO you want a higher quality protein (40%-42%) food. The higher protein builds body mass faster. Another thing to consider is quality and type of food components that result in a minimal amount of body waste compared to the nutritional benefit that the fish gets. Optimal has been shown to result in a minimal amount of fish waste compared to the amount of food ingested and weight gain. Optimal was originally designed for fish in recirculation systems when fish waste and growth are very important to the final product. Less waste produced is actually in the end more bang for the buck.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/02/17 04:59 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
F
F
I've been feeding sportsman choice and don't have any complaints buts it's only been 4 months but my channel cats, coppernose bluegill and minnows love it they put on a show during feeding time...

Cry me a river
S
S
Bill I have never expperienced the persnickety BG that have been referenced here before on PBF. My BG will pretty much will eat anything I throw out there including both sinking and floating catfish food from various vendors (in the past, I feed better stuff now).

Certain areas must have BG with more discerning tastes. Maybe it is like some of us that define fine wine as Welches grape juice spiked with 180 proof. We just have no taste in such things.

Or maybe my fish are just extraordinarilly hungry. grin

Last edited by snrub; 01/05/17 11:21 AM.

John

B
B
It is a grain based good for catfish, but maybe more protein than catfish need, and not really the best type(grain based) or precent of protein for the BG.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
B
B
Slightly off topic here but close....question please.....I am going to be buying a TX Hunter feeder (holds 70 lbs. feed) in the spring which I intend to use to broadcast chow for 1 lb. feeder trained LMB and 5"-7" adult northern BG. I am assuming these fish will eat different sized pellets. I have never fed fish before. Is there one bag of feed I can buy that will take care of both of these sized fish? AM, Optimal, Sportsman's Choice, whatever???

I would rather buy one bag if possible instead of 2 different bags that I need to mix together. Any advice appreciated. Thanks. BM61

Last edited by bassmaster61; 01/05/17 01:22 PM.

B
B
Originally Posted By: bassmaster61
Slightly off topic here but close....question please.....I am going to be buying a TX Hunter feeder (holds 70 lbs. feed) in the spring which I intend to use to broadcast chow for 1 lb. feeder trained LMB and 5"-7" adult northern BG. I am assuming these fish will eat different sized pellets. I have never fed fish before. Is there one bag of feed I can buy that will take care of both of these sized fish? AM, Optimal, Sportsman's Choice, whatever???

I would rather buy one bag if possible instead of 2 different bags that I need to mix together. Any advice appreciated. Thanks. BM61

Look at Aquamax MVP

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
Fingerling
Fingerling
Feed trained bass along with your bluegill will do fine with Optimal fish food. No need for different size pellets, from what I have observed when pellets hit the water. We have observed minimal waste of feed also.

laugh
Good land management is an extended learning experience-Aldo Leopold
S
S
Ditto what BrianL says. I feed quite a bit of it. I used to mix AM500 and 600 and feed a little AM 400 around the edge for the small fry.

Now I feed pretty much the MVP although I may still get a bag of the 400 for supplementing the smallest fish at times.

Aquamax MVP

Brian I think the Sportsman Choice is targeted at the recreational feed user more than pondmeisters looking for maximum productivity. The price is right on it for what it is. At least it is a step up from catfish food which is the only thing available generally without special ordering it.

John

My opinion, FWIW smile , is that Sportsmans Choice Multi-Species provides a chow that is not quite right for any species but not too bad either. IMO it's a middle of the road chow, at 36% protein, that is not optimized for any one species but is targeted at the pond as a whole. The multiple pellets sizes were readily accepted by all the fish in my pond. I suspect there is a better choice for each individual species but if you feed multiple different chows, how do you make the different species of fish eat the right one?

Last edited by Bill D.; 01/06/17 08:45 AM. Reason: Typo

[Linked Image]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Whatever food you choose be sure about the quality of the protein as that is much more important than a couple % points of increased protein. Same for other ingredients as well.

From a prior thread (a few years old but still good).

From the Pond Boss Conv. Presentation – some of the text. There is a lot going on now wrt fish nutrition and the use of plant vs. animal protein sources.

Fish Nutrition
Applied Science for Small Waters

Bio-Energetics

• The study of the flow and transformation of energy within a particular system.
• Bioenergetics is the subject of a field of biochemistry that concerns energy flow and transformation through living systems.
• Growth, development and metabolism are some of the central phenomena in the study of biological organisms. The role of energy is fundamental to such biological processes. The ability to harness energy from a variety of metabolic pathways is a property of all living organisms. Life is dependent on energy transformations; living organisms survive because of exchange of energy within and without.
• Living organisms obtain energy from organic and inorganic materials. For example, lithotrophs can oxidize minerals . In photosynthesis, autotrophs can produce ATP using light energy. Heterotrophs must consume organic compounds. These are mostly carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. The amount of energy actually obtained by the organism is lower than the amount present in the food; there are losses in digestion, metabolism, and thermogenesis.

Basic Food Components – Nutrition

• The immense variety of cultured finfish species hampers efforts to simplify production industry wide. Approximately 170 taxa are currently cultured, including carnivores, herbivores, planktivores, and omnivores, each posing its own set of nutritional demands .
• Fish meal has proven to be an excellent dietary protein source for finfish, leading to its description as an ‘‘ideal protein.’’ The ideal protein concept is based on the premise that if the amino acid profile of the feed mimics the whole-body amino acid profile of the animal being fed, protein utilization and growth should be maximized
• Lipids, fatty acids, and their derivatives play a role in virtually every physiological process that occurs and for this reason dietary lipid composition and content represent a massive sector of overall nutrition. Nowhere is this more true than in finfish nutrition where lipid can exceed protein in the body composition of finfish, a testament to the physiological and energetic importance of this nutrient class (Tocher2003). Aside from physiological importance, lipids are indispensable energy sources, especially for finfish, which are not well-adapted to carbohydrate utilization.
• Dietary protein and energy must be kept in proper balance because a deficiency or excess of dietary energy can reduce growth rates. Fish fed diets deficient in energy will metabolize more expensive dietary protein to meet energy requirements. Excess dietary energy can decrease protein intake and suppress growth.
• finfish do not require carbohydrates in their diet, … complex carbohydrates cannot be digested and utilized efficiently by most finfish species. A general dichotomy exists in the carbohydrate digestive ability of warmwater omnivores and herbivores versus the inability of coolwater and coldwater carnivores, which lack the appropriate function necessary for digestion of carbohydrates.
• For this reason, diets fed to these fish rarely contain more than 20% complex carbohydrate
• Conversely, warmwater omnivores or herbivores (e.g., channel catfish, tilapia, common carp, and white sturgeon) adapt well to diets containing as much as 40% dietary carbohydrate .
• Although vitamins and minerals are required in minute amounts compared with protein, lipid, and so forth, they are critically important, … Every micronutrient has a deficiency disease associated with it, the effects of which are sometimes irreversible or fatal. For a few vitamins and most minerals, excess can be equally detrimental, resulting in toxicity.

FOOD HABITS OF WHITE AMUR, LARGEMOUTH BASS,BLUEGILL, AND
REDEAR SUNFISH RECEIVING SUPPLEMENTAL FEED
Ronald H. Kilgen
27th Southeast Association of Game and Fish Commissioners
Largemouth bass preferred fish and other animals (64%), but also ate some supplemental feed (32%). Bluegill stomachs contained more supplemental feed
(44%) than any other item, followed by insects and animal parts (28%), and plant
parts (17%). Redears seemed to prefer insect larvae (42%), but also ate plant
material (38%). White amur apparently did not compete with the sunfishes for
either natural or supplementary food items.

Mean fat percentage of Dorosoma spp. (24.2%) exceeded that of Lepomis spp. (15.2%) and fathead minnows (19.1%), but was less than that of mosquitofish (25.8%) and golden shiners (34.8%) . Bluegills had lower caloric contents than gizzard and threadfin shad ; preliminary data collected for the present study also showed Lepomis spp. To the lower in caloric content than the clupeids.

Although carnivorous fish species generally have a limited ability to use carbohydrates for energy, hybrid striped bass are relatively adept at it. Digestibility coefficients for the carbohydrates were generally high (83.3 to100 percent), indicating that both simple carbohydrates and complex carbohydrates were digested efficiently by these hybrids

Key Science Points

• Because fish growth often is limited by food availability, supplemental feeding is a logical tool to improve the condition of fish in small impoundments as the energy cost for bluegill to feed on pellets is small relative to the high caloric intake, which can be 4-5 times greater than those fed natural foods (Schalles and Wissing 1976).
• Substantial increases in the standing stock of bluegill in ponds that receive pellet feed have been recorded (Schmittou 1969) and, in lakes, pellet feeding has been found to increase the number of large bluegills (Nail and Powell 1975).
• These results indicate that total fish production and production of bluegill were each increased approximately 75 to 80% by supplemental feeding in 19 months after stocking (Schmittou 1967)

• Previous studies demonstrated that feed in excess of 10 pounds per acre per day in bluegill ponds was not utilized. Some accumulated and decomposed, thus depleting the supply of dissolved oxygen which resulted in fish kills (Schmittou 1967) .
• the rate of growth of sunfish can be increased by short-circuiting the food cycle, thereby producing harvestable size sunfish in a shorter period of time than would occur under natural conditions (Carnes 1966).
• The pellet size should be approximately 20-30% of the size of the fish species mouth gape. Feeding too small a pellet results in inefficient feeding because more energy is used in finding and eating more pellets. Conversely, pellets that are too large will depress feeding and, in the extreme, cause choking. Select the largest sized feed the fish will actively eat.
• Addition of supplemental pelleted feed did not contribute to the rate of growth of young shad, but did increase the growth and spawning frequency of adults.

Also do a search for posts by Griffin (Mark Griffin PhD fish nutritionist) here are a couple for reference.

Well, today I see that Yahoo has a story on the importance of omega 3 fatty acids for us humans. For most of us, the source is fish - salmon, tuna, sardines, etc. I have not seen the data - but, for winter survival, the idea is that fish oil is a fluid. This enhance membrane fluidity. This is often cited as a reason for the role of PUFAs with brain function/development. When the water gets cold, the fish get cold. Therefore, it stands to reason that these fats benefit the animals in cold conditions. If the overall fatty acid profile has too much saturated fat, their fat reserves will solidify in cold water - like tallow in cold water. These PUFAs are important in many other aspects besides the physical properties....

Predatory fish get these fats from the smaller fish they consume. They do not synthesize the long chain PUFAs. The source is from algae and these fats are passed on to algae-eating zooplankton and fish and move up the food chain. Menhaden are excellent sources of the omega 3 PUFAs, because they are fatty fish and about 25% of their fatty acids are the long chain PUFAs. So, in a prepared diet, you need either a significant amount of certain marine algaes, or fish oil or meal (approximately 10% of fish meal is fish oil - as a side note... this is because fish meal is mechanically expressed, so it does not get all the fat out. In solvent-extracted meals - such as soybean meal - there is virtually no fat left).

Feather meal as a fish food protein source. There are two primary factors of protein quality for monogastrics (fish for this discussion) - 1) Amino Acid profile and 2) Amino Acid availability. The amino acid profile of feather looks pretty good if you look at the Total Sulfur Amino Acid content. It has a high content of cystine - a sulfur amino acid (SAA). SAAs can be limiting in monogastric diets and tend to be expensive to formulate into diets (they are relatively low in many inexpensive plant proteins). Unfortunately, the reason it is so high is because feather is a structural protein. The di-sulfide bonds between two cysteines make the protein very tough. This is what gives the keratins their structural rigidity - like our hair and fingernails. Unfortunately, this serves to make them very hard to digest. Therefore, as a rule, the availability is not so good. To increase the availability, feather meal is often hydrolyzed, this is an attempt to break down the disulfide bonds to increase availability. Shoe leather analyzes at 85% crude protein, but it is not digestible.

A word on protein sources.... Most protein sources are available in different qualities. This is particularly true for the expensive animal proteins - fish meal, poultry meals, blood meals, etc. Quality and freshness of the raw materials and the processing are factors that result in this variability. As examples:
A) Quality of Raw Materials: Meat meals are often priced on protein content - simply put, it is the ratio of bone (ash) to meat (protein). Bones (minerals, ash) are not as valuable as protein.
B) Freshness of Raw Materials: The US commercial fishing fleet for menhaden now has all refrigerated vessel storage.... the season is in over the summer, primarily in the Gulf of Mexico. Obviously, if it is not refrigerated....
c) Processing: Blood has a good amino acid profile. If it is drum-dried (essentially scorched on a extremely hot steel drum) it has poor availability and is a fairly poor ingredient. If it has been spray dried under low heat - it is an excellent ingredient.

High quality fish meal is the gold standard - it has the best Amino acid profile for fish (fish protein to grow fish protein)and is highly digestible. Further, it tastes great to fish (fish meal based diets are much more palatable to carnivorous fish) and it contains about 10% fish oil (high in omega 3 polyunsaturated fatty acids). Many other proteins can be used as long as they are formulated properly into an overall dietary amino acid profile.

Holler if you have questions. MEG

Just depends on what warm water fish you are feeding and what results you desire. For instance, when grown at 80 F, fingerling Hybrid Striped Bass growth varied significantly, depending on both type and content of dietary protein and content of fat. Catfish formulations are plant based, while good trout/salmon formulations are animal based (preferably fish based). Strictly carnivorous fish do not do as well on plant-protein based diets. Below, diets are described in terms of Protein/fat, so a 40/10 is 40% protein and 10% fat (the OLD reliable trout diet).

36/8 (plant based)... 280% Weight Gain X
42/4 (plant based)....347% " 1.24X
35/10 (fish based)....432% " 1.54X
44/8 (fish based)....487% " 1.74X
55/15 (fish based)....650% " 2.32X**

It is important to note that all of these diets were high quality, they were just designed for different purposes and vary greatly in cost. For instance the 36/8 is designed for channel catfish fingerlings and the 55/15 is designed for Atlantic Salmon fingerlings. The 55/15 may cost 4 times as much as the plant based 36, so the economics are certainly arguable... just depends.

**Additionally, the ultra high growth on the 55/15 should be taken with a grain of salt as it resulted in obese fish (HSB very efficiently lay down dietary fat in their abdominal cavity), indeed the whole-body fat of HSB fed the 55/15 was 62% greater than that of the fish fed the 42/4.

Lets revisit this topic on LMB this fall as Bob Lusk is working on a trial this summer that should give us some more to discuss. Mark

Last edited by ewest; 01/06/17 09:38 AM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If growth of your fish is one of your main goals then a fish food with higher protein comprised with a lot of fish meal is your best overall option. Note the AMax MVP (multi-varible particle) fish food has 43% protein as mostly fish meal is a very good choice if you have several sizes of fish that you want to grow well. 43% protein is 7% more protein per pellet than 36% protein. The type of protein and digestibility of the protein is also very important (see ewests post).
https://www.purinamills.com/wildlife/products/fish-aquatics/purina-reg;-aquamax-reg;-sport-fish-mvp

Note the promo for Sportsmen's Choice does not mention fish meal as an ingredient.
https://www.sportsmanschoicefeeds.com/product/trophyfish-feed

From ewest above: "Fish meal has proven to be an excellent dietary protein source for finfish, leading to its description as an ‘‘ideal protein.’’ The ideal protein concept is based on the premise that if the amino acid profile of the feed mimics the whole-body amino acid profile of the animal being fed, protein utilization and growth should be maximized.

If you really care about the best growth of your fish take the time and read through and learn from ewest's excellent fish food nutrition post above.

It would be very educational to see a fish feeding study that measures the amount of waste (manure) produced by several of these fish foods. Would SDSU be capable of doing a study like this and funded by donations of Pond Boss Members?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/06/17 10:08 AM.

S
S
But even the Sportsmans Choice fed at 2 or 3 pounds per acre per day would likely add to the overall BG crop weight and therefore increased LMB growth compared to no additional supplemental feed.

Would that be a fair statement to make?

A person can get a lot of dollars tied up in fish food. 10 pounds per acre per day of feed that costs more than a dollar a pound on a two or three acre pond fed 7 or 8 months of the year is more than money than a lot of pondmeisters are willing to invest I would guess. That is over a ton of feed a year or over $2,000 for what is considered the best feed. More than I want to spend I know.

So then the question becomes, on a limited budget, does a person feed one pound per day of the "good stuff", or can a better "bang for the buck" be had at two pounds per day of the cheap stuff?

Inquiring minds want to know! grin

Last edited by snrub; 01/06/17 11:12 AM.

John

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Originally Posted By: snrub
But even the Sportsmans Choice fed at 2 or 3 pounds per acre per day would likely add to the overall BG crop weight and therefore increased LMB growth compared to no additional supplemental feed.

Would that be a fair statement to make?

A person can get a lot of dollars tied up in fish food. 10 pounds per acre per day of feed that costs more than a dollar a pound on a two or three acre pond fed 7 or 8 months of the year is more than money than a lot of pondmeisters are willing to invest I would guess. That is over a ton of feed a year or over $2,000 for what is considered the best feed. More than I want to spend I know.

So then the question becomes, on a limited budget, does a person feed one pound per day of the "good stuff", or can a better "bang for the buck" be had at two pounds per day of the cheap stuff?

Inquiring minds want to know! grin

Would that be a fair statement to make? -- YES IT WOULD. There is always the question of good , better and best. That is what Bill and I are addressing.

So then the question becomes, on a limited budget, does a person feed one pound per day of the "good stuff", or can a better "bang for the buck" be had at two pounds per day of the cheap stuff? That is an issue addressed by many studies (species by species)in the field of commercial fish growout (for human or animal food consumption). They look at results per dollar cost but usually for one species i.e. catfish ponds or HSB ponds, not for recreational fish ponds.

Last edited by ewest; 01/06/17 11:35 AM.

T
T
Thank you ewest and you too Bill Cody. That's a lot of good information. Its cold here in E Texas today and we may see a little snow, so I am hanging in today and with little to do, so I will ask and tell my experience with fish food for my pond. First, I have not seen Cargill Triton 4512 mentioned here as another option when it comes to feeding my cnbg fhm, and hsb. Twenty six months ago I was introduced to the 4512 by Todd Overton @ Overtons Fisheries. I have tried two other brands, 4 bags of Purina(free from my seed and feed guy) and one bag of Optimal from a friend I made here. We did a trade when he felt like he needed a smaller sized product at the time and the 1/8" Cargill fit his need. My fish did not take to the Purina and I saw a lot of it floating around with little to no interest from the fish. And that was weird because my cnbg would tear the water up when feeding on the Cargill. The Optimal, my fish took right to it and left nothing floating around, same as the Cargill feed. So, I continued some looking around and have yet to find a reason to change feed. The Triton is 45% protein with 15% fat. And based on the growth rates ewest posted here, it seems to me the Cargill feed is at or near the top percentile when growing fish. A while back, I looked to see if Cargill was using fish meal and I did not find an answer. I did find where the company was trying to get away from fish meal because it was a dwindling natural resource, but today the 4512 fish food I get still has that fish smell when the feeders go off. I am not sure if it is meal or fish oil that gives off that fishy smell. Fish meal is not listed on the bag as an ingredient. I will also speak of the prices from Overtons/Cargill. I believe the price for 50 sks (Pallet or pallets) delivered is around $43.00 per 50 lb sk, which included the transportation. My last order was two pallets and so the cost may have changed since then, it was several months back. I can also say I have used the 1/8" and the 3/16" and the 1/4" sizes. I found what I believe was a problem with the 3/16" and that was choking and killing some of my 3 to 4" sized cnbg. I saw that happen at the time I was feeding. I was losing 4 to 6 cnbg in that size range and it took me several days to figure out what was killing these sized fish. I will continue to use the Cargill from Overtons unless I can find a reason to change. And my cnbg are getting big, I caught the largest bg I have ever caught in my life the other day I think it was close to 10 to 11" and this was most likely from my original stocking 26 months ago. I still have questions about the fish meal or where the high protein, amino acid and fat content comes from?

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
J
J
My philosophy with my limited knowledge is: Feed the best stuff while the fish are small, then feed the cheaper stuff, like catfish pellets. From what I have read, immature fish get more benefit from high quality, high protein food, and this benefit diminishes as the fish mature. My 6" CC grew to near four pounds in one year by doing this, and my stocked BG to breeding size (and nearly eating size) the same way. Once you have mature fish, they might eat most of the food anyway, so the small ones might have less benefit.

S
S
From what I have gathered by reading lots of posts over several years about feeding rates, hardly anyone full feeds. Hardly anyone feeds anywhere near that 10 pounds per acre level Bill C warns about as potential water quality problems. Much more common is in the one to three pound per acre range. So nearly everyone is supplemental feeding rather than satiation feeding.

I would think the closer the person gets to full feed rate, the more important the feed quality becomes. Once the fish is 100% dependent on the feed for sustenance, feed quality becomes all important. But if the fish is getting 10% of its requirements? Of course 10% of the fish may be eating 90% of tthe feed, so for that 10% of likely the fastest growers it could be very important.

I think it gets back to goals. My fish grew satisfactory for me back when all I had was 32% sinking and floating catfish feeds when I did not know any better. But those going for the gold ring it likely would not have been good enough.

I'm no expert John but I would agree that the early growth is important. My small 2-3" BG would cruise up to waters edge and stare at me waiting for their AM400 when I was hand feeding it to them. I would feed it very near shore so the bigger fish would not steal all of it. Those small fish went after it like a kid goes for candy.

Last edited by snrub; 01/06/17 12:32 PM.

John

J
J
I cannot recall ever hearing anyone chatting about Melick Aquafeed out of Pennsylvania? They produce an excellent product that we can get here in NE Ohio. It is 45-50% protein and 15% fat. The fish absolutely tear-it-up. Unbelievable. We've been through the AquaMaxx debacle and now have a viable solution. Honestly, I don't know if the type of feed impacts grubs or parasites but I do see less in the flesh of my fish. Coincidence?

During feeding time when you open up the bag or bin and you get a very strong whiff of fish meal and it stays on your hands after a couple washings with soap. Last year it was a combo platter of sinking/floating at the ~2mm sink + 3mm float size in one bag. We get it for $30/bag at the 1/2 pallet rate. This keeps the bold fish fed and the shy ones fed too. Go get em.

Buckeyedude
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
MellicK does produce a quality fish food. I have used it. It's main distribution area is the Northeast US.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I know I am late in this but I would like to say this. I have been feeding now for about 6 years. I supplement feed just like most. I have used SPC some and my fish seem to like it just fine. One of the better ideas Eric gave me once which was just a rookie thing on my end as I never gave it a thought at the time. I got some AM 400 on accident and was griping about it... lol He said well why don't you mix it in with your AM 600... duh.... So I did and the smaller fish loved it... I have don't this same thing with the SPC. I will mix a 50 pound bag of AM with a 25 bag of SPC... The fish seemed to love that also... It's a great filler and helps keep some of your cost down on the AM. Although I don't feed as much as some do. I do not want my fish dependent on fish food only....but that's just me.

Like Eric said all feeds will work to some degree. You could almost compare it to what you feed your dog. Do you feed your dog the ole general run of the mill dry dog food... Or do you feed him something else better so he is healthier, has a nice coat of fur and is much more fun and playful? Same concept... IMO

RC

Last edited by RC51; 01/06/17 02:56 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
J
J
I fed as much as I could this past growing season without chancing messing up the water. Usually to satiation, twice a day. But, it appears some fish ate much more than others.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday