Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
victortechy, fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra
18,475 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,938
Posts557,717
Members18,476
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
6 members (Augie, Lake8, Joe7328, Sunil, Theo Gallus, LeighAnn), 776 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Tbar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Dang, I just watched 4 booby trap videos.

Not really booby traps.....more like harmless early warning devices that can alert you and or scare perps away. cool

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yeah, but it's a small step to; Well, never mind.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
Tbar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
6.8 plants another one at 200 yards.

B
B
How accurate are the scopes? Do they keep there POI pretty good?

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
T
Tbar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: BrianL
How accurate are the scopes? Do they keep there POI pretty good?

This one is doing pretty good for me.

T
Tbar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Wacking and stacking......the 6.8SPC claims two more that came in at 6:30am this morning. Perfect shoulder shots.

W
W
You are kilin it! - literally!

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
F
F
Dave , I have the "original driveway alert" and have used it for about 3 years. Their "heavy duty" one will go around a building and does not have to be direct line like most. I have been very pleased with mine. Bought it specifically because I have buildings in the way.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
T
Tbar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
They are baaaack.....two nights in a row the motion detector on the feeder went off.

First kill was at 200 yards.....the buzzards had totally consumed it buy 8:30am the next morning.

Second kill I had to stalk as the cows were directly in the way. The up side was they gave me cover to close in to 60 yards. Battery was dead on the MDVR so no video.....Arrrggg!!!

I am really enjoying this thermal scope.

Tbar,
Is that a piston system or gas system?

The reason I ask is there is a lot of movement after the first shot and I think that recoil could be greatly reduced. Also, if I do the math right, your lead on the second shot ( the mover) was not enough. I would be glad to offer some suggestions if you think it would help your efforts.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
T
Tbar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: highflyer
Tbar,
Is that a piston system or gas system?

The reason I ask is there is a lot of movement after the first shot and I think that recoil could be greatly reduced. Also, if I do the math right, your lead on the second shot ( the mover) was not enough. I would be glad to offer some suggestions if you think it would help your efforts.

This is a gas system. I might do piston someday. Two factors involved with the perceived recoil. 1) I was relying on the mount for support.....wasn't braced and 2) I had the scope at a high magnification.

If you are referring to the video dated 01/29/17 I indeed missed that one. On the run and in this case closing distance to 150 yards quartering to me.

I hit the 2nd moving target in the 02/04/17 post. Don't know what I did different.

If you have suggestions......shoot. I am all ears.

FWIW.....these are stock off the shelf 115gn FMJ's. I am reloading the cases with Horaday 120gn SST's but have not brought them on line for hunting yet.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nice work. Are you processing the meat ?

T
Tbar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: ewest

I have processed some small ones in the past but did not process this one.

W
W
I WANT ONE!!!!!!

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 05/17/17 12:09 PM.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
S
S
Originally Posted By: Tbar
Originally Posted By: ewest

I have processed some small ones in the past but did not process this one.

Feral hogs are a lot of work hand butchering for a small amount of meat in general, at least for the ones I did. About 3 years ago when I had a lot of hogs to deal with, I ended up using ..... a Sawz-all from DeWalt after gutting to pull the head/neck off and splitting both hams/shoulders leaving the thin back alone. After a while, I stopped doing that and they just became Coyote bait as I had more than enough in the freezer. Pork chops were also very cheap at the local grocery store.

Little piglets in a smoker are a different story if I tag some today. They are also easier to work with though, unfortunately are a bit hard to find where I live as I think they stay back in trees until adults.

I also used some 'donors' to practice salt curing meat. That was a fun exercise and made skinning out a sow worth the effort.

A front end loader on a tractor and a good knife with lots of practice make skinning out a feral hog a lot easier so, if you are new to it don't give up on the first few. I found the bristles were very hard on the knife I used initially and my cuts were not very good. With a little anatomy knowledge from earlier butchering 'attempts', things got better pretty quick until the point I opted for the Sawz-all for choice cuts FAST butchering (though I was getting double digits a week and as many as 7 hogs in one night).

After using a 5.56 and a 6.8SPC, I must say I am a huge convert to 6.8SPC for feral hogs and coyotes. 6.8's will put them down when a 5.56 won't due to less than ideal shot placement. blush Sometimes, my aim is not the best so I can use all the help the ammo company can provide at times.

The other word of warning with night shooting and thermals. A lot of the more 'affordable' units don't have the best resolution and clarity of the image you are viewing. For me, deer are the worst or more specifically the fawns. Horses and cattle are easy to identify due to body shape, stature and, movement while grazing. If adult deer are grazing, looking at fawns in the grass is tricky. At ~100~200 yards, a fawn hiding in the grass is indistinguishable from a piglet that isn't moving. If you see a lot of deer and see the faint 'piglet' looking images, observe them closely! Last year I hit the Lotto Jackpot one night when I counted 27 adult deer in the thermal scope. That night the fawns really looked like a litter of piglets in the grass initially. It is easy to overlook the details and falsely identify a fawn if you don't have 3rd gen Night Vision to interrogate the thermal image. Behavior and body movement are important if all you have is a thermal image of average quality.

A final word of consideration. If like me, you shoot hogs all night on your property, your neighbors are not going to be happy if they are big city transplants for the weekend. Even if they aren't nervous hearing rifle fire during the day, random rifle fire all night can be upsetting. A suppressor really helps alleviate complaints from neighbors.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I second using a can. That will probably allow you to get at least one more shot off before they turn on the afterburners.

I'd give them about another foot to 18" lead at 200 yds when they are running hard and see what happens. Keep the muzzle swinging as you squeeze the trigger. Stopping the gun equates to shooting behind them.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
S
Originally Posted By: esshup
I second using a can. That will probably allow you to get at least one more shot off before they turn on the afterburners.

I'd give them about another foot to 18" lead at 200 yds when they are running hard and see what happens. Keep the muzzle swinging as you squeeze the trigger. Stopping the gun equates to shooting behind them.

Where I shoot, without a suppressor they run away from me. With a suppressor they all run random directions because they hear the bullet impact more than the muzzle blast and wonder where it came from.

With some running full tilt left, some full tilt right, some at me and, some away the challenge is different but, I also have more time to take more shots since they don't all hit cover or get out of range (or in front of a bad backstop like cattle in the next pasture, a house, or public road, or ...) at the same time.

T
Tbar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Last night the pig alarm went off. Went out and there were probably 30+. Had to stalk out to them because the cows were in the way. Only got one but did get a video that I will upload this weekend. Still shooting 115gn FMJ's.

T
Tbar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
This is a poor quality video.......I had way too much contrast. Next time I will make adjustments before I hunt. I attempted to get a pass through two for one on the first shot but no luck. Listening to the sound on the video I think I hit the pig on the last shot.

Wow, that is a bunch of hogs, good luck thinning them out some. I'm guessing the cows didn't like the shooting to much. Thanks for posting, I have enjoyed keeping up with your exploits.

2011 five acre pond. LMB, SMB, HSB, SPB, BG, CNBG, HBG, RES, WM, CC, BCP, GC, FHM, GSH
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Jeez O Pete! You raising cattle or hogs???

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
D
Tbar how far?

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Scott, in Texas, a lot of us are raising hogs.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
P
P
Yes we are!

T
Tbar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
Tbar how far?

???

If you are refering to that last video I stalked to about 85 yards.

The other videos shots were taken from a fixed position at 200 yards.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/16/24 02:35 PM
Braggin Time
by Lake8 - 04/16/24 02:21 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/16/24 01:49 PM
'Nother New Guy
by FishinRod - 04/16/24 01:42 PM
aeration pump type?
by Theo Gallus - 04/16/24 10:19 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 04/16/24 09:49 AM
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 09:45 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by Augie - 04/16/24 09:31 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday