Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, RogersTailgate, jpsdad, anthropic), 843 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Simple question, but the Science is somewhat undecided from I have read. Does Aeration prevent HAB's???? This will be in a 30acre lake with a maximum depth of 35 feet...........Thanks

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
There are reasons why "Science" is undecided on aeration inhabiting HAB's. Numerous variables and some unknowns. To my knowledge aeration has never been proven in the scientific literature to significantly reduce dissolved phosphorus (aka soluable phosphorus or ortho phosphorus) the main cause of HAB algae. In my professional experience and opinion the success of aeration preventing HAB's is highly dependent on the nutrient budget of the lake. Aeration if strong enough creating adequate turnovers/day usually just redistributes the offending algae rather than actually reducing or suppressing its growth. You may have money better well spent by performing a phosphorus inactivation / improvement technique using aluminum sulfate (alum) or sodium aluminate or both or heavily focus on reducing or abatement of incoming phosphorus. Lake average depth has a lot to do with success of alum treatments to reduce P. IMO before spending money,,, get more advice on this idea or topic from an experienced limnologist and or certified professional lake manager. Consider contacting Carole Limbi Professor and algae expert at Purdue University or an equivalent professional.

I have a pretty good reservoir management workshop dealing with HAB as a pdf file but I'm not sure how to send it to you.
Here is one of Ken Wagner's presentations that is very similar to the pdf that I have.
https://conference.ifas.ufl.edu/aw15/documents/Presentations/2%20Wed%206A%201000%20Ken%20Wagner.pdf

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/28/16 05:22 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
S
OP Offline
S
Bill- Thanks so much. I forwarded that algae presentation to my Lake Committee. Just trying to understand the science on this. In your opinion does have deep water make Aeration more beneficial??? We are two lakes joined by a small channel the one lake is 55 feet and the other is 35 feet. It seems to me if you get diffusers in that deep cold water it is more beneficial than if your lake was only 15' deep, maybe I misunderstood the lecture?? Thanks.......BTW the Purdue Algae expert retired in 2010.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
No matter what path you take, expect to spend lots of money minimizing all the prior years of eutrophication that have finally degraded the water quality of your 2 lakes to the point of now having HAB algae. Fixing and dealing with it will expensive due to the total surface area and degree of eutrophication of the lakes.

It will take high pressure compressors to get ample air to the 55ft depth and less psi to put air to 35ft to get the required water turnover per unit of time. I would use the smaller water body as a test subject before spending lots of money on both lakes.

Without knowing the water bodies, I assume both lakes stratify. Hypolimneic water may or may not loose DO in the summer. Deep water aeration will disrupt the stratification, dilute the surface nutrient balance and may or may not help mitigate the HAB. Anoxic phosphorus laden water from the hypolimnion could stimulate more bloom - depending on numerous factore. Depending on the volume of hypolimnion, blending that water into the epilimnion may, I emphasize may, reduce the phosphorus levels enough the HAB bloom will not be as abundant?. What really needs to be done is to sample the nitrate and ortho-phosphorus (ortho-P, soluable-dissolved, bio-available) concentrations biweekly or monthly from May 01 to Oct 01. Analyze the results. If possible the hypolimnion should also be nutrient monitored. Note - Total phosphorus measurements are not necessarily the best indicator of HAB potential. Total P measures all phosphorus including ortho-P plus all that bound as unavailable in all plankton, bacteria, and detritus. Total P is usually several times higher than ortho-P. Some N:P indexes (Redfield Ratio) will use total phosphorus as the P. Total P is often used to gauge or estimate the overall productivity or trophic index of a lake.

I suspect that inflowing water is rich in phosphorus and is feeding a lot of the HAB bloom.
Which lake has the larger area and which one has the worst HAB blooms? Do you know the offending algae species that cause the HAB blooms?

In dealing with this HAB problem explore the cost of trimming and treating the HAB bloom with Pak27 (peroxygen solutions) a fairly new environmentally safe product for HABs used my many municipalities for effective HAB reservoir management. This product requires proper timing, application of the product, proper dosages, and a specially modified boat to effectively distribute the product.
http://www.peroxygensolutions.com/
http://www.peroxygensolutions.com/market-segments/residential-recreational-lakes
http://www.peroxygensolutions.com/purchase/international-other-than-canada

Have the lakes ever had a general limnology survey that examined thermocline depth and volume, water chemistry, the nutrient budget, aquatic plant survey, algae - zooplankton survey, and fish survey? All these things enter into rationale of HAB management. Contact the closest University with a good biology department or with a limnologist. The limnology class professor may be interested in making your lake a class project.

I know there are knowledgeable and educated, professional experienced lake managers in Indiana. You should be able to get a list of them from: http://www.nalms.org/

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/30/16 12:23 PM.

S
S
Ok, so I will be the one to ask the dumb question. What is a HAB?

Not in commonly used acronyms. All I could think of was Ham And Beans and figured that could not be it.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Harmful Algae Bloom.

The basics...

http://health.mo.gov/safety/recreationalwater/pdf/bgalgaebrochure.pdf

I had to ask the same question, I wish it were "Ham and Beans"...It's almost lunch time!

I did suugest to Theo to update the acronyms page as I questioned him about it being "Horrific Algae Bloom". As it turns out it's "Harmful" not "Horrific". However, it will always be "Ham and Beans" now...thanks snrub!

Fish on!,
Noel
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I will add HAB to the acronym list in the Archives.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images