Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,131
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
14 members (FishinRod, Bill Cody, Sunil, jpsdad, Boondoggle, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689, rjackson, esshup), 1,018 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It's some kind of wireless from a local company. I called a neighbor who is using it and is impressed. The downside that I see are the frequent electrical outages during storms in rural areas. That will shut down the computer and I won't know it. Another downside is the $60.00 per month for internet that I've never wanted there. But, I'm PO'd and $ just isn't a problem at this time.

I'm wondering what a HOTSPOT would do for me. I know nothing about that. Anybody?

The no flash cams are one outside the gate looking at the gate so I can possibly get a license #. Another on the road from the gate to the house and 2 on trees around the house. I'll light up the house area to help on the cams at the house. I also went with lithium batteries in the cams.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
B
Sorry to hear about your break-ins Dave, knock on wood but we have not had any problems with that in more than 30 years although a neighbor or two closer to the major road have had issues. Most of the locals would not want to mess with our partners in our farming operation as these are big boys who would inflict some major pain on anyone they might encounter trying to cause problems or steal things (and "major" is probably an understatement). I can understand your wish to avoid getting the internet....we continue to fight the millennials in our family who want to constantly be "connected". This is mostly a weekend place where we go to be "disconnected".

In any case, in terms of projects for 2017, I have decided to make a list that is actually doable and not just fantasy. I am a list guy who always totally overestimates what I can actually get done within a given time frame. This is what I was jotting down a few days ago (BL, BJ and #1 are our 3 BOWs):

Early spring 2017 focus on:

1. Harvest targets in BL and #1: meet the 2016 targets (fell slightly short).
2. Algae, etc. control: plan on 2 treatments of copper sulfate (100 lbs. total). Then use the Cutrine Plus/Diquat combo in tank sprayer for spot treatment. Figure out sago/coontail issue in BJ.
3. Habitat improvement in all three ponds. More brushy cover in 2-6 feet deep water. PVC structures in all.
4. Build dock in BJ Lake (5 X 10).
5. Move some fish around in all ponds. Swap BG and LMB. Buy a 40 gallon stock tank and 12-volt aerator to facilitate the process.
6. Grass Carp: stock 6/7 in each smaller pond and 20 in the BL.
7. Raise water level @ BJ 12-18 inches.

Fall 2017: focus on stocking new genetics

1. BJ: 300 adult BG, 50 feed trained 1 lb. LMB. Texas Hunter feeder.
2. #1: 25 adult BG, 25 1 lb. LMB
3. BL: 75 adult BG, 50 1 lb. LMB

Looking toward mid-March in our area to get started on these items. If I can get this stuff done (I have friends more than willing to help)I will be well on my way to improving our fishing.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all. BM61.

Last edited by bassmaster61; 12/23/16 01:50 PM.

In 2016 I learned that there's a very big difference in being able to weld, and being a welder. I'm pulling the trigger on a Miller 215 after Christmas, and plan to migrate from nail guns and impact wrenches to stick and mig in 2017. A hydroponic equipped greenhouse will be the big project. More fruit trees and only Heirloom vegetables will also be planted.

As far as my big pond, forage will be the tricky part next year. With the elimination of acres of coontail, comes far more open water, and a change in LMB feeding habits. The condition of the LMB will dictate what I do. Also, all 7-9" CNBG caught will be removed. They're too big for the majority of my LMB, but to small to be trophy's, so they need to go.

We've pushed our brood pond extremely hard this last year to see if year round forage could be a viable option by only stocking temperature sensitive fish(tilapia and RBT). The goal was as many productive months as possible with fish that can not survive and become a liability when other fish are introduced to the pond. I think it's doable, but 10 months into this, I'm not sure it's the best thing to do. In 2017 we'll give this pond a break, and only stock a few large CNBG for breeding purposes that have the visual and physical characteristics we want.

More Bluebird and Wood duck houses need to be put out. My experience is that birds don't seem to nest in bird houses sitting on my shop floor.

Because of the size of my big pond, I'll also going to a 1" gas powered siphon system to spray pond herbicides in 2017. A 12 volt pump and 25 gallon tank makes DIY weed control laborious at best.

Getting all the wood replaced, and a general mani-pedi of my 1981 Monark needs to be finished too.

AL

B
B
FirelsHot....what did you use to rid your BOW of the coontail and how did you apply it? I know there are multiple options out there but what kills coontail also kills sago pondweed.....and that is on my 2017 project list. I need to get a better system in place. Last year was frustrating. thanks. BM61

bm61, you are correct. I used the standard Rodeo/Cutrine/Sidekick cocktail, and that also kills sago. Maybe esshup knows something better.

I used the typical 12 volt 25 gallon rig like you see at Northern Tool. For guns, hoses, pump parts, etc., PW Mall is where I shop. Stainless steel guns are the way to go if spraying cutrine. Without proper cleaning each and every time, the aluminum guns and wands get trashed PDQ.

AL

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I hope to fish. Not raise fish, cage fish, sort fish, sex fish, read about fish, worry over fish, or buy fish. Just FISH. Probably won't turn out that way, but it sounds nice when I say it aloud.

Al, that's how it starts. A new welder. Then you realize you need a metal cutting bandsaw, a portable cutoff saw, a drill press, angle grinder, welding clamps, a sexy auto-darkening welding helmet that has fish scales airbrushed on it, a welding table for the "small" jobs, a set of leathers, and certainly a huge material stockpile of all things made from a variety of metals. No longer will you throw anything malleable aside...it will now languish "out back" of the new welding shop, ( I did mention the new welding shop to house everything in, didn't I?", slowly rusting into the ground until a sudden epiphany allows you to see it in it's new, Al-fabricated, repurposed form.

It's a sickness.

Last edited by sprkplug; 12/22/16 09:32 PM. Reason: added text

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Tony, you forgot the Fein nibbler!!!

Actually, the only thing I really wanted since moving here 3 years ago was to close in our 24X24 tractor shed, and turn it into a storage building for all things outdoor and gas related. I got that this fall when the 70 yo guy that built everything here came out of retirement to do this job for me. I had no clue such precision work could be done with a piece of string, a pocket measuring tape, and an ancient piece of sandstone. In short, the guy's an artist.

The whole job could have been done in a few days if I had hired somebody that built steel buildings, but it took 2 weeks to finish this job since he only worked 3-4 hours a day. But what that did do is give me a chance to be there every second and learn. I swept, hauled purling, watched torch work, watched the back of steel as he welded to get a look at the weld penetration, basically all the 101 stuff many of you may take for granted. After all that, I feel like it's time for me to quit hauling lumber from the big box store, and start hauling steel.

A power tool rack for the main shop, and a nice, build it once, welding table will be the first things I do. Scott's already given me some great advice about the table, but when the time comes, I'll need your input also.

Sometimes all this homestead/pond stuff can be a physical and mental beating for me, but this welding deal has gotten me excited again. The possibilities are endless.

AL

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Shoot, I'm excited just hearing about it!

When you get that Miller home, ask her to introduce you to her equally beguiling sister....Miss Plasma Cutter.

Yep, I think I need to begin putting together a list of "essentials" for you. Only the necessities of course. Do you have a font preference for the monogramming on your welding gloves?

A comic san serif font is easy to read, so let's go with that.

Most of what's done here will still be with a stick, which I'm ok working with. The mig will help with the smaller more detail oriented stuff which I want to try.

Isn't it fun spending other people's money? I cherish those opportunities.

AL

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Speaking of wielding and such things, I bought a nice Lincoln wielder a few months back. And did some repair work on one of the boat trailers. Guided by a woman wielder who taught my son and me about wielding. Her work looked like factory work, nice and neat. My wielding looked like roughed in or not so smooth but it has held up so far. She called it Gorilla wield, strong but not so good looking lol. A grinder did smooth out some of that rough work. So my next wielding project may be with Aluminum. You guys might recall in my past post that after installing 6 diffusers in the pond, the diffusers would kick up bottom sediment which caused a cloud of light colored silt or clays into the water or air column. So now I am thinking I might try wielding up some type of aluminum platform for the diffusers to set on. The Lincoln wielder has a dial type settings and I hope this wielder can be set to do aluminum wields. If not I will try using some thin metal sheets for building the platforms. Aluminum would be a lot lighter to work with. Help lol

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
P
P
Welder Tracy...... I are one! Been one my whole career.. If you are a gorilla welder on carbon don't try aluminum. A lot harder to do and takes some serious equipment to do it. Heilliarc with a high frequency rig is required.welding is an art fer sure. I can show you a lot of tricks to be a better welder.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I wish I could weld aluminum. I think it would open up a whole other dimension of possibilities.

P
P
The biggest problem with aluminum is ya can't tell so easy if it gets to hot..... It just falls through.... Ugh

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Pat, there is an open invitation to come stay anytime you want to get away from that crappy (Craw-Pee) pond smile You too Sparky, maybe Pat will school us on Alum and other wielding. I need to get started on the diffuser platform project. Most likely start them back up early March. Be here before I know it.
2017, another Beaver showed up in that beaver den at the dam. Another project, always something to get done.

Last edited by TGW1; 12/24/16 07:14 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 09:00 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday