Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,128
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
16 members (jpsdad, rjackson, esshup, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg), 959 guests, and 191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The new year is just a few days away and its cold here in The Ark-La-Tex. As I set by the fire this morning I am thinking of the plans I have for the place this year. I look back over this past year and I did not get all I wanted done. I did get a settling pond built so I could reduce the amount of sand that goes into my big pond after heavy rain events, but did not get my second pond built. I hope to get the second pond built this year. I would like to have a duck hunting pond where rice and ducks and maybe some cnbg might come together. And do it myself and not have it done by a contractor.
So I thought it would be a good time to ask what are in your plans this new year? What are your 2017 projects at your place? Sharing might give some of us an idea or two.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Hoping to build another wetland, some more vernal pools, plant more seedling trees and native plants (including in the wetland we built last year), and continue to control invasive exotic brush. Also need to clean up fallen trees and branches from trails over the holidays, and cut up firewood and haul back to the house. If we get the finish grade on the pad, we will likely have pole barn put up. Time will tell what actually gets done...

We are going to have the north inlet sediment pond dam repaired, and the pond cleaned out (as much as possible); I'm going to add some more habitat/cover (I have a pile of 1/2 inch PVC waiting for some attention); need to add some gravel beds in a few key locations, which I think I'll do by putting piles on the ice. And I need to put up 4 new wood duck boxes, which I plan to do on the ice in January or February.

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Tracy,
I am planning on adding the new brood ponds on the NW side of the big pond. I am also looking at finally adding the aeration system to the big pond. Time will tell.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
F
F
Tracy, my plans are to add aeriation and try to get more grass growing all around the pond. Possibly get some large rock hauled in to fill the bad cutouts in the side of the pond from runoff.And try to get rid of a pita gbh!!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
P
P
Poor GBH!! Heck James they don't eat that much, it's the cormorants YA got to worry with, not to mention the otters

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I too do not sweat the herons. I enjoy watching them. I think mine eat more frogs than fish. We apparently have a rookery a few miles away, but I have not seen it.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Add more bullfrogs.
Floating dock installed Jan/Feb 2017.
Transplant some cedar trees.
Maybe try to build a small ATV bridge over a creek-bed.
Have more bonfires.
install more solar spotlights.
Maybe an electric front gate.
Fish more, more walks.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

F
F
Pat, Let's just say the otters are no longer a problem. I asked on here before but did not get a answer. How many pounds of fish a day does a full grown gbh eat? Even a estimated guess or some biologist on here might have some recorded data from a study of these huge birds.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
P
P
I would think not many lbs since they only work the shallows probably oz a day but not sure plus snakes , crawfish, frogs and the like. I don't treat them as a threat at all for a healthy pond..... But that's just me ....

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/1548-8454(2000)062%3C0149%3ACGBHPO%3E2.0.CO%3B2

About 300 gm/day = 0.66 lbs/day
If all they eat are your fish.

A
A
My biggest priority is to sell a house I've been working on for the past few months since I bought a house with my lady.

I'd like to begin work turning the pond into something pretty.

Honeysuckle maintenance, honeysuckle maintenance, honeysuckle maintenance...

My gf is planning a big garden so I'm sure I'll help with that.

My FIL gave us a wood splitter, so I'll likely start chopping down a bunch of dead trees and splitting them. I have a patch of trees that blocks a nice view to my back field that I'd like to get through.

I have a shed I'd like to double the size of.

Go harvest and start training some soon to be bonsai!

Snort Coffee is a podcast about goofy stuff. Hope to add ponding to my list of hobbies.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Asian honeysuckle is a mess. I hope they find some type of biological control and introduce it.

A
A
Seriously, we've had around 5 to 10 several hundred square foot burn piles of it already, and there is more to do.

Snort Coffee is a podcast about goofy stuff. Hope to add ponding to my list of hobbies.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
We will never get it under control, so we just attack one area each year. What is hard is seeing new ones come up in the same area that was cleared and treated the year before. BTW - I leave my brush piles for wildlife. I don't burn them anymore.

Last edited by RAH; 12/20/16 03:53 PM.
S
S
I have a full size conventional Kenworth hood sitting out behind a shed. Been there a couple years now but I refused to let the guys in the shop get rid of it after we put a new one on the truck. I just knew it would make good fish habitat some day.

Now that the RES pond is built I plan to make a RES refuge out of it. I figure sitting the hood in its original position will provide a shade area about 3 ft deep under the hood. RES like shade. Will probably attach some concrete blocks and some woden pallets under/around it also and have a bunch of plasxtic 2 liter bottle shipping crates to attach around the outside for more surface area.

I'll let my imagination be my guide when I get started on in next spring. So that along with some other cover and getting the pond limed and stocked with FHM and RES. That is what is lined up for 2017 so far.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
J
J
Hoping for rain so the new pond fills up, and the 1.5 yr old one rises. The new pond will be CC, RES, and FHM. Going to feed the CC pellets. Not stocking as heavy as first pond. Probably 30 CC, 30 RES, and 2 lb FHM, IF the new pond fills. Hoping we don't have a prolonged drought. No significant rain since July 26-27.

We have spent the last 3 years turning a cornfield into a home with pond, garden, mini-orchard, hundreds of new trees and landscaping. My plan for 2017 is to PIDDLE doing things I want to play with, not HAVE TO DO!

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/20/16 09:39 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
At this time, nothing to do with the ponds.

My immediate chore is getting internet and Ring.com installed. Ought to be done in a couple of weeks. Over Thanksgiving, Charlene and I spent 4 days there. We started to leave the place for a day trip to Oklahoma and found the front gate open. We always keep it locked; even when we are there. Somebody had used bolt cutters and cut the electric Co's lock. I assume that they had come in the previous night, noticed 2 vehicles and left. Since we don't live there, I figure the druggies will come back. I have a mobile home, construction office trailer, and shipping container and STUFF/JUNK.

I have hauled a lot of fishing/hunting/stuff plus other misc junk back to D/FW and put most of the tools into the shipping container. The shipping container has a lock with a 1/4 inch steel cover that is a PITA to get to. 4 wheelers stay in the shipping container and I have hauled my big tool box and tools into it. I put an additional chain and lock on the front gate. The chain and lock were around $90.00. But I'm not kidding myself that they can't get in. I have put up 4 black flash game cams but realistically I don't recognize myself when I do a walk test at 20 feet at night. I will also put up a pretty strong light to help the game cams. When I left there the other day I left the house and office trailer unlocked. No sense in making the druggies tear things up to get in.

I have gone from ballistic to paranoid and back to PO'd. I want somebodys butts in jail.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 12/21/16 06:50 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Sorry to hear about the problem Dave. I went thru a similar situation at our place before we actually moved hear. My emotions went from PO'd to more PO'd to MORE PO'd....They even stole my No Trespassing signs, posts and all! I put up a game camera and got some nice shots of wild turkeys and deer.

Did you file a report with the sheriff? I did and they started sending a car around every once in a while. They didn't catch anyone but the problem stopped. I also figured it was good to a least have a report on file just in case.

Good Luck!

Bill

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/21/16 07:58 AM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Sorry about your situation. A friend told me that we have a legal system, not a justice system in the USA... I hope that this is not too political for this site.

S
S
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
We have spent the last 3 years turning a cornfield into a home with pond, garden, mini-orchard, hundreds of new trees and landscaping. My plan for 2017 is to PIDDLE doing things I want to play with, not HAVE TO DO!

That is what I keep telling myself Bill. I'm going to quit taking on these projects and actually take time to enjoy the ones already finished. Then I go and build a new RES pond and start all over. crazy

For me the process seems to create as much enjoyment or more than the actual end result.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
My wife and I have spent the last quarter century working on wildlife habitat on our place, and I have another 300 years of plans. While I really enjoy completing a project and watching it progress toward maturity, I enjoy starting the next project even more. I never wonder how I will keep busy when I retire:)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Bill, I called the Sheriff and a Deputy came out and talked to me. Don't know about a report but maybe. I told him that I realized that as far as I was off the road, there wasn't a lot that they could do. My gate is about 250 yards from the public dirt road with a private road leading to my gate and a couple of neighbors. I guess we qualify as pretty secluded. Not a lot of people know that my place exists. That's what will make it easy for the thieves to drop by at their convenience.

This is my third situation in 30 years. About 10 years ago, I got hit for a 4 wheeler and 16 ft trailer to haul it on. I put a $500 reward in the local paper. That lead to info, arrest and recovery. Then, 2 years ago "they" stole two 4 wheelers that I thought I had camo'd and hidden back in the woods. I didn't get those back and I found that I was way over insured.

I replaced them with new ones and bought a steel shipping container.

As said, I'm getting a system called ring.com. I'm hoping it helps. I checked with several people who have it and like it. You guys might want to take a look at it.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 12/21/16 09:20 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
F
Dave -

That Ring.com looks interesting. I would like to hear how you like it down the road after you have a chance to test-drive it a while.

Being so remote, what kind of internet connection are you getting?

Thanks

My plans for 2017:
* Get my pond dam seeded.
* Install cedar structure in the pond.
* Pray for rain to fill the pond.
* Initial fish stocking.
* Work to reduce the amount of Huisache on my property, I know this is a life-long project!
* Plant oak and other hardwood seedlings.
* Get a water well drilled.
* Spray for weeds, improve the grass.

Last edited by FayetteTX; 12/21/16 10:07 AM.

If Though Desire Rest, Desire Not Too Much.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 08:24 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday