Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,941
Posts557,757
Members18,480
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,501
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
8 members (esshup, Fishingadventure, Brad346, Joe7328, Foozle, Freunb02, Dave Davidson1, Bill Cody), 997 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: wbuffetjr
4Corners - I am definitely all ears and appreciate any suggestions. I think you are right. I need to come up with something this summer to put out there. I would just want to be able to put whatever it was in when I leave in September and pull it out when I come back in the summer. Just wouldn't necessarily want to look at something out there all the time.

Bill D - this is straight from Koenders...
"The compressor is capable of pumping 28 lbs pressure, but will only pump the amount necessary to push air into whatever depth water you have...for example 10 ft of water depth will require about 4 lbs. (aprx .4 lbs per ft of depth) And it will only require about a 9 mph wind to do it!
It will pump useable pressure as well as volume. The volume again varies with water depth. At 1 ft of depth you will get 3 cfm...at 10' about 2.5 etc."

I have 2 vertex diffusers out. One at 6' and one at 10'. Pond is 22' at deepest.

As far as wind speed up there..... My buddy spent the weekend up there at his place (350' lower elevation than me). Last night they had a big storm blow in and got 20" of snow. He keeps a windmeter out that he said recorded an average windspeed of 20mph! I KNOW we get a TON of wind up there when I am there. I expected this windmill to be more effective than it appears to be.

If you want to remove it in summer then I would take a 2 or 3 inch pipe however long you need and weld like a 12x12 inch platform on it or 15x15 so you could just set it near your fusers. Make like 3 or 4 or them and put them all around it. Course this would only work if the area where your fuser is is kinda level. If not then you would have to pound them in to some degree.

RC

Last edited by RC51; 02/16/16 08:29 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
R
R
Originally Posted By: wbuffetjr
Having the object in the water is definitely an interesting idea. Check out this picture. The snow around the little generator shed and the big rock have clearly been melted. I can only guess that was from the sun heating them up. The sun up there is definitely "different". You could probably fry an egg on the hood of your truck when it is 70 degrees outside. Maybe the metal pipe trick would work.

IM more likely to be in your boat in the middle of winter. It all depends on what the year holds. This is my first winter with a ton of LMB that I lucked out on. I think I have wayyyyy to many as a result of three bass I threw in here from a private pond. I also have a new aeration system and aerated all summer in the middle f the night. Fish are very active and the winter the pond WILL FREEZE but the snow depth can be like this at times if it snows hard enough.

Im reading all this but if I set my aerators at a shallow level when winter starts, the pond will rise significantly as its on an underground spring and run off. So the aerators will be deeper as the winter progresses.

I have a feeling I will have some LMB loss as my pond is getting low and there hundreds if not thousands of LMB in a small acre size pond that hits twice that size when it fills back up.

RUMBLON

R
R
This was a couple of springs ago, early spring. But typical. frozen solid during winter.

Attached Images
IMG_6607.JPG
M
M
Any advice appreciated:
I manage an oval 3 acre pond (13 acre-ft volume), max depth 9ft, in lower New York State. There are some fish, but the pond is mostly used for swimming. Currently have 1hp aerator running four diffuser heads (6-9" long silica diffuser stones on each head). The intent is to minimize blue-green algae outbreaks during summer. My rough calcs show I turn over the lake volume more than 2/day. Now that winter is here, is there any benefit to continuing to run the aerator? I know that the temps are too low to promote bluegreen algae, but does winter aeration help, perhaps, promoting breakdown of the muck at the bottom of the pond?? Or am I doing more harm than good (by cooling the water column too much and stressing the fish) and should shut down for the winter?
Many thanks
Theodore

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Generally there will be very little organic muck bacterial decomposition during winter water temperatures at 39F compared to the warm water seasons. Since a higher quality fishery is not a main goal for your pond, a mild winter kill will not be a dramatic event. Going into winter when water temperatures decrease to 50F most ponds naturally circulate top to bottom due to night cooling and increased wind action. At this point in many situations aeration can be turned off unless a specific need is present in the management plan or the goals.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/22/16 09:41 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
D
What works for me is to turn off the two deep air stations and turn on the two shallow ones. The reason is to let the deeper water stay warmer and not cool the whole body of water. The shallow air stations is to keep the water open and if anyone or the dog falls into the water its shallow and close to shore to get out.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/17/24 08:28 PM
How many LMB to remove?
by esshup - 04/17/24 08:24 PM
No feed HSB or CC small pond?
by esshup - 04/17/24 08:21 PM
Opportunistic Munchers