Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,055
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
13 members (Freg, Donatello, Layne, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 633 guests, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
That should work well. See pic for proof.

Attached Images
fathedsinpipe.jpg
Last edited by ewest; 04/23/18 09:50 AM.

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
That is a lot of FHM in one pipe!

When we first built our main pond and stocked it, the wife set up an aquarium in our living room. We put I think 4 short pipes about the same size as the one in your picture in the bottom and put a dozen or so FHM in. It was funny to watch them dart from pipe to pipe, the more dominant ones chasing out the others positioning and creating their "pecking order".

We did not keep them long enough for them to spawn in the aquarium but we did see some pre spawning behavior in the pipes with dominant males staking out their territories.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
C
C
What size pvc pipe is in the condo in the pond? Are the multiple drilled holes in the PVC pipe important or can the hole on each end of the pipe be sufficient?

Ewest, what size pvc pipe is in your picture you attached?

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Sorry for the tardy reply. Been busy and missed reading some posts for a few days. The pipe is mostly 2" because that is what scrap I had laying around. Had one piece of 3" in there too.

The holes were drilled with a step drill and drilled to a size I thought was "about right". They are all different sizes. I doubt if they are "important" but my line of thinking was to allow more water flow for better O2 levels and to give the FHM escape routes from predators. It is probably more about my imagination than anything really useful.

I did try to point the pipes in directions so the competing males would have some privacy and be less likely spending their time fighting for turf from other males. The 2x4 up the middle blocks the view of tubes on the other side row.

In reality I suspect the FHM will use the rock piles more than the condo but I likely will never know for sure. I have spotted one male protecting a nest in one of the rock piles.

They are successfully spawning because I have noted lots of 1/4 to 1/2" FHM fry in small pools around the edge of the pond.

Last edited by snrub; 05/19/18 10:09 PM.

John

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Good news on the SMB in this pond. I had concerns a flock of cormorants had wiped them and the RES out.

Fished for about a half hour trying to sample the RES and caught no RES. But I did catch two SMB both in very good condition. Those fish have some spunk! So much so that one fought its way out of my hand and flopped on the ground unfortunately. Then is when I decided best to leave them alone and quit fishing for them.

Both were about the same size, 9-10". One is pictured below.

Attached Images
20180519_135113.jpg

John

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Did a little more fishing in this pond to try and sample the RES to see their progress. Still no RES but I did catch another SMB, this one right at 10" and seemed fat and healthy other than quite a few of the parasites that look like black pepper flakes (forget the name). Can not see them too well in the picture but if you look at the pectoral fin they show up as black dots.

Appear to have good FHM recruitment. At least I think they are FHM. They could be gambusia fry as I did have some gams in this pond last year but I have not seen anything of the adults this year and have seen a number of the adult FHM, so hopefully they are FHM fry. When I put rock around this pond the bank was soft near the water edge and the loader tractor front tires sank in and made some places that held shallow water a number of places around the edge. In every one of these shallow water areas the fry pictured are there. One day I found the fry, the next day went back and found bird tracks (likely Killdeer) and no fry, now they are filled with fry again.

Maybe if I remember when I feed will try to get an aquarium dip net and net some of them. Put them in a glass jar and see if you all can identify them.

Attached Images
20180526_163635.jpg 20180526_162432.jpg

John

Hey John,

You know I'm not a pro but it looks like black spot disease to me which IIRC is part of a flat worm life cycle. As you haven't had the SMB that long and have RES for snail control, I suspect it came in with your SMB stockers. I had it on a small YP I caught a couple years ago in my pond. My PS must be doing the job on snail control because I haven't seen a fish with it since. As long as you have a healthy RES population, IMO it is nothing to worry about.

Bill D.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Lots and lots of snails in this pond. I actually inoculated it with snails specifically to feed the RES. But so far I have not been able to catch a RES by hook and line. I'm a little concerned they survived the winter but not terribly concerned. I have taken a few RES from my forage pond and put them in this pond "just in case" I lost a lot over winter.

I need to try the cast net in this pond and see if I can pull some RES fingerlings out. Then I will know I've had a spawn. I guess seeing a lot of snails adds to my concern of having all the RES I originally stocked. There is lots of algae on the rocks and FA on the bottom though so ideal conditions for snail production.

John

snrub #491578 06/10/18 02:02 PM
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Tried the cast net in this pond today at high noon with almost no results. I get lots better results near sundown with the cast net.

But I did actually drag one very small fish ashore (it actually fell through the cast net mesh on the way out of the water) that I would very much like an ID on. If it is what I think it is, it will be a great surprise.

The fish stocked in this pond are RES. FHM and SMB with some gambusia that likely came from some plants I transplanted although I have not seen any of the gams this year. I hope the fish in the pictures is at least one of those stocked and my guess is a SMB. If that is the case I already have SMB recruitment which is a big surprise. I did not figure there would be any before next year. I have caught some SMB in this pond at 10" though.

I wish I had taken time to spread its dorsal and tail fins out for a better picture. If it is not a SMB it also is not a RES or FHM so I have something in there I don't want.

Attached Images
20180610_112927.jpg 20180610_112941.jpg

John

snrub #491579 06/10/18 02:36 PM
Lunker
Lunker
I think it might be a SMB, not for sure though.

Here is a fingerling SMB from my pond.

Attached Images
DSC05939resize.jpg

Shorty #491580 06/10/18 03:36 PM
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
One thing I noticed right away was the black arc band on the inner part of the tail fin that is both on your and my fish. That stood out different than any of the fingerling fish I am used to seeing.

I need to start carrying a jar or clear plastic bag in my UTV so I could put the small fish in it to get a better picture.

Last edited by snrub; 06/10/18 03:38 PM.

John

snrub #491594 06/10/18 07:35 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
snrub your fingerling is SMB due to the pattern of the caudal (tail) fin. Your SMbass are successfully doing their "thing".

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Bill Cody #491606 06/10/18 11:11 PM
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks Bill!

I had no idea they would reproduce that quickly.

I have no problem with them producing excess SMB numbers as I have at least a couple other ponds I can angle catch and move some SMB to add as bonus fish to the other ponds should they become too numerous in this pond.

John

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Threw the cast net in this RES pond trying to see if I have any RES recruitment. As the pond has dropped a few inches from dry weather I am seeing some abandoned nest sites.

After a dozen throws nothing except the two fish pictured below. Water is too clear and the fish too fast and widely dispersed. No RES.

But near some water primrose in shallow water I did snag a couple more SMB recruits with the cast net. They have grown enough since the last one I caught they would actually stay in the net. Well the bigger one anyway. The smaller second one was half way through the mesh when I picked it up.

Nice to know I have SMB and recruitment. I would really like to raise enough SMB in this pond to be able to transfer quite a few to my main pond and grow them out as bonus fish there. With LMB in the main pond they will not thrive like I hope they will here in the RES pond but they could still be fun to catch and might do ok there.

I took these two and put in my forage pond which also has SMB stocked.

Bad looking clouds came my way in a hurry so I headed for the house. Hope we get some much needed rain.

Attached Images
20180626_150813.jpg 20180626_151422.jpg 20180626_151757.jpg 20180626_151844.jpg
Last edited by snrub; 06/26/18 04:43 PM.

John

Good looking baby bronzes.

Sure wish my pond got that kind of wave action occassionally. I can have 40mph wind and the water barely ripples.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Been having some fun observing this pond.

Tossed in a minnow trap in shallow water over night and had two to three dozen intermediate size FHM along with a couple of SMB fingerlings. Good to know I still have FHM.

Watched a school of nervous FHM mid day today when the sun was direct over head in clear water. They were acting a little spooky when I noticed a few slightly larger fish in around them then noticed they were SMB fingerlings. The SMB were maybe 4" and not big enough to eat the FHM I saw but they were sure making the minnows nervous. Don't know if they were just herding the minnows around, picking off small ones that I could not see, or if they were just schooling with other fish but it was an observation I had not seen before.

The fingerling SMB are kind of funny to watch. I have lots of them. They often run in small groups of a pair to a half dozen. I'll throw my jig out in shallow water and watch them chase it right up to within 6" of the bank. If I let it set on the bottom then jiggle it or move it slightly they act like a bunch of kittens stalking a ball on a string. If I drag it through the water sometimes they will strike at it but their mouth is not big enough to get around the hook I was using. With a tiny hook I know I could catch one after another. I did actually catch one slightly over 4" and landed it to look at.

No luck catching any RES fingerlings with the cast net but I really have not tried at the correct time of day. Right before sunset in shallow water is best but I have tried it mid day. Have also not been able to catch any RES by hook and line after a few different days trying.

But I know the RES are there. Now that the summer water has cleared I can see a half dozen male RES on really large nests. The fish only look like 5 or 6" RES and the nests look huge for the fish size. I suspect the large nests were made by bigger RES males early during the first spawn. I'm guessing these guys are just maturing and getting big/old enough to nest. Every year I have seen late spawn RES relatively small males in shallow water.

Been tossing out some Optimal #2 starter around the edge of this pond along with some regular size feed too. Today I specifically did the starter separate so I could see if I could get any of the numerous SMB fingerlings to take it. I was able to witness a half dozen strikes by the fingerlings getting the small pellets. They do not go after it like FHM will but at least they are getting the idea.

I would encourage anyone to get a little bit of starter pellets and toss it in 6" to foot deep water around their ponds just to see what comes up to eat it. You can crush large pellets, but the small nice round starter pellets float for ages and they are just bite size for small fingerling fish.

I tried the same thing around my old pond because this year for the first time I am seeing LMB fingerlings in good numbers around it. Still none in the main pond but at least I am getting recruitment in my old pond. But the slightly larger LMB fingerlings just ignored the starter pellets. But the fingerling BG woofed it up.

Just some fun observing what is going on around my ponds.

John

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Great report. Thanks.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Been gone a couple weeks so was a little concerned my SMB recruitment fingerlings would be off feed as they have not been fed in that time. Threw a mixture of Optimal Starter #4 and Optimal BG Jr out and the fingerlings were hitting it right and left. Kind of fun watching them as they seemed to be picky about the size and or shape of pellet they hit. Best I could tell they have grown enough they were preferring the BG jr pellet size over the starter. I could see sometimes they would start for a pellet, veer off course only to choose a different one.

They seem to be relatively easy to catch. The fingerlings at least. They seem to be hungry and they seemed to have grown in the two weeks since I saw them last. Pictures below.

The largest fish I am unsure if it is a YOY that is a jumper and has really grown well or if it is one of the original stockers that is a runt (about 6"). All seemed to be healthy. I caught about ten and moved to my forage pond to be sure I still have some there. There seems to be an abundance of SMB recruitments but no sign of RES fingerlings. They may be there and I am just not seeing them. Need to try the cast net again.

Attached Images
20180729_174057.jpg 20180729_181328.jpg 20180729_173615.jpg
Last edited by snrub; 07/29/18 11:00 PM.

John

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
This spring I ask advice on adding GSH to this RES pond since it now also has SMB. A couple of you advised against it and I took that advice and did not add any at that time.

Till yesterday. I added about a dozen GSH raised in my forage pond ranging in size from 3" to 5". I'll probably add that many more in the next few days or maybe twice that many.

I have had GSH in my small 1/20th acre forage pond now for two or three years. The other fish in that pond are RES and some unwanted GSF along with some SMB that were added just last fall. I have seen no ill effects from the rather thick population of GSH that has been in that pond other than the FHM that were originally stocked are pretty much gone. But I expect they would have been gone even without the GSH addition. I had stocked a dozen GS from a bait store and they had reproduced like gangbusters. Have moved thousands of GS to other ponds from the small forage pond. So I have had what I consider success with GSH in with my RES and the RES still produce all the RES fingerlings I need (have also taken hundreds and hundreds, maybe thousands by now, of RES fingerlings out for other ponds).

I couldn't stand it any more. I wanted GSH in my RES pond. Here is my thinking.

The FHM are likely almost gone or will soon be. I no longer see schools of them along the banks or feeding on pellets like I did earlier in the year. The likely cause are the gangs of 4-5" SMB recruits I see cruising the shore lines. Pictures of some of them in the previous post. So while I am unsure of the reproduction and growth of the RES, the SMB have been doing great as far as reproduction. So with that many new SMB to feed I figure they need an additional forage source once the FHM are gone and a large SMB should be able to eat an adult GSH. If the GS work out as well in this one acre RES/SMB pond as they have in my 1/20th acre forage pond, I think they will be fine. With only a small number stocked and predation from the SMB and RES it should take a year or two for numbers to build so my thinking is the RES and SMB will be very well established before GSH numbers could get big enough to cause problems.

Just returned from the pond and saw several RES on beds again and dozens of SMG 4-6" long hitting the pellets well.

Last edited by snrub; 08/01/18 09:10 PM.

John

John,
I had missed all your pics of the SMB fry. Wow! Mine have been in for a few years. They are getting up around 14”, but I don’t think they are reproducing. I’ll maybe have to try a throw net one of these days. Do you throw it when your feeding?
Also you just mentioned stocking GS. I had to go to the acronym page because GS stumped me. Help a novice to understand. I’ve got schools and schools of GSH in my pond. I think the SMB are working them, but not knocking them numbers down much.
My FHM have become pretty scarce though.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I had the acronym wrong. I went back and edited my post and replaced GS with GSH. Thanks for pointing that out. Did not realize I had it wrong.

I have mostly been catching the SMB on hook and line with a 1/64 oz jig. Same as I use a lot for BG. I just have the rod set up for BG and decided to try it on the small SMB and it works pretty good. Not the right bait for larger ones likely.

Cast net performance is always best if you can concentrate the fish somehow. If the fish are attracted to feed it will get them more concentrated.

My SMB fingerlings are eating feed but they sure do it differently than BG. BG just keep going till the feed is gone. They will stuff themselves. My SMB are picky and finicky. They will eat a pellet or two or three, then just move on leaving pellets floating. Or at least at this stage in their life.

Last edited by snrub; 08/01/18 09:21 PM.

John

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Been waiting for the pond level to decrease and my energy level to increase to do a water level improvement to this pond. With rain a few days away in the forecast and the pond level a good foot below full pool because of the exceptionally hot dry weather the time had come. After watching the pond a year and considering the watershed area that fills the pond I decided I could safely maintain a higher water level on the existing dam (less freeboard space). I have done a similar exercise to three of my other ponds.

This pond has an 8" PVF overflow pipe. First step was to take the laser level and establish full pool level, dam height and emergency overflow height. I determined I could safely add 9" to the depth of the pond by installing a 90 degree elbo on the 8" overflow pipe. The vertical part of the elbo was cut down to about an inch above the top of the 8" pipe. This will give me about 9" additional water depth. I left the emergency overflow at the same level and at the new full pool level the water will be running about 4" over full pool through the overflow pipe when the emergency overflow is reached. So during heavy rain events under soil saturated conditions, the emergency overflow will really become more like just a normal earthen overflow and flow water. So the emergency overflow will likely get used once or twice a year. More normal rains will simply pass through the overflow pipe. I did cut the dam down in the emergency overflow area to make sure the flow area width was very wide and could handle the water coming out of both field terraces that flow into this pond from adjacent crop field. Wanted to make sure the dam would not breech during an exceptional rain event.

Pictures with descriptions below.

No one would hire me as a concrete contractor. But what I did will work. I dug down about two feet to where the clay was very hard and solid to form a base to hold the concrete block and then drove two T posts down into the bank an additional couple feed and embedded them into the concrete. Added some rebar also.

Attached Images
20180804_100407.jpg 20180804_100414.jpg 20180804_100440.jpg 20180804_151607.jpg 20180805_082406.jpg 20180805_113256.jpg
Last edited by snrub; 08/07/18 12:07 PM.

John

You going to try to retrieve all your shoreline gravel before the rains come or let the fish have it? ;-)

-Jason
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I actually have a pile sitting beside the pond to add more. That was put in to stop shore line erosion and I will add quite a bit more even higher up the bank now that the water will be higher. I have added piles of that size rock, some rock piles of fist size to half football size rock, and some road rock (ab3 we call it, 1" with fines all the way to ag lime) piles in the water for the fish.

So the rock you see will be for the fish and crawdads if any ever establish or if I can get some bought to add. They say crayfish are really good for SMB ponds and rock piles are really good for crayfish.

The fish nest pictured (with a RES on the nest) is made in some ab3 and larger rocks are just to the left in the picture.

I like rock piles and have added quite a few in both this pond and in my main 3 acre pond recently. Probably about 50 ton worth.

Attached Images
20180805_100223.jpg
Last edited by snrub; 08/07/18 01:01 PM.

John

T
T
Snrub, smb like rock piles that have the larger sized half football sized rock you speek of. we call it chunk rock and look for it along shorelines. It wont be long now, maybe 3 or 4 yrs when your smallies are good fighting sized fish. I don't care for eating them, or at least eating the size I normally catch in the 2 to 3 lb size, there is just not enough meat on them. But I sure do enjoy catching them. Wishing you the best. Oh! I would also like to have an excavator at my place. I might be like Bob L and wind up with 8 or ponds. smile

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Donatello - 03/28/24 07:20 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jludwig - 03/28/24 07:12 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??