Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
9 members (anthropic, Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, phinfan, jpsdad, Brett B, catscratch, jbird5986, Freg), 644 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#45903 11/13/03 01:02 PM
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
I don't know a darn thing about Blues, but I can relate a Channel cat story:

Went fishing with a buddy for bass but since I like catfish I kept the ones we caught. Caught 5 on minnows and had only a little cooler to put them in and ended up with all 5 of them stacked one on top of the other in a small cooler... they filled it right up with no room to move and little room for water. All were about 12-16" long and survived 6+ hours like this in the middle of summer... survived the transplant as well. So I have to give them a big thumbs-up for being hardy.

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
#45904 11/13/03 01:22 PM
N
newbee Offline OP
OP Offline
N
No, Brian H. I do like the fish and love to catch them in the lakes (Sam Rayburn, Toledo Bend) near by residence. I just don't see the advantages over the Channel Cats in a pond environment. The reasons that I listed in the above post have held true in my case. Maybe for others the outcome will be different.

#45905 11/13/03 02:57 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Well this is a very serious issue for me!!! I need to know what to do!! Where are the experts..Greg Bob Lusk, Bill Codey, if there is ever a time I needed you on a post it is now..Not stock these fish is like Bill Dance not Bass Fishing any more.

I have herd of these problems before, but it was every now and then...I knew you had to be carfull transporting them, but I thought after they were setteled in for a couple of years then they would be fine!
For what its worth I have caught both channels and Blues in public lakes, like Santee Cooper and other places, and even transported them to other lakes and ponds and they seemed to do all right, I know thats what the pay lakes around here do. They higher a proffesional to catch these big blues and flatheads and they put them in these 3 to 9 acre pay lakes and people catch and release them all the time..
I don't know guys, Newbee, and Dudley I have herd other people say the same things you have, but I have seen it the other way with success as well. What I need to do is figure out what the problems have been and find a solution so I can avoid killing my fish off. I am in the process of building a lake now..

#45906 11/13/03 06:16 PM
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
I wouldn't stock blues again, too many negatives when compared to channels. Sounds great when you learn that blues can grow to over one hundred pounds and channels to just thirty five. But what can be the appeal in having a hundred pound blue take the lure when it's attached to a twelve pound test line?

#45907 11/13/03 06:19 PM
J
J
This is an interesting thread, I have never before heard of or noticed a problem with blues dying after they are caught. When I was buying channels from Kens hatchery in georga there were a bunch of blues mixed in with them. When my dad or I catch a little catfish we toss it into the cage with the stripers to moniter thier growth and to see how they do in there. It may be because they were all smaller than 18", but I never had a single blue die. They did every bit as well as the channels. Another note is that the blues have been gorging themselves to no end on pellets and growing aproxamatly twice as fast as the channels from the day they were put in. One was 171%. And big_pond, keep in mind that even IF blues don't grow any faster (which deosn't seem to be the case in my pond) they still live to great old ages and are far more likely to reach 30+ LBS.
I'm nowhere near being an expert, but I hope I could help

-Scott

Take great care of it, or let someone else have it.
#45908 11/13/03 08:40 PM
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Part of the fun of having a pond is the latitude for experimentation. Why not stock both blues and channels, Big_Pond? Not too many things that you can have both ways, so take advantage of this.

#45909 11/13/03 09:10 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
jbrokey, this is real encouraging I am deffinetly going to stock blues I would not care if they were 5 times the price of channels..But I am concerned about this robustness issue, I need to learn as much as I can from you guys, and quit guessing.....
You know I wonder if there is not several different strains of these fish!!?? I always here of people in South Carolina Reffer to the blues as somthing called "Arakensaw Blue catfish" this must be a different strain of blue, some what like the copernose and native bluegill, F1 bass and northern bass. There has to be some sort of genetic differances in these fish because ther is clearly two diffrent sides to this story!
Also there are probably a number of other factors that play in this as well such as: Climate, water chemistry...ect.
Most of the pros around here spend most of their time studing Bass and Bluegill, and don't have time for big cats. I willing to bet there is a wealth of knoledge out there that we don't know yet.
One thing that does strike is that I did notices that jbrockey was much further north than Dudley or Newbee, this could be a clue...who knows.
I want to express my thanks to all you for sharing your experiances. Hopefully we can get more examples and gather more data and draw a decent hypothisis into this is occuring.....

#45910 11/14/03 11:02 AM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I'll throw in a little cat tail.

On one night in August me and a couple of buddies were out top water fishing at about 11pm. My buddy toi my right landed the first blue. Weighed in at 13lbs. About 3 minutes later I caught one. Broke the line. About a minute after that my buddy to the left landed one. As we struggled with lights in thigh high water we were about to land him when he straightened the snap hook. He was much bigger than the first one.

Mind you this was on top water lures.

I haven't seen a difference in the survival of Blues. If they require more oxygen then they would provide me with a good safety measure.

#45911 11/14/03 11:09 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Texas715, do you have these fish stocked in your lake? what was the stocking ratios? How big is your lake? what else do you have stocked besides cats ?

#45912 11/14/03 12:59 PM
N
newbee Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hey Big_Pond, I would go for it. Maybe my experience had something to do with what I did. I can't think of what that might be, as I have not lost any other species of fish.

My points that i have made were from my perspective and not intended for you take as the gospel. As far as me stocking blues in the future, it will not happen. But this is because, to me there is little advantage to putting both species in such a small pond. I am getting tremendous growth rates from the Channels and also want good growth rates from the bass and the blue gill. Adding another predator to the mix was probably not the smartest move on my part.

As for you and what you want, only you know. I say go for and let all of us know what happens. Good Luck!! By the way I just got the picture developed and will be posting it the weekend so stand by.

#45913 11/14/03 10:11 PM
Z
Z
He guys! Have not been around lately. I have lots of work to do. I had my dam get washed out about 3/5 of the way down. We had 16 inches of rain in about 4 hours. The 30 acre lake was about 2ft over the dam. Luckly i had grass growing on it. Well I see we are talking catfish growth here. The differance in growth here seems what your pond has the most of for forage. If the blue cats are growing faster there is proubly a good amount of baitfish in your pond. The bluecat is a hunter be nature. They only forage when they are out of normal food such as shad and perch. If the channel cats are growing faster than the blue the baitfish are at low numbers. Channels are lazy by nature and like to take the easy road by eating pellets. I have found out another thing. Young blues and channels seem to love fathead and mosquitofish. I catch channels and blues up 2 pounds on 2 inch long mosquitofish. I think if you want a good pond for blues and channels you need to feed pellets for the channels, have a good supply of fatheads in the pond before you stock the catfish, bluegill, and cover so the catfish have somewhere to rest. Also if you can put in threadfin shad. Do not let them be the only food source because in a cold snap they are gone. If you just want channels in a pond, stock early with fatheads and pellet feed them. If you want just blues i recommend stock fatheads early, put in threadfin (where you can), and bluegill. This is a great topic and alot of info is being shared. I like to say i had my first channel cat spawn since i have stocked the lake. The channels are from 3inches to 7inches long right now. I caught a 3inch long one in my castnet today. I really think these smaller ones washed in from another tank when it flooded because i caught 12inch bluecat today fishing. I have also noticed small bass in the 8 inch range. Since the rain i had a small spawn of threadfins but i think they have been hit hard by the crappie and small bass. I just hope none of my big blues swam away.

Fight'n Texas aggie class of 09!
#45914 11/14/03 11:17 PM
Z
Z
I forgot to put something on survival of the fish. Yes channels can live longer in low oxygen waters. In my pond i cant tell you the survival rates blues to channels because i have caught about the same amount of blues and channels. Channels proubly survive the best do to they can adapt to different food better than blues.

#45915 11/15/03 01:16 AM
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
big_pond, it's possible that after experiencing the trauma of being caught the blues sought the security of deeper water where less oxygen was available and died as a consequence. They might not be smart enough to move to an oxygenated level but instead just hide out in low oxygen water and suffocate there.

#45916 11/15/03 08:11 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Zach, 16 inches of rain in 4 hours? Where are you? I haven't 16 inches of rain in the last 2 years.

#45917 11/15/03 10:19 AM
J
J
I just had another thought. Eventhough all catfish (including blues) tend to be far hardier than other sportfish and more adapable to all sorts of water quality, blues tend to prefer clear water. If the water is exeptionaly murky, mabie the channels were stressed by it to a lesser extent than the blues. Not that blues can't thrive well in standard pond water, but mabie that little factor can make a difference when added to the stress of being caught. who knows?
Another thing that I have noticed is that I catch blues just as often as channels when fishing with livers and stinkbaits. And it's equaly as common for me to catch channels as it is blues when fishing with crankbaits for bass. Mabie it's because they're still about 1Lb, mabie it's just strange luck or mabie I'm not keeping a close enough eye on them, but I havn't observed any noticeable difference between the predatory nature of my blues and my channels.
While I'm on the subject, I thought of someting else too (keep in mind that I'm just brainstorming here). Mabie the difference in growth rate had somthing to do with me feeding them high protien sinking feed, which the catfish all seemed to like alot. It may be that with the convenience of just swiming up to the pile of feed and sucking it down to thier hearts delight that they would allow themselves to get fuller than usual and that maibie the blues just have bigger stomachs than the channels. The high protien (45%) and high fish meal (15%) may have also been a factor. I heard alot of people say that the reason that you use 38% feed for channel cat aquaculture is that they really don't benifit much more from the higher protien feed. I have also read Bob Lusk saying that in most situations that blues and channels will have basicly the same diet, except when there is a shortage of thier prefered food channels will resort to eating vegitation and blues never will. Mabie a channel's ability to obtain nutrition from plant matter gives them a better ablility to grow well on low protien food and a blue's strictly carnivorous diet gives them a better ability to assimilate the full protien content of high protien feeds.
That ended up being alot longer than I had planned on and considering how many times I used the word "maibe" I may or may not be completly off track on all counts. but who knows?

-Scott

Take great care of it, or let someone else have it.
#45918 11/15/03 02:18 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
jbrokey, The first blues I harvested was early spring and it had brushy pondweed in it's stomach.
I don't know.
big pond, you asked about stocking rates. I guess it depends on how many blues you want eating your bass. You never said where youre from. Blues are open water fish and are going to need open water forage like shad to grow the best.
Did you ever do a search on blues? You need to. Most state fisheries departments have the basic habits, diets, lifespans, etc.. You also need to know habits to be able to catch them. Did you raead the posts on redear and how some stocked them and never saw them again? Others wrote back and said you have to fish near the bottom.

#45919 11/15/03 04:02 PM
Z
Z
I am in South Texas. Why we had that much rain in a small period of time is because they cloud seeded a thunderstorm. When it died out, A norther blew in, gave the storm more energy and it just pored for that amount of time. It was pretty scary time and do not want it to happen again.

#45920 11/16/03 11:52 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Greeting Fellows!
Was out of town this weekend, and was not at a computer. Zach! Glad to see your back! was getting worried. I real appritiate (spelling) all the hard work that is going into this research it's really a good topic!

Zach I totally agree with you infact I used your fishery as an example. I know Blues tended to be mor like bass in nature when it comes to food. Here is a good example: We had two 1 acre ponds pond A and pond B. Both had F1 LMB in them. Pond A the LMB were "trained" to eat strickly pelleted fish food, while pond B The bass ate the shad every day. Now which do you supposed has healther fish? I would think the pond where the bass were eating the shad! I think this is sort of what is happening with the blues here on the growth rates, and maybe even on there survivle.
Zach big question here, Do you practice catch and release with you blues in your pond? If so Are you fish dying like ever body else's?

Dudley, that is a very good point this is very possible. If so, I am going to have to be carefull because the deepest part of my lake is going to be around 27 feet deep! In the process of building the lake now I need to take precaution..

jbrocker, I wonder if blues are more hardier than bass an bluegill thats a good question? They sould be they are in the catfish family. Also what kind of lake do you have? how deep is it? What other fish do you have? How big and old are the two cats, in general?
I also wonder if Flatheads have this same problem?

BrianH, I have done a TON...of research on the web I go on there just about everday! looking for specific info on raising bluecats in ponds and lakes..I find almost nothing. Find a ton of stuff on channles of course, but very littel on blues.

One of the thing I mentioned was the fact that there could be two different strains of the fish! I tell you when I go fishing in the Santee Cooper lakes in South Carolina. Every body local calls the 'Arkensaw Blue cats', I really think there is somthing to this...Before I got on this website, if you asked about a larg mouth bass, I would have told you there was only one type out. I had no idea there was a northern strain and a F1 strain, the same with natvie and copper nose bluegill. People seem to not do alot of research and studdy on these type of fish. I think there is alot more info outhere than we know and this could be one of those bits of info.

We are speculating on alot of this info but let me tell you, between low oxygen, murcky water, water chemistry, poor diet, and possibly poor genetics, there has to be a logical explination for these vast differances in survivle rates! I wonder if the growth rates are tied in with this "released survivle", new name for this proplem..

Well I know I wrote allot here but I think, well for me any ways, this is the most important topic ever on this site! By the way some on ask where I am from, I live in the northeast Atlanta area...

#45921 11/16/03 04:41 PM
Z
Z
Yes i do practice catch and release. That is all what i do. Knock on wood, i have not found any dead fish that i caught. I may not loose many fish when i catch and release because i hardly ever take the fish out of the water. I never let the fish touch the bank or the bottom of the boat. This takes the protective slime off the fish. When the fish is hooked in the throat i just cut the line. The acid in the fish stomach will digest the hook not harming the fish. i know this is true because i caught a bass in a tank and it broke my line. Them a day or 2 later i went fishing again and reel a bass in and it had the broken line and bait in its throat. ALso a barbless hook helps on not destroying a fishes mouth. I dont use treble hooks either. I only use them on lures. The main thing that helps a fish survive catch and release is to have the fish back and swimming on its own in less than 25 seconds. This gives the fish the less amount of stress. Something that sounds weird is that i feed my catfish shad once i get the hook out. I put a shad in their mouths and they suck them right in! I have fed as many as five 3inch shads to a 1 pound cat! They even burp when they are full! When they burp i have seem what the fish have been eaten. I usally see half digest perch come up. Anyway glad to be back!

#45922 11/16/03 05:55 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
That may be a new approach to raising catfish;; teaching them to bite on hooks to then get fed fish. WOW!
Do you think these cats retain the hand fed shad or later regurgitate them?

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
#45923 11/16/03 06:29 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Here's one thing I know....there are several big paylakes where I live in Atlanta. They have large Blues, Channels and flatheads, the ponds are any where between 2 to 12 acres in size. They get these fish from big waters from the surounding areas such as: Santee Copper, the Tennessee river, and other parts in south GA. The pond owner pays pretty decent money to have a professinal go out and catch these big fish and then go and stock them in their pay ponds.
Now people have big turnaments where they will just sit out all day long and catch these fish, when the catch them they then release them back into the pond. So there must be somthing to this because if they didn't they would loose money..

#45924 11/16/03 08:14 PM
Z
Z
I have never seen them do it but they may do it later on.

#45925 11/17/03 02:33 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Once I caught a large bunch of branchaes and line in a river. In that bunch was a stringer with a small skinny channel cat on it. I put a minnow in its mouth and it swallowed it right down. I'm not sure if they keep it though because I know if you stress them out much at all they will regergitate (sp).

#45926 11/17/03 02:59 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
This is a new one on me...I never thought that after a fish was caught or in captivity it would eat while in your hand, I thought iwould be way to stress to do any thing. I think when I was younger, I tried this my self by putting fish in buckets, after caught, and adding maybe pieces of liver or nighte-crawlers and they NEVER ate any of this... this is real news to me that you all can feed them from your hand!!...any more issuse or thoughts on the problem at hand?

#45927 11/17/03 05:29 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
big_pond,

The blues were in there when I bought the place. Don't know who many for sure but I know I have seen about 18. My pond is 25ac. I have LMB, threadfin shad, Tilapia, Bluegill, crawfish, one spotted gar that I have seen, and some carp. With more turtles than I can shake a stick, or a .22, at.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:39 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails