Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
RER Offline
R
If you are soaking them in salt water you are basically brining them.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Keith, "I'm pretty stocked up" good for you and friends and family. I'm glad your harvesting so much of diligent effort. Keep at it till it gets too cold which will be soon. I've stated before you need to beat the bushes and find some ice fishermen. Better strangers help you catch them out vs leaving them for the crumlord. also maybe round up some appropriate sized traps for early next spring.
Keep on rockin!!

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Keith, "I'm pretty stocked up" good for you and friends and family. I'm glad your harvesting so much of diligent effort. Keep at it till it gets too cold which will be soon. I've stated before you need to beat the bushes and find some ice fishermen. Better strangers help you catch them out vs leaving them for the crumlord. also maybe round up some appropriate sized traps for early next spring.
Keep on rockin!!

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Keep at it till it gets too cold which will be soon.

Bob-O, I wish I could. Since pulling the aeration system in early September they haven't been feeding and it hasn't been fishable due to the increasing algae problem. Maybe it will clear up enough to cull some more but I'll just have to see. I'm also hoping to be out of here before the dead of winter, even if it's somewhere temporary until I find the right place.

And to keep with Oldgeekinnc's original question on this thread, I wonder how the taste would be affected with the fish coming out of this BOW? Heck, I'm not even sure how they can swim in it!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Wow, that's amazing what's happened to the water. I haven't added aeration yet, but have t needed to. My water is very clear right now. With just a small amount of FA on the banks.
By the way, if you would not mind, could you give me a quick description on your filleting technique for BG? My HBG are getting big enough to eat. I caught three or four yesterday that were pretty good sized. I was keeping the YP, so I threw the HBG back. Like I mentioned earlier, my attempts to clean the HBG were so weak, I just can't bring myself to try and clean any more. Too wasteful.
Hope you don't mind. thanks,
Jeff

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Jeff, here's how my grandmother cleaned (and cooked) bluegills.

Scale. Remove head and guts. Coat with seasoned flour (black pepper to taste was mixed with the flour and a bit of salt). Fry in Crisco. Peel off skin and pull out fins, peel meat away from skeleton. Eat.

She (and I) can have a fish skeleton that looks like one in the kids cartoons.

If I filleted them she would say that I was wasting too much meat.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
D
The best tasting fish is killed by hypothermia on ice. The blood leaves the meat to the organs to preserve the fishes life. When cleaned up after this happens there is next to no blood in the meat. Leaving it better tasting and flaky.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
S
S
Originally Posted By: esshup

Scale. Remove head and guts. Coat with seasoned flour (black pepper to taste was mixed with the flour and a bit of salt). Fry in Crisco. Peel off skin and pull out fins, peel meat away from skeleton. Eat.

Esshup I ordered pescado frito in Rio Lagartos, Mexico once and it was prepared just like that (except they likely used lard instead of Crisco). Only the head was left on. Fish was big enough it hung off the plate.

Was very good, but I did not eat the eyes. eek

Last edited by snrub; 10/23/16 03:45 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
S
S
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
The best tasting fish is killed by hypothermia on ice. The blood leaves the meat to the organs to preserve the fishes life. When cleaned up after this happens there is next to no blood in the meat. Leaving it better tasting and flaky.

Cheers Don.

Dono once we read about that here on PBF and tried it, that is about the only way we clean fish now. I cleaned two CC that way last night. Not only do they clean easier that way, but on larger CC I do not have to worry about getting them killed so they do not squirm around.

We fortunately have an ice machine in our nearby office, so that makes it easy to source the ice. Having the ice on hand could be a sticking point for some to use the method. We have an old cooler dedicated for fish cleaning, fill it half full of ice with a tablespoon of salt (to further lower the temperature) and add enough water so the fish will float. Dump em in and let them sit for at least an hour and more like a couple hours if the fish are big (3# CC) or numerous. I usually throw a batch in the cooler that I have caught previously and are in the holding pen and let them cool while I am fishing. Then clean them at the fish cleaning station on our dock. That is the best way my wife and I have found.

I'm still not very good at it and slow, but she does pretty good. I'm learning though.

John

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: esshup

That's how we did it when I was a kid also. My mother still likes them prepared that way. I filet what we eat here, but fair warning, I prefer to filet our bluegills while still alive. I will not freeze fish, and nothing fresher than consuming them right after catching. Matter of fact, if a fish dies before I filet it, it gets tossed.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
snrub, I also ate fried fish in Rio Lagartos way back in '88. It was then called Pescado entero grande (whole big fish), and yes, for a fact, it was deep fried whole in manteca, which made it taste So Good! Every time we ordered it we got a fish hanging over both ends of a long oval plate. We sought out this dish throughout the Yucatan, Belize, and Guatemala. Invariably the fish served was mullet, locally referred to as Liseta.
We took a panga tour down the Rio, mainly for bird watching. Nearly every bird our guide pointed out was described as muy sabroso! He laughingly insisted the roseate spoonbills were included in that sabroso bunch. Spoonbills probably taste worse than mergansers that have been gorging on carp.

S
S
We also took a boat trip down the river to watch the Flamingos. Funny thing was, it was quite a long boat ride (which was fine) but about a quarter mile before the birds we passed under a small bridge that we had driven across! LOL We only saw a few flamingos there, but thousands at Celestun.

We spent about 7 or 8 years traveling the Yucatan. Usually would spend a week to two diving and on the beach and a week or two driving around. Cheapest hotel we ever stayed in was at Peto and it was $5 a night and worth every penny but not one more! Almost decided to sleep in the car in the enclosed parking lot instead of the bed.

Aukumal was our favorite beach location for years then later Puerto Morelos. In later years we would make one trip in the summer and one in the winter.

We were into Mayan ruins back then.

Last edited by snrub; 10/23/16 11:19 PM.

John

7 or 8 visits! Nice. We had three weeks to see Tikal, Tulum, Tizimin, several other ruins, stay on Cay Caulker in Belize, some other spots.

We snorkeled ( We weren't certified at the time) on Cozumel, the reef off Belize, and in a cenote recommended for its fishes. Guess what the fish were-black bullheads and green sunfish. Yikes. Neither possibly native to the Yucatan. "They're everywhere; they're everywhere!"

L
L
Have a cousin that is a "big time" chef. He told me to mix whatever breading I use with 50% corn starch. It will make a beautiful crispy breading and helps the breading not absorb the oil. He learned it from a Asian chef.

J
J
I waste a lot of meat trying to fillet BG or RES. My wife is better at hand finesse tasks and does somewhat better. I really prefer the "remove head, entrails, and scale" for BG or RES under 8 inches.

S
S
Originally Posted By: oldgeekinnc
How does feeding BG commercial feed affect the taste/texture? My only comparison is farmed vs. wild caught catfish. In my opinion wild caught is superior. Farmed is generally softer in texture and more bland. Don't how much that has to do with the processing.

That is the way I want fish to taste. Bland. I want to add the flavor of my desire in the coating.

Otherwise it is chicken, pork or beef for me.

I never was all that fond of CC till we started raising our own (on commercial feed). White, flaky, mild flesh. Just the way I like it. If not for the smaller flakes in the BG, I don't see that much taste difference between our CC and BG and cut up with the same size chunks and coating would be hard pressed to tell the difference without looking at flake size.

Last edited by snrub; 03/30/17 06:43 PM.

John

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??