Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ronald Williams, Jezreel, Fastback, IndianaMatt, Reedeaux
16130 Registered Users
Forum Stats
16131 Members
36 Forums
36961 Topics
502828 Posts

Max Online: 1383 @ 08/09/19 04:50 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24033
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19920
Dave Davidson1 13982
Bill Cody 12889
Who's Online
6 registered (TGW1, Dave Davidson1, wmfamily, Paul FNG, NEDOC, wbuffetjr), 72 Guests and 156 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#457668 - 10/15/16 11:24 AM Lime observation
peachgrower Offline

Loc: Nashville, AR
Thought I would share this. Most of you have seen my posts in the water chemistry forum about adding lime and my alkalinity/pH. I put 8 tons of lime out a week and a half ago. We got our first rain in a month the past couple of days.

In the past every time it rained, my fish would go off of feed for 3-4 days. We got around 1.5" over two days. Not much, pond didn't come up but a few inches. The ground was very dry, soaked it up quickly. But went to feed yesterday and it looks like I have a bloom. I have a green tinge to the water that I have not seen before. Is it possible this late in the year to get a bloom? Very nice color.

What I really saw that I was proud of, was frisky fish. Normally after a rain my pH would swing. I didn't check it, but from observation it didn't swing this time. The fish were jumping out to get the optimal. Probably the friskiest I have ever seen them before. With the color they could not see me as well I guess. When I would feed before I would have to walk off before they would start really hitting. This time they were hitting within 5 feet of me with no hesitation. I do not know if the lime could have effected it that quick or not. I was proud to see the fish not come off feed and get lathargic like they normally did after a rain. If anything this is a good example of what lime can do for your fish when you have a low alkalinity and get pH swings after rains. Lots of stress I guess. My pH would be in the 8's then swing to mid to high 5's after a raing.

Thanks guys for all your help!! Looks like we are on the right track!!

#457669 - 10/15/16 11:29 AM Re: Lime observation [Re: peachgrower]
ewest Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

Lunker

Loc: Miss.
Yes what you described is possible especially with warm temps. What you describe is what good water quality can create. All one needs to do is find the limiting factor and fix it.

#457676 - 10/15/16 01:04 PM Re: Lime observation [Re: peachgrower]
peachgrower Offline

Loc: Nashville, AR
Thanks ewest, let me ask you this. Since I have gotten what a I believe to be a bloom. Will zooplankton begin??...or are they there already and now with the bloom they will flourish?? Just wondering how long it takes them to take advantage. I have had a huge late spawn of something...I'm hoping BG and not GSF...but with the bloom would like to know that the zooplankton will quickly catch up.

Thanks again!! To see these things come together then see the effects on your fish is amazing. Not near fishing time..but this is just as much fun I think!

#457678 - 10/15/16 02:37 PM Re: Lime observation [Re: peachgrower]
ewest Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

Lunker

Loc: Miss.
Yes that is what a plankton bloom is (generic term). See this thread and Bill's comments. It should help but how long it lasts is a guess. Depends on many things like type of plankton species , water temps , weather etc. Good thing is its happening and the fish are gonna eat.

Plankton types thread

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=320793&page=1

Edited by ewest (10/15/16 02:46 PM)

Today's Birthdays
Ed Holland, elbafishing, Grampa G, Rick O
Recent Posts
Intelligent and persistent GBH!
by Dave Davidson1
22 minutes 4 seconds ago
Wetland/forage pond and mosquito management
by Dave Davidson1
24 minutes 23 seconds ago