Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: RC51

Esshup coming from you who sells fish I understand your statement for sure but the average guy with a pond is that really his biggest worry.. I wouldn't think so... a few days without food if something went wrong wouldn't hurt my fish heck I could go a week or 2, but like I said I only supplement feed I don't want my fish dependent on my fish food.

RC, it all depends on the individual pond owners goals. I have clients that don't feed at all and never will, others that hand feed, others still yet that have feeders.

If you want to take fish out of the pond to eat, feeding them will allow them to grow faster, and can "turn" inventory faster from pond to table.

RC, you are a DIY guy. Think about the guys that aren't handy like you, but want to feed the fish, and they might not live at the pond. So they buy a feeder, have a company set it up for them, and who do they call when it doesn't work? Who would that person call to fix it, and would they expect it to be fixed for free? Every trip to a pond costs $$, and I'd be willing to bet that because it's under warranty the pond owner would expect the labor to be free too. It wouldn't take but a trip or two to a pond to chew up any profit made on the feeder, and then what? Will the customer be mad at you for selling a feeder that doesn't work 100% of the time? What if the feeder let water into the food? Who eats the cost of the food?

There are many reasons why I sell TH feeders. wink I like TJ also have a couple of feeders that I have here that don't work reliably, so they aren't in the store.....

Esshup sorry was gone all weekend. I didn't mean anything harsh to anyone who sells them or buys them. I would love to have one!! Just not in my budget and I am sure many others. They are the Ferrari's of feeders no doubt. Yes I am a DIY kinda guy I guess, but more so because I have to be not because I want to be... If that makes sense. I mean I like doing things and all but sometimes it would be nice to just be able to say the heck with it and buy it!! I don't have that luxury very often. frown Esshup never said this but just to be clear by no means am I downing the product or people who sell them. Esshup if they weren't any good I know you wouldn't have them to sell. Sometimes it's just about the money unfortunately.

RC

Last edited by RC51; 10/10/16 12:31 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
If you can keep a cheaper model running for a fraction of the price, that's a great option. Since I lack the DIY skills and time to do what you do, I get to dig deep and shell out the bills.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
B
Saving my shekels for a TH feeder in the spring....definitely pricey but from the reviews on this site and others I am convinced they are very dependable and the best available. Our BOWs are an hour away from home....I need low maintenance and something I can count on. BM61.

Lunker
Lunker
Good scenario for the TH reliability, you'll be happy.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

OP Offline
That's the same issue I face. 90+ miles to the pond. Sometimes it's two weeks between visits. Nothing more frustrating than finding the feed at the exact same level in the feeder as it was two weeks ago.. Then find some mold growing in the feed where water has invaded.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
B
B
I bought TH and have been pleased with it, but it did leak at the seam and got the food wet. I called TH and they sent me some caulk and I caulked the seam and hasn't leaked since. BUT they too can leak. Feeder has been going off since the end of February, and no other issues. Directional feeder works great for feeding fish, it is easy to fill, easy timer to program. I wished it had a few more feed times, but it has 9 and I can make that work. Timer has never failed to go off.

I looked for several months and never found a used one, but good luck, there has to be a few out there.

Last edited by BrianL; 10/11/16 03:04 PM.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I am a bit confused about the water getting into your feeder issue. I have Never had that happen with mine and I don't see how it can.... It's 2 pieces yes but with rubber seal and like 15 screws to seal it with and the middle overlaps to the outside and a cover that overlaps an inch with a snap clip you can even put a lock on if you want... I too live 90 some miles from my land at the moment and have had great success with this feeder. Heck if they didn't work when you were not there Remington and Wild Game Innovations would not make them for deer feeders. I get it if you don't want to go through the work to DIY thats fine each to his own but the possible issues/problems some of yall are worrying about just don't happen that frequently.... Maybe I'm just lucky I guess. Good Luck Setter Guy...

RC

Last edited by RC51; 10/11/16 03:39 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
B
B
Originally Posted By: RC51
I am a bit confused about the water getting into your feeder issue. I have Never had that happen with mine and I don't see how it can.... It's 2 pieces yes but with rubber seal and like 15 screws to seal it with and the middle overlaps to the outside and a cover that overlaps an inch with a snap clip you can even put a lock on if you want... I too live 90 some miles from my land at the moment and have had great success with this feeder. Heck if they didn't work when you were not there Remington and Wild Game Innovations would not make them for deer feeders. I get it if you don't want to go through the work to DIY thats fine each to his own but the possible issues/problems some of yall are worrying about just don't happen that frequently.... Maybe I'm just lucky I guess. Good Luck Setter Guy...

RC

It was coming in around a rivet or the outside seam on the out feeder housing. I caulked the entire vertical seam and each rivet along that seam and it stopped. It was leaking right where the inside funnel starts.

Last edited by BrianL; 10/11/16 05:13 PM.

Trophy Hunter feeder.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Well even TH feeders aren't perfect hehe, no feeder is. That's another nice thing about my hopper. All plastic no ridged corners or rivets.... Only way my hopper would leak is if a woodpecker put a hole in it... LOL....

Sorry you had that issue on such an expensive unit. At least you got it fixed!!

RC

T
T
I have 3 of the large TH fish feeders and all three have some water seepage into the feed storage area. All of them have this around the feed view windows. it's not bad and maybe it only happens when we get the large rain events we have had the past couple of yrs. I sometimes see this when the hopper is low and will see some clumping and mold where the feed is stuck to the side of the hopper at or below the view window. I don't worry about it and consider it minimal amount of water. But they all do it.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
P
P
Guess I'm lucky my TH fish feeder hasn't leaked yet. The TH deer feeder is a different story tho.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
No leakage in my TH feeder but it is only about one year ole

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Once again just want to make sure no one thinks I am bashing TH they are by far the best feeders out there for their intention. My feeder was not intended for fish. LOL, but if I see a way to make something work I kinda have to try it. LOL I'm OCD that way. smile Here is a quick look at my feeder in action a quick test run for those who may want to know how well it throws food. I am using AM 600. It actually does even better with mixed smaller stuff in with the AM600. I put about 100 to 125 lbs in the hopper with no floating problems at all. Course this was in mid March so fish were not feeding the best yet but there were starting for sure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWRrifZrRHE

RC

Last edited by RC51; 10/12/16 09:39 AM.

I'm probably going to go RC's route. I like diy stuff too. I do not nor will have the extra money to spend on a TH. I have the catalog and BOY do I want one...but I have to many other projects that have to be done. I'm hand feeding now, so anything would be better than that. I'm on my pond daily...if only to feed, so checking is not a problem, pond is about 100 yards away from house. I have two older deer feeder hoppers that are plastic. May end up getting a TH motor kit though. Although the wild game innovations one at walmart might be the way to go. If I have problems you take it back to walmart and get a replacement most of the time. At less than $50 I could replace 2 1/2 of them for the price of the one TH kit. Although it will not be the quality...probably won't fling feed so far either. I'm going to the 360 route like RC and float it. Just think its pretty cool myself. Would I get a TH if I had the money...you bet!!! But its nice that we have options and ways around it so you can even feed on a budget. More money goes to buying the feed that way. lol

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I think that's a great idea. I'm thinking the same thing on a forage pond that is 3/4 mile from the house. I'm afraid that an expensive feeder back there just might not be there when I got back.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I'm curious as to why anything is better than hand feeding in this situation?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Well I made my setup because I wasn't around my pond all the time. If I was there every day I very much enjoy grabbing a big red solo cup full of food and slinging it!! I would probably do a lot more of that for sure!!

RC

My problem is being there same time everyday. I work two jobs and have fours kids and its hard to plan to be there all the time. Will I still hand feed some? Oh yeah!! Its the best. Mine is only for feeding time. Hard to get them on a schedule when you feed up to a couple hours different everyday. lol

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Tony, I hand feed everytime I get there. But, it's 70 miles from home.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
B
Hand feeding is great, but with a feeder it starts looking like a piranha feeding frenzy. I don't think you could get them to do that hand feeding unless you were very consistent with day and time.

My pond is 50 yards from my front door, and I don't think I would or could do it that consistent. Too many things going on, and that feeder is there feeding every morning, noon, and afternoon.

Last edited by BrianL; 10/13/16 12:04 PM.

Trophy Hunter feeder.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
True, but does that feeder know when the wind is blowing, and adjust it's broadcast pattern to compensate? Does it read the fishes response to the feed, and adjust the amount accordingly? Can it record the numbers, sizes, and species present to assist you in your management strategy?

I get that feeders are sometimes necessary, I just don't think they are an automatic purchase for those who live at their ponds. I have always fed my ponds by hand, and have no desire to automate. My fish boil the water when I feed, and I consider feeding time to be my chance to have eyes on the pond. I make time for it happen, just like I make time to spend with my family, go to work, etc. It's that important.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I think this comes clearly under the, "Different Strokes for Different Folks" theory,

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
B
B
I agree with you Bing.

As far as wind, I throw in nine 8-10 second burst(7.2- 9.0 oz of feed per throw). It is gone before wind can have any effect.

No need to adjusting feed, they eat more than I can afford to give them now, 4-5#/day plus what I hand feed.

I am standing beside it 90% of the time in the afternoon, so still get to see the fish almost daily. I do add some hand feed in the afternoon, when I'm there. I am rarely around pond to see the morning or noon feeding, but sometimes watch out the window in the morning while having my morning coffee grin . This is my first year, so not sure how fast they will stop feeding as temps decrease, but will adjust feed times as needed. Even with a feeder, it can still be very hands on.

Last edited by BrianL; 10/13/16 02:49 PM.

Trophy Hunter feeder.
Lunker
Lunker
Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I agree with Bing also, however I have wondered for some time if we are maybe a little quick with our pro-feeder stance. I have read threads directed at new or newer members where "getting a feeder setup" is recommended as being very near a necessity...at least that's how I interpret such posts.

Certainly there are variables and circumstances that lend themselves well to having a feeder. One's goals for the BOW, size of the BOW, time available to feed, physical limitations, and probably a host of others all come into play. If a feeder is desired for any reason, including simply that you want one, great.....they are cool to watch, and will put weight on your fish.

But to imply that feeders are necessary for growing big fish, isn't true. I feed by hand, once a day. And I feel very optimistic that I have two pound bluegills swimming in my water right now.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??