Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 728 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Anyone have a old one you don't need?
Moderators, I am sorry if this type post is not allowed. I assume it will be deleted promptly, if so.
I'm giving up on my old feeder. I'd be happy to give it to you as part of a trade..
If not let me know if you've got an old TH you'd be willing to sell.
Thanks,
Jeff

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
OP Offline
whistle whistle

RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
Otter attack in 2023
SetterGuy, they're tough to find. Occasionally I'll see one on CL or Texas Hunting forum, but they go really quick. You may keep an eye out for their deer corn slingers too. Most use the same throwers as the fish feeders.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 10/05/16 11:42 AM.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: SetterGuy
Anyone have a old one you don't need?
Moderators, I am sorry if this type post is not allowed. I assume it will be deleted promptly, if so.
I'm giving up on my old feeder. I'd be happy to give it to you as part of a trade..
If not let me know if you've got an old TH you'd be willing to sell.
Thanks,
Jeff

If you want to gamble some more, there IS a way to modify the connections on a TH fish feeder timer to work with the AquaPro feeders. This entails cutting and splicing wires from the TH timer and the feeder, which voids the TH timer warranty. Timers are around $150

I've never seen a used TH feeder here in the upper Midwest.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
I'm going to end up buying a new one.. Before I pulled the trigger, I thought I'd at least ask.. wink

Otter attack in 2023
P
P
I have one and don't think that you will regret getting one. Call around and sometimes you can get a deal on one at hunting shows. That's where I got mine.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Way over priced as far as I'm concerned. Sorry I know there great and all but the price tag on them things is ridiculous..... just to throw food. LOL....

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
SetterGuy, I don't think you'll regret the purchase one bit.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 10/06/16 10:46 AM. Reason: ADHD

AL

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I finally broke down and bought one. And, NO regrets. The battery only lasted about 6 months but getting a good battery these days is a character builder.

OTOH, RC has thrown feed for quite a while with his set up.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Well granted mine is a bit more work and you can't just mount it on the dock.... but I love the ability to move it around some. Or in or out depending on water level. It works for me and so does the price. smile

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: RC51
Way over priced as far as I'm concerned. Sorry I know there great and all but the price tag on them things is ridiculous..... just to throw food. LOL....

RC

I used to feel the same way. Until I threw out about $100 worth of feed. Due to leaks, and have come up twice after two weeks away, and find the exact same amount of feed in the feeder as when I left. When you factor in the cost of feed, the cost of the fish, and the number of times I actually get the grandkids up here. It's looking like a better deal all the time. smile

Otter attack in 2023
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Plus any day that they don't get feed is a day of optimal growth wasted.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yes there are pros and cons to both no doubt. I don't feed my fish for them to survive either... I only throw food twice a day for like 2 seconds each. So not as big of a deal for me.

Esshup coming from you who sells fish I understand your statement for sure but the average guy with a pond is that really his biggest worry.. I wouldn't think so... a few days without food if something went wrong wouldn't hurt my fish heck I could go a week or 2, but like I said I only supplement feed I don't want my fish dependent on my fish food.

Not downing TH feeders at all. Heck if someone gave me one I would use it right away!! smile but when I could have about 5 of my setups for one of them.... Hard to do..... is all I'm saying.

RC

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
My feeder works like a champ for 6 years now. I just recently floated it tho and I love it!! And it's mobility. I got about give or take a few bucks I have about a total of 175 bucks in it. Just throwing out options is all. Yes TH feeders are sweet and if you have a real nice dock you want it on awesome!! But if you would like to float a feeder or 2 and move them around. This works like a champ for about a quarter of the cost.

RC

Attached Images
Feeder 1.jpg

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R

RC

That's an opinion I had once, till you discover mycotoxin mold from moist feed left on a slinger plate is killing fish, or clumps up on the plate, and very inconsistent feeding rates.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Well it's been 6 years and I never have had that issue but I guess it could always happen... My food stays quite dry and I have never had clump issues on my plate? Like I said just another option for some who don't have the spare 700 plus bucks to feed fish. Plus I am not really worried about
consistent amounts of feed thrown each time as long as it throws I'm good. smile

RC

Last edited by RC51; 10/07/16 12:37 PM.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
$800 for 9 maintenance free years of reliability on my TH...I've been through 4 other feeders of lesser quality during that time each costing $400-$450 on my other ponds. I figure I'm way ahead of the game at this point. TH obviously is aware of this, they are priced accordingly. In pond management there are so few absolutes - a TH feeder quality and dependability is one of them.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah I get it there the best of the best.... on that same note though I have 6 years on mine maintenance free also. Just have to swap rechargeable batteries from time to time here is another pic of mine slinging food pretty good for 175 bucks.... I guess I'm just a DIY kinda guy and that's 600 bucks I saved to use elsewhere that's all I'm saying. Heck 600 bucks savings that's a nice Chainsaw or a Self-propelled lawnmower.... Real nice 12 gauge shotgun!! LOL Thats just how I think I guess. Like I said I wouldn't turn one down either but a lot of folks out here can't afford a 600 dollar air system let alone a 800 dollar fish feeder. That's all I'm saying.

RC

P.S. I also get that everyone doesn't want to deal with a fish feeder out in the water. It is a bit more difficult to fill up and swap batt's out of it... You got to get in a boat to do it for sure.

Attached Images
Feeder.PNG
Last edited by RC51; 10/07/16 01:38 PM.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Anyhow sorry Setter Guy we kinda got off track... but finding a good used TH feeder for sale would almost be like seeing to real nice 12 point bucks fighting each other 40 yards in front of you during hunting season. It just don't happen very often... smile

RC

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Esshup coming from you who sells fish I understand your statement for sure but the average guy with a pond is that really his biggest worry.. I wouldn't think so... a few days without food if something went wrong wouldn't hurt my fish heck I could go a week or 2, but like I said I only supplement feed I don't want my fish dependent on my fish food.

RC, it all depends on the individual pond owners goals. I have clients that don't feed at all and never will, others that hand feed, others still yet that have feeders.

If you want to take fish out of the pond to eat, feeding them will allow them to grow faster, and can "turn" inventory faster from pond to table.

RC, you are a DIY guy. Think about the guys that aren't handy like you, but want to feed the fish, and they might not live at the pond. So they buy a feeder, have a company set it up for them, and who do they call when it doesn't work? Who would that person call to fix it, and would they expect it to be fixed for free? Every trip to a pond costs $$, and I'd be willing to bet that because it's under warranty the pond owner would expect the labor to be free too. It wouldn't take but a trip or two to a pond to chew up any profit made on the feeder, and then what? Will the customer be mad at you for selling a feeder that doesn't work 100% of the time? What if the feeder let water into the food? Who eats the cost of the food?

There are many reasons why I sell TH feeders. wink I like TJ also have a couple of feeders that I have here that don't work reliably, so they aren't in the store.....

Last edited by esshup; 10/07/16 07:50 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

....I don't want my fish dependent on my fish food.

+1 IMHO it all depends on the individual pondmeister's goals. Stocking rates and feeding regiment go hand in hand IMHO. If you stock at a rate that is dependent on pellets to keep your fish alive and growing and are not on site most of the time, then get the most reliable source for food and most reliable feeder you can find. If you just supplemental feed (like me) and stock at a rate that is not dependent on an external food source, you can rest easy when your fish are not fed. IMO in RC's case, seems he has a reliable feeder and his pond is not dependent on pellets. Best of both!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
curious why no one mentions sweeney feeders anymore? i have had one for about 7 years and it works flawless. only had to replace the battery one time.

Scott Hanners
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I have three Sweeney's that I have probably had for 7 or 8 years. They all work great. Last year one timer got wet after it had been stepped on and cracked and I did need to buy a new timer. Sweeney went through some hard times business wise and I think Texas Hunter stepped up and likely took over some of the business. When I bought the new timer Zack & his staff were great to deal with and shipped my timer promptly. They are definitely still in business.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
I have emailed and left voicemails for Sweeney 3x in the past couple years with zero response. Their product apparently is well made, but I obviously lack Bing's magic touch.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I shopped around and didn't find an appreciable amount of $ difference. So, I went with TH.

I've done what RC has done but haven't floated it. I built a guard for the back of it so the feeder wouldn't throw out the back. Coons appreciated my efforts.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails