Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#456724 09/29/16 07:19 AM
T
OP Offline
T
HELP two otters are in my pond and I'm stocking in less than a month! I NEED THEM OUT! ! WHAT DO I DO!

0.7 acre pond stocked 2020, LMB, PS, YP.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
If there are no fish in there I imagine they will move on.

There is always the SSS method as well.

B
B
If you are going to have an otter problem, that is a good time to have it, with no fish! I agree with Chris on your options.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
T
OP Offline
T
I'm worried that the otters will feed on frogs and minnows until the fish come. So do I ask the DNR, or take out the lead?

When does the trapping season open in WI?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Otters ugh one of the worst things you could have in a pond... I would cancel my order before I let them push fish in there.... Or your money will go right down the drain.....

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
B
B
If you are in rural area, and shooting option is possible, that would be my choice.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
D
D
I would shoot them too. If you want you can shoot under their head in the water and the shot will knock them out they will then drown while out cold. No holes in the pelt. I don't think its cold enough yet for them to be prime.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
it was almost impossible for me to stay ahead of the otters at my old pond. i shot and trapped them. they are fairly easy to catch if you have a small stream they are using to get to your pond. but in open water, they are almost impossible to trap. if there are beavers in your area, set the traps on the beaver dam crossings, they both use the same path.

Scott Hanners
T
T
For open water otters use a bucket set. It basically mimics a bucket set used for raccoon with a 220 conibear guarding the end of a square bucket. Take a softball sized rock, wrap it in aluminum foil and place it in the bottom of the bucket. Set the bucket UPRIGHT in about waist deep water. The otters swimming the pond almost always investigate the shiny rock and swim down into the bucket.

I have caught dozens of otters this way and there is no worry of accidental catches. You also can wire a fish to the bottom of the bucket. The white bucket stands out in the pond setting and otters cant resist investigating. You can youtube bucket set trapping if you have any questions about how to do it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If there are no open water sources going to the pond you can run a few strands of electric fence wire 100% around the pond close to the ground up to about 12"-18" high and 4"-6" apart. That will keep them out.

There are solar fence chargers that you can buy for less than $100. A fence that short can be easily stepped over by a human. I'd turn it off before doing so just in case.......

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
OP Offline
T
Update: have seen no sign of otters after first sighting. Should i assume they have moved on? They may have left for the salmon run.

W
W
Yes you should assume they have moved on..... then assume they will be back. I have otters show up every October and sometimes they are just passing through, but sometimes they stay. The DNR will tell you they will eat the slow moving fish like Bullheads and Carp and not bother to chase game fish, don't believe it. What happens is they eat what they like best and work there way down. They do love Crawfish, and they do eat Bullheads and Carp, but no fish is safe. They tend to eat the biggest fish first and work their way down. I once saw one eat a painted turtle shell and all.

They will stay where the fishing is easy. Adding structure to the pond will give the fish a chance and make it harder for the Otters. They will leave if it's not easy fishing. I watched a pair of Otters eat 48 bullheads in 45 minutes. They are extremely good at catching fish and I have seen them come up with more than one fish in their mouth at a time!

My ponds are part of a large wetland near a river so I know I can't eliminate them. I have built large boxes with chain link fence all the way around. I cut slits to allow fish in but not wide enough for the Otters to get in. I place these out on the ice where there is no natural structure and let them sink when the ice melts. This works and frustrates Otters, but you can't fish around them either. I have watched Otters circle the cages for along time then give up and leave. If you have a bowl shaped pond with no structure it's possible they will clean out every fish.

If they are spending time at your pond you will find black tar like scat in piles in spots on shore. They mark their territory like dogs and fire hydrants. They are not hard to trap. The ones that know what traps are will leave if they know traps are there and that's what you want anyway. They will not clean you out overnight but if there is sign there try to get rid of them by any means.

The other issue is that stocked fish are not wise to predators and are easy targets. It's not the end of the world but it sure feels that way when you see them eating your fish. I see some every year, if they stay I deal with them, and I always still have fish in the ponds.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images