Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (catscratch, Brandon Larson, Layne, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond, Angler8689), 638 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CMM Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Excited today. This summer I convinced my husband to help me build a small pontoon boat. I had looked at Pond King and other small pontoon style boats, but the price was just not something I could do. I did have a bunch of 4'X8'X12" styrofoam sheets and some building experience. And a husband with lots of experience! After lots of talking, thinking, drawing of plans and a little cussing, we floated the boat earlier this week and I mounted the trolling motor today and took her out. I have under $300.00 and about 12-15 man hours in it so far. That includes a new battery. Next year will see another couple hundred or so added in 3 boat seats and some additional sealant. The deck is 6'X8' with 10' pontoons. Yeah, I know, pictures are not here. I will get a photo bucket account one of these days, but for now, I am going to go try to catch my first fish off the new floating casting platform.

LovinLiving and Fatih, next time you visit, we can all fish from the same boat!

CMM

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Got to post pictures!

I got a sneak peak, and yes Cim you need to post photos!

Very creative!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
C
CMM Offline OP
OP Offline
C

Here is the boat sitting on the edge of the water!!!! I have added some rope cleats and the trolling motor since the pic was taken. Fished for a while tonight off her! Yeah!!!

CMM

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Very cool!

C
CMM Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks RAH. It was fun to build and I am enjoying fishing off it.

CMM

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
cool little boat....and I bet it is so easy to move around

Fishing has never been about the fish....

WOW!! Impressive! I WANT ONE! How are the logs on the bottom built? You said styrofoam...but they look to have wood texture. Are they covered in wood or wood "look"?? If they are styrofoam how did you mount the braces? Just curious...GREAT JOB!!

C
CMM Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Peachgrower, the pontoons are covered with wood so the foam won't get beat up while docking or hitting brush. And so we could attach the frame to prevent twisting. The frame sits between the pontoons with the deck overhanging the width of the pontoons. All stapled together and all seams reinforced with liquid nails. Stable, pushes easy with a 40lb thrust trolling motor. Very happy with how it turned out!

CMM

B
B
Pond King price was definitely way too high IMO. Also, the weight was too much.....I think 175 pounds for a 1-person pontoon. How much do you think your watercraft weighs? If you have them, please post pictures of the building process or any stages of the building process. Looks great! BM61

Last edited by bassmaster61; 09/28/16 12:09 PM.

Did you treat the wood on the pontoons in any way? I have used 1/2 poly resin and 1/2 acetone to treat wood that would be in a damp area and it has worked very well. It soaks into the wood but doesn't slick it out like regular resin would. Just curious. Thanks!

D
D
I would hit is all with LineX and it will last for ever.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah or some of that Rhino spray for truck beds... It's a done deal then...

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
+1 on what Dono and RC said. That would be the way to go.

Oooh, oooh, how about that stuff that guy uses on TV, where he sprays/paints it on the screen bottom of his jon boat???

Personally I think fiberglass would be best and fairly easy, but for less weight, what about a good sealer, then the rubberized paint they use on swimming pool bottoms? Less resistance than the bed-liner stuff so you'll just sail across the pond smile .

And maybe an aluminum skid plate where it's pulled up on shore?

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
C
CMM Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for all the ideas! So far we haven't sealed the wood. I will pull the boat in a month or so. We are planning on using a product designed to seal concrete. A paint like substance. I thought about bed liner, but as unsure if it would adhere well to wood. The deck especially is very waxy, Advantex brand 3/4 sub flooring.

Don't know the weight, am horrible about estimating these things! Two people can pick it up to flip it if needed.

I am going to the big computer later to email some photos of the build to another forum member, I will upload some to the new photo bucket account and post here as well.

Dono, have you used linex or similar product on wood? I like the anti skid effect and would like that on the deck at least if it wouldn't peel off. As stated, the deck is very waxy feeling, maybe some oil product to repel moisture.

Last edited by CMM; 09/28/16 05:03 PM.

CMM

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Keith, I tried that stuff on a roof leak. It didn't work.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
CMM Offline OP
OP Offline
C
OK, here are some of the pictures from the build. I will answer any questions that I can. If you have any.
http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/mikean...sort=3&o=13

http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/mikean...?sort=3&o=0

http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/mikean...?sort=3&o=5

I THINK, if you follow any one of these links, you will go to the photo bucket with all 14 pictures?? Darn, I am very new at this picture thing.

Any way, hope hollar at me if you have any questions, and keep the suggestions coming!

CMM

Originally Posted By: CMM

Any way, hope hollar at me if you have any questions, and keep the suggestions coming!

If I order 1 now can you have it to me by Christmas? grin

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: CMM
Thanks for all the ideas! So far we haven't sealed the wood. I will pull the boat in a month or so. We are planning on using a product designed to seal concrete. A paint like substance. I thought about bed liner, but as unsure if it would adhere well to wood. The deck especially is very waxy, Advantex brand 3/4 sub flooring.

Don't know the weight, am horrible about estimating these things! Two people can pick it up to flip it if needed.

I am going to the big computer later to email some photos of the build to another forum member, I will upload some to the new photo bucket account and post here as well.

Dono, have you used linex or similar product on wood? I like the anti skid effect and would like that on the deck at least if it wouldn't peel off. As stated, the deck is very waxy feeling, maybe some oil product to repel moisture.

Bed liner spray will swell and come off when constantly exposed to water. I would suggest an oil based silver paint and let it soak in. I have had indoor plywood last many years when exposed to wet weather and ground contact when using the oil based paint in this link Rustoleum Oil-Based Aluminum paint

I laid on several thick coats and let each soak in, in every drill/screw hole and wood edge.

I guess I am way old school. Why not just coat it with a good marine spar varnish?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
F
F
looks like a ford torino maybe 1970 model in your shop. Am I close CMM?

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
C
CMM Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Bill D, I don't know if I can convince the husband to team up and do this all again. But I will ask. As far as the marine varnish... price and familiarity are the two biggest reasons.

Rainman, paint was one of the options, Mike has used this concrete sealer on a number of different bases and likes it a lot. If it doesn't work, we will go back to the drawing board.

Flame, you are SOOOO close. 70 Fairlane 500. Older cousin to the 66 Galaxie 500 that is the hubby's daily driver. The Fairlane is getting some upholstery done and the hood is off in anticipation of a new motor. Time and money... Hope the pics answered some of your questions on the little boat.

CMM

F
F
Thanks for the photos CMM. It helps me a lot. I just sold a 1970 1/2 ford Falcon. If you have never seen one or know the history of them,you should look it up. They look like yours and a Torino BUT... they have a post and are not a hard top. Pretty rare car. All Torinos were hard tops.Let me know what you think.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
D
D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfd7_p4SVBU

I love the stuff. We did the whole interior of a ford scout and left it topless for ever. It washed it self out.

Only mistake I have ever seen done with it was doing an oil pan on a jeep. It heated up the oil and would hold the heat in. Swapped it out for an aluminum pan.

I would not have a truck bed with out it. Not only dose it protect the loads stay and won't slide around.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??