Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,789
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
11 members (FireIsHot, Theeck, Rick O, catscratch, canyoncreek, Augie, Bigtrh24, Shorthose, Theo Gallus, esshup, JasonInOhio), 875 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
roundy Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Had a great meeting with the local NCRS agent today. He was very helpful and provided several report on soil types, crop production potential, and pond reservoir areas. Also saw a report on different field and area acreage sizes, but neglected to get a copy. Will correct that in next few days.

We then went to property and toured for about an hour or so. As a newbie, I learned quite a bit as he handeled my questions and provided insight on many things I hadn't considered. The plan is for him to return after crops are out and pastures mowed. Then he will make a few recommendations on pond, conservation measures, and applicable programs.

I sound like a commercial for them, but things went very well. The proof is in the pudding though, I'll see how thing progress from here. It was great to be taking a positive step towards getting a rough plan together and then be able to talk to contractors.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
roundy, most NRCS agents are very helpful...sounds like yours is in that group. Be very wary on "available programs" as you may get some cost share, but often at the expense of control over what you can, and cannot do for many years.

The advice the NRCS agent gives is taxpayer supported with no strings attached for the advice and services....not so on virtually every other assistance.

S
S
I have worked with my local NRCS office for the last six years and have nothing but praise for them. The key to getting assistance is to align with the overall strategy and goals that the NRCS is working on in your area. They as mist government agencies have limited time and funds. If you approach them asking for help versus demanding they can be an invaluable resource.

I realize each office can vary but overall they have goals that each office has to hit in servicing the local community. The measurement system is very intensive so they are going to help somebody, why not you?

2.5 Acre Pond
R
roundy Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Swiss - I think you hit it right on the head. The agent seemed genuinely surprised I wasn't money grubbing for some way the add income to the property to pay for it. I got the feeling they are seen as a piggy bank and folks just through the motions to see what funds are available. I understand how that may be frustrating after a period of time. Our area has a huge amount of absentee land owners who own property for deer, turkey, and outfitting.

While government money is always welcomed, I definitely don't have any interest to "make a deal with the devil" if the terms limit use too much or too long. It was refreshing to talk with an agency that seemed ready to help me along. He said several times he would make recommendations, it was up to me if I was interested. I really didn't get any "do as I say or else no treats for you" vibe.

S
S
One thing to note for others, Pond design and cost sharing programs are not a current priority for the NRCS today. Back in the late 90's there was a big push as part of the original farm bill which drives the NRCS activity to build ponds. I believe that some members of this site benefited from this program.

What happened though was in the mid 2000's the NRCS realized that developers were getting ponds designed and cost share money only to turn around and then convert the property to a development. This greed was recognized by the government and pond's design and construction was removed from most of the NRCS programs by the late 2000's.

So if you walk into the NRCS office and say I need help to build a pond you will probably not get a good reception.

I would recommend first establishing a relationship with the NRCS and starting small with one of the programs that they have in place such as

1.) EQIP
2.) CSP,

Once you have a relationship and perform accordingly to thier contract requirements, the local offices in most cases will go out of their way to help on other items where possible.

2.5 Acre Pond
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
It may be hit and miss with the NRCS. They came out and looked at my pond/wetland project, and even sent me a soil report saying that the project would work, but the local group does not have the resources to draw up a design. I decided to contact a contractor anyway, but he talked to the county surveyor who scared him off with a list of "assessments" that he recommended be done before construction. The contractor told me these would not fit in my budget. I even asked for government help navigating the county bureaucracy, and got no takers.

As I mentioned on another thread. My NRCS guys were great. He was very upfront about any financial aid. If I put the pond in the woods, it was all my dollars, if I put it in the field it would be seen as erosion control, and he might be able to help. I was in the woods only, so he just changed gears, and tried to help, but without any financial assistance being considered.
I say again, almost all of what he predicted has come true. Minimum drainage to support a one acre pond, and a little too much rock mixed in with my clay to guarantee 100% success.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by FireIsHot - 04/19/24 07:49 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward