Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,811
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
2 members (FishinRod, Sunil), 1,077 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Hi. Im starting this personal project. It is a quarry, 600X900 feets (size). max deph is around 30 feets.
My goal is to get better visibilitu in the water.
There are few fishes, almost no acuatic vegetation. P levels are somehow high (water analisis shoews P are below permitd levels but not far from limit).
At the beginig water was somehow clear, like 30 ffets clear. But that was at the surface and till 15/20 feets deep. From there the water was reaaly dark, and witha strong sulphur smell.
reading information (there is no pro help here available) in this forum, I started with the idea of areation. I mounted a compresor and an air difuser, 30 feets deep (my calculations were to install 5 of this areators, I started with 1 for testing purposes). The water moved by the aereator is reaaly impresive. The water comeing from the bottom was really "smelly", a very strong sulphur smell came up, thatwas for the first week, then the smell was decreasing. After 2 weeks the smell desapeared, completly. The dark water in the bottom desapeared. But at this time the water turned green, really green. Water clarity decreased to only 1 feet. The bottom now is in dark: no light reaches the bottom (is filtered in the first 2 meters of the water column).
almost 2 moths has passsed and not improvements in ewater clarity.
I know Im haveing an algae bloom.
I have added benefical bacteria.
Now Im planning to use Aluminium sulphate to deny P to the algae. What do you think about it, can you tell me how do I calculate the amount of alumiun sulphate I need?
I have done tests on bottles: the water turns milky, and a cludy water forms.
Here it is some data of the water analisis:
PH: 6.6
CO3CA 266
Phosphates 1,8 mg/l
S 0.95 mg/l
Disolved O2 7.2 ppm
DBO 122
CACO3 203 mg/l
NO3- <5
NO2- 0.01
SO4= 103 mg/l

I know that in a long term , to control phosphates I should have acuitic plants? Im in that way, but for the moment I need to control this algae bloom.
Thanks for the help and advices

T
T
I wouldn't use aluminum sulphate. It is considered to possibly be a toxin and will make your water more acidic which in turn could kill organisms and fish. I would check my salinity. Being that it is an old quarry. But your ph and dissolved oxygen look good. Usually proper aeration will keep the algae bloom under control. Maybe test water for hydrogen sulfide or sulfuric gas basically. And usually phosphates are expressed in ppm so I'm not familiar with mg/l. But does seem little high.

G
G
I have a levee pond I had built it's 5 acres we put 7 large cypress trees so had to keep pumping out so we could let dry to get trucks in to plant trees. finally in that 1 1/2 years pond filled up with rain water, just in last month my pond had over 3 feet of rain now pond is full and muddy. I called local soil and conservation he suggested spray with aluminum sulfate and lime, the fish farm guy said don't put chemicals it will mess something else up he said will take 2 years to clear it just doesn't look good muddy. my PH is 7 and alkalinity is 60 it would be nice if I could see a foot or so on surface if I added well water will that help I have overflow that water pushes from bottom and goes out. should I just let it sit and clear on its on I want to put fish in October or November. HELP !

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Gerald, your pond guy is wrong on these chemicals. If the turbidity is from colloidal clay, which is common in LA, it may never clear.

I apply a LOT of Alum to clear ponds and there are no dangers when done right.

Here is a thread on clearing with Alum, and describes how to do a jar test...I will also private message you.

Alum kicks clay butt

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Twinriverslwm
I wouldn't use aluminum sulphate. It is considered to possibly be a toxin and will make your water more acidic which in turn could kill organisms and fish. I would check my salinity. Being that it is an old quarry. But your ph and dissolved oxygen look good. Usually proper aeration will keep the algae bloom under control. Maybe test water for hydrogen sulfide or sulfuric gas basically. And usually phosphates are expressed in ppm so I'm not familiar with mg/l. But does seem little high.

Aluminum sulfate is a very safe chemical, and should always be applied at a rate of 2:1 on alum:hydrated lime to keep the pH balanced

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Martin-dive
Hi. Im starting this personal project. It is a quarry, 600X900 feets (size). max deph is around 30 feets.
My goal is to get better visibilitu in the water.
There are few fishes, almost no acuatic vegetation. P levels are somehow high (water analisis shoews P are below permitd levels but not far from limit).
At the beginig water was somehow clear, like 30 ffets clear. But that was at the surface and till 15/20 feets deep. From there the water was reaaly dark, and witha strong sulphur smell.
reading information (there is no pro help here available) in this forum, I started with the idea of areation. I mounted a compresor and an air difuser, 30 feets deep (my calculations were to install 5 of this areators, I started with 1 for testing purposes). The water moved by the aereator is reaaly impresive. The water comeing from the bottom was really "smelly", a very strong sulphur smell came up, thatwas for the first week, then the smell was decreasing. After 2 weeks the smell desapeared, completly. The dark water in the bottom desapeared. But at this time the water turned green, really green. Water clarity decreased to only 1 feet. The bottom now is in dark: no light reaches the bottom (is filtered in the first 2 meters of the water column).
almost 2 moths has passsed and not improvements in ewater clarity.
I know Im haveing an algae bloom.
I have added benefical bacteria.
Now Im planning to use Aluminium sulphate to deny P to the algae. What do you think about it, can you tell me how do I calculate the amount of alumiun sulphate I need?
I have done tests on bottles: the water turns milky, and a cludy water forms.
Here it is some data of the water analisis:
PH: 6.6
CO3CA 266
Phosphates 1,8 mg/l
S 0.95 mg/l
Disolved O2 7.2 ppm
DBO 122
CACO3 203 mg/l
NO3- <5
NO2- 0.01
SO4= 103 mg/l

I know that in a long term , to control phosphates I should have acuitic plants? Im in that way, but for the moment I need to control this algae bloom.
Thanks for the help and advices

To bind P with Alum into Aluminum Phosphate, apply at least 250 pounds (22.7kg) per acre/foot of water Use Hydrated lime at a rate of 50% of the alum used to keep your pH balanced, but do NOT mix the alum and Hydrated lime in the same mixing container.

Applying the Hydrated Lime first will also kill much of the algae bloom before the alum binds the P, and flocculates the solids

T
T
Thanks rainmain on correcting me. Everything I have ever read on aluminum sulphate said it could be harmful since it lowers ph to raise acid levels. But makes since to use the lime to counteract. When you encounter an algae bloom in pond do you test the water first to be sure it couldn't be something else or go start to the aluminum to cure it?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Twinriverslwm, I've never personally tested the water first, but always try finding the source of excess nutrients. I normally only treat a couple ponds a year for Phosphorous, but have had more than a few this year.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Twinriverslwm
Thanks rainmain on correcting me. Everything I have ever read on aluminum sulphate said it could be harmful since it lowers ph to raise acid levels. But makes since to use the lime to counteract. When you encounter an algae bloom in pond do you test the water first to be sure it couldn't be something else or go start to the aluminum to cure it?

When you say "lime" make sure you say "hydrated" before it so everyone is on the same page on which to use. Using agricultural lime is completely different than using hydrated lime. I doubt that you could add enough agricultural lime to a pond to create a condition that will kill fish, but you CAN use hydrated lime to sterilize a pond. I've never heard of using regular lime with aluminum sulfate only hydrated lime.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 06:16 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?