Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Cat,

I never really got to know you to well, but I wish you the best, my Dad is now 74 and I slowly see him starting to slip a little in all he can do. And we don't have near the land / ponds you do. Enjoy it my friend and keep us posted as to what your doing... Long live the CAT and Mrs. CAT!!!! smile

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks for the recent and very kind comments from all. This is a kind of like a mid-life crisis, except we'd have to live to 140 for it to be mid-life.

Since I started this thread, I can't even begin to estimate how many times I've filled my 6'x 10' cargo trailer, my 4'x 8' utility trailer, and/or my pickup truck with things to take to our local auction house. I've literally given away tons of stuff to friends and family, and sold other stuff - like all but one of my canoes, my paddle boat, and my jon boat. Lots of tools and guns have gone. I have no idea how many things with 2-cycle and small 4-cycle engines have gone. I still walk around and get tears in my eyes when I see what I still need to get rid of.

I think that Todd once posted that he thought I had every tractor implement known to man. That isn't quite true. And, I've gotten rid of a few -- including the pallet forks mentioned in another recent thread.

This is the second time my wife and I have done this in our 42 year marriage. The last time was about 20 years ago with a beloved place much like this, but in Virginia. It took well over a year of getting rid of "toys" and stuff. At that time, our 20 rural acres had become surrounded by 250,000 new homes, and it often took me 45 minutes to make the 7 mile trip to work in the morning. Our taxes were more than our mortgage. We had become a Washington DC suburb, even though we were at least 50 miles out.

Our present area is growing, but that is not why we need to make changes this time. We aren't getting any younger. Thankfully, we are still in good health.

Originally Posted By: Todd the West Virginian of Italian Descent
As for the forum, you darn well better not think this change of circumstances is a pass to leave. Once you've been brought into la famiglia, you don't get to just walk away!

I guess that might be the safest course of action on my part, since I probably know a lot of "la famiglia" secrets. Like about the lost hotel van at the first PB conference, with a bullet hole in the windshield, guided by Sunil, who was told by Govnr D to "follow us". Or, the time ...

As for Oak Island -- a totally different Oak Island than the one in the TV series. We've been vacationing there there since about 1978, and have owned a number of vacation homes there since about the early 1980s. Our home on Oak Island is near the mouth of the Cape Fear River in very southeastern NC, near the little town of Southport, NC. Our backyard pond has a regularly rotating group of alligators. We don't let the cats out to become possible snacks.

I did get a jon boat last winter. It is back up here in WV now. It is a wide and stable 14 footer, with a 9.9 HP gasoline engine and a fairly decent size electric motor. I haven't yet used the gasoline motor. If I'm the only one in the boat, it will plane in calm water with the electric motor. I've got a big RV/Marine battery for it, and the battery will outlast my butt time in the seats.

I was planning on taking it to a local lake this afternoon where I know the RES are on the spawning beds. But, I need to get new lights on the trailer after my last trip out.

I'm headed out to get a catfish from the put-and-take upper pond. We plan to "plank" it on cedar for dinner this evening. After I get the catfish filleted, I plan to get new lights on the boat trailer.

Tomorrow I'm picking up a load of fish for the two ponds. Tilapia and CC for both ponds, and more HBG for the put-and-take pond. It has gotten too warm for the dealers to transport HSB. I'm still managing the ponds like I'll be here forever.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Isn't it ironic how we strive to get all this stuff only to have to slowly let it go once again. One of my saddest memories is of my grand parents.... They had is all. Big 3 story home, 40 acre farm with a pond hugh garden a cabin on a small lake. We spent many of summers and Christmases at the farm in Wisconsin... And one day we went to visit them in Arizona and all they had was a 1 bedroom apartment house with not much more than a TV and a couple chairs and small dining room....

All of it was gone.... everything they worked for gone... of course their kids got money from it all but to me it was a memory etched in my mind that hit me like a ton of bricks.... I now see my Dad doing the same thing, down sizing getting rid of stuff... have no reason for it anymore... ugh I suppose I will be next...how time flys on this earth...

RC

Last edited by RC51; 06/15/17 03:29 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Ken, I hope you are well. My mother-in-law lives in Ocean Isle Beach, not far from your beach home. It's a lovely area! Sure beats the insanity of northern Virginia. Take care...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I started this thread a little over a year ago as Lynda and I began serious work and planning for our next adventure as we continue to get more senior.

Having been here for a long time, I believe a number of others will face such "moving on". Some of our wonderful Pond Boss friends didn't get to plan what would happen to the dreams they built. Others, like George Glazener kept us learning about ponds, fish, fishing and living life to the fullest through through end-of-life challenges as he approached his next journey.

This is a little more about our next step of slowly moving on.

We recently bought a home in the city of Winchester, VA. It is less than 15 miles from our WV home/ponds -- what I jokingly refer to as Catmandoo Estates and Ponds. I'll miss it tremendously, but ...

Although the new home in VA is close by, it is about 500 feet lower in elevation than our WV home. Thus, it doesn't get anywhere near as much snow, and is usually about 10 degrees warmer in the winter. The home is on just 0.2 acres, so there will be minimal yard work. It adjoins several acres of conservation "out lot" and a state-owned right-of-way. So, I can feel like I'm still in the country, and I'll still be able to pee in the back yard. We'll still be close to long-time friends and family.

With this home, we can now determine what we need to keep, and what more we can get rid of. The new city home is making planning a lot easier.

A few years ago as part of this journey, we bought the home I'm at tonight. It is on Oak Island, in very south eastern NC. where we've vacationed and owned homes since about 1980. I arrived here just before high tide yesterday afternoon. I quickly loaded my fishing cart onto our golf cart, and headed to the ocean surf. Fishing was crazy good. I just finished a meal of some of fish I caught in the front yard yesterday evening. I've got enough fillets for two or three more meals.

Although our beach home is a single family house with a garage, it is designated as a condominium. We have about a 1/4 acre yard. We've even got a nice 1/8 acre alligator pond outside the back sunroom and deck on common property. But, being listed as a condominium, an association is responsible for everything external to the interior of the house and garage. So, no mowing, roof maintenance, outdoor painting, landscape maintenance, etc., yet I can have a garden and do my own landscaping if I so desire.

So, our next goal is to finish getting our WV home ready for sale, and to get it sold.

I got a very happy surprise when I checked-in a deer early last week. I mentioned to the DNR people that it was probably the last WV deer I would harvest. I was concerned that my WV "lifetime resident" hunting/fishing was not going to be valid when I moved back across the border into VA. They said it was truly a lifetime license -- no matter where I lived. I called the head DNR office where they verified that I will be able to continue to hunt and fish with this license until I die.

I figure we are well into the next phase of out life journey.

Life is good.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Catmandoo,

My wife and I were fortunate to sit with you Lynda a couple mornings for breakfast when the conference was at Big Cedar. I had showed her this post originally when you put it up, we both wish you the best in the next steps of slowly moving on. Thanks for the update.

Bryan

S
S
Great to hear things are working out for you Catmandoo.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Next adventure.....alligator jerky. Had a friend that used ta poach em off golf course ponds at night with a baseball bat.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
That is awesome Ken! Sounds like you have a great plan!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??