Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,958
Posts557,923
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
10 members (canyoncreek, ghdmd, Bigtrh24, FishinRod, catscratch, Rick O, Jward87, Justin W, Theo Gallus, phinfan), 840 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TKD Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Is it smart to stock BG and RES together? Not sure what the pros and cons are. When they cross bread, what is the outcome, do the offspring grow smaller or bigger than either of the parents? Will this hurt my pond in the future? Is it a a bad idea to mix these two?

1 1/4 acre L shaped pond, 6 to 9 ft deep. Finished 7/7/16. Stocked with LMB, HBG, BG, CNBG, RES, FHM. Can't wait to fish it. GO SAINTS!!!
F
F
RES are mostly put in ponds to keep parasites under control which are spread by heron and other bird's droppings. Even becomes more important if swimming in the pond. Not bad to mix these two. RES are a great fish to catch.

F
F

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
TDK +1 on what Fish said. RES are a great maintenance fish for sure and they don't normally cross breed with BG. Oh maybe from time to time but unless I'm mistaken RES only breed like once a year and BG can breed 5 or 6 times a year... but if they did x breed I don't think it would be smaller that's for sure! Considering RES can grow up to 3 to 4 pounds...

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
T
TKD Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the info guys. What happens when they cross bread? What is the offspring called, what about size and coloration?

1 1/4 acre L shaped pond, 6 to 9 ft deep. Finished 7/7/16. Stocked with LMB, HBG, BG, CNBG, RES, FHM. Can't wait to fish it. GO SAINTS!!!
P
P
RES are a bit harder to catch.... Look at threds by Shorty (the RES guru) I didn't care in my puddle if the BG mixed with other kinds of BG,, kinda a mutt pond- very interesting to see nature at its finest

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
RE X BG crosses are not a problem in normally stocked ponds. They are very nice fish (size etc.).

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
BG x RES hybrids are welcome, and numerous in our ponds. Very good fighters, they grow large, take pelleted feed easily, and still possess the pharyngeal plate. I consider it a win-win.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
T
TKD Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Sprkplug, So you have BG and HBG? I am going with BG and I want to go with HBG of CNBG also. What's ur thoughts on plus or minus for either?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I have both HBG and male (mostly)BG in one pond, and northern BG in the others. In my opinion HBG are a niche fish, which will have the best chance of reaching their full potential when utilized in a setting that caters to them. That doesn't mean they won't grow large in a typical "balanced" pond scenario, but I don't think you will see numbers of above average, outstanding hybrids if you're using one BOW to try and fulfill multiple goals, species wise.

HBG will outgrow native BG, at least mine do, for the first couple years. They really come out of the gate strong. Ultimate size potential belongs to the BG, either northern or coppernose. Their larger mouth gape allows them to utilize larger forage, and they are both predatory and opportunistic. They also fight much harder than a comparably sized BG. First gen hybrids are heavily male biased, which can be either good or bad depending upon your goals. If you're worried about the chances of BG overrunning your pond and stunting, then HBG might be a good fit. If you need a source of forage for your bass, I can almost guarantee you will be disappointed with hybrids.

Small HBG, like small BG, will bite sedentary swimmers. Both will "outgrow" this tendency. HBG are very often touted as a good kids fish, with the explanation they are always willing to bite a hook. They can certainly be aggressive, but never doubt that they can become hookshy and wary, especially in low density, heavily pressured environments where catch and release is the order of the day.

T
TKD Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Sprkplug, Would putting 1000 BG, 1000 CNBG and 250 RES for diversity be a bad idea? Kind of wanted some different colors and types of BG.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
In my opinion there's no problem with stocking those fish together, provided you don't mind some crosses. It's the numbers you list that might concern me.

T
TKD Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Ok, I was just going by the recommendations from hatchery. Should have known they were too high. What would your numbers be on these 3 if you were stocking them in my size pond?
Also, I will have a fountain soon.

Last edited by TKD; 08/23/16 09:53 AM.

S
S
TKD I have in my main pond (3 acres)stocked both BG and RES originally. Then later when I built my sediment pond ( 1/10th acre) it was stocked with CNBG and RES. My sediment pond flows into my main pond so now I have CNBG migrating into my main pond as well as I have trapped and line caught several hundred CNBG and transferred to my main pond. There also have been numerous HBG fingerlings that have came from that sediment pond from some GSF that either came in from contaminated stock or from high water flows or some other unknown source. I also had a few HBG contamination (have caught under 50 out of my initial stocking) in my original BG stocking in my main pond.

Originally I removed every HBG I caught and moved them to my old pond thinking they would be undesirable. As time went on I came to appreciate the HBG and now actively transfer and seek out hybridization of the CNBG with RES and GSF in my sediment pond.

In other words I think the HBG add to my positive fishing experience and I like them mixed in with my RES, BG, CNBG and a very few GSF. Time will tell if I just end up with a mess because the largest CNBG that are in my main pond now are only in the 7-8" range. But so far so good. Two or three years from now I can probably give you a more definitive answer. But from my non-expert standpoint view, I would have no problems mixing those fish because that is exactly what I have done. I really like the hybrids and are one of my favorite fish to catch.

I'm probably pushing the northern edge of where CNBG will work so the jury is still out on how well they will turn out. So far so good but we have not had a severe winter since stocking them. Your location that should be no problem at all.

Last edited by snrub; 08/23/16 12:23 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
T
TKD Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Sprkplug and SNRUB, Do you think the numbers that I put a couple post back are good numbers or should I adjust them?

Last edited by TKD; 08/23/16 01:16 PM.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
What fish are you planning on stocking, and how big is the pond? I like around 1000 BG per acre generally, but that is highly variable depending upon your goals, and species present.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I have both HBG and male (mostly)BG in one pond, and northern BG in the others. In my opinion HBG are a niche fish, which will have the best chance of reaching their full potential when utilized in a setting that caters to them. That doesn't mean they won't grow large in a typical "balanced" pond scenario, but I don't think you will see numbers of above average, outstanding hybrids if you're using one BOW to try and fulfill multiple goals, species wise.

HBG will outgrow native BG, at least mine do, for the first couple years. They really come out of the gate strong. Ultimate size potential belongs to the BG, either northern or coppernose. Their larger mouth gape allows them to utilize larger forage, and they are both predatory and opportunistic. They also fight much harder than a comparably sized BG. First gen hybrids are heavily male biased, which can be either good or bad depending upon your goals. If you're worried about the chances of BG overrunning your pond and stunting, then HBG might be a good fit. If you need a source of forage for your bass, I can almost guarantee you will be disappointed with hybrids.

Small HBG, like small BG, will bite sedentary swimmers. Both will "outgrow" this tendency. HBG are very often touted as a good kids fish, with the explanation they are always willing to bite a hook. They can certainly be aggressive, but never doubt that they can become hookshy and wary, especially in low density, heavily pressured environments where catch and release is the order of the day.

Excellent summary.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
S
Originally Posted By: TKD
Sprkplug and SNRUB, Do you think the numbers that I put a couple post back are good numbers or should I adjust them?

This is a link to what I originally stocked in the 3 acre pond. I'm not the correct person to recomend stocking rates. I stocked what Wallace Fish Farms recomended for a balanced pond (not focused on either LMB or BG trophy size fish). This was before I discovered PBForum. The stocking rate seems to be ok to date..

snrub stocking rate

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Need help
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:49 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:38 PM
Happy Birthday Theo!