Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Freg, Jared015, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, Sunil, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 729 guests, and 217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Beretta Offline OP
OP Offline
B
If anyone has a predatorless small pond or puddle that may be interested in getting a start to maybe supply a few here on pondboss I may be able to help. I have a stock of Carroll fattiggs shrimp that I can harvest a limited amount now. The shrimp would be free as well as the shipping to your door. If anyone wants to try to raise broodstock or just try to overwinter them with a plan next year Let me know or PM me. I'm not looking for for someone to just throw them in an established pond with no means to harvest them back out. I'm just looking to keep this strain available in case I need some in the future.
Thanks

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I just completed a brand new forage pond and it currently has nothing stocked in it. It is about 25 to 30' diameter, about 10' deep, and is fed by an artesian well (pictures posted on another thread). I would love to get PK shrimp going, but there are currently no plants in the pond. I do not want to get into shipping aquatics but would be glad to team up with someone else that might be interested in that aspect. I am a bit scared of the legal aspects of this type of thing. I was going to stock LCS, but would pick PK shrimp over them. I now have a backhoe and could dig more small ponds in the future for the LCS. My interest is in eventually getting them going in my other ponds, wetlands, and duck ponds.

C
C
Beretta,
Many thanks for offering to help on this. I agree, these PK shrimp are special and we need to create a friend to friend network to try to keep them going. I also was fortunate enough to get some of Carol's shrimp. I keep hoping my shrimp will set up a sustaining population and that I can then share them with others. Like RAH, I don't want to get in the business of shipping across state lines for profit or even to be helpful, in case I end up opening a can of worms.

But if local folk are needing some and I can help, I want to. My problem is that I have predators in my pond. I assume perch are snacking on the shrimp. The RES are most likely finding them tasty as well. I also have crayfish who probably can easily eat them as well.

I do catch some once in a while if I do some seining, but never a big population. If my population really gets established I'd love to know a way to harvest them. Is seining the only reliable way to do it?

I think it would be best if folks raised them in puddles that had no other predators. I'm not sure vegetation is that critical if there are no other predators. However you do want nice healthy green water with lots of members on the food chain below the PK shrimp so they can thrive.

Mine have made it through 2 winters so far.

Would PK shrimp be a good opportunity for a aquaponics set up? The green water from the fish side could be routed to a separate tank for the PK shrimp and that would make harvest a whole lot easier too?

T
T
Funny thing, u bringing this up. I spent a few hours yesterday searching for information on raising shrimp. I have a nice little pond with green water to feed the shrimp. I has Fhm's in it right now but I can dump and run water pretty easily. And u can run substrate in the pond for the shrimp, so vegetation is not needed for raising shrimp. I am not so sure I can get them through the winter, so I may have to wait till next season to raise the larger sized river shrimp. In talking to the Camalot Bell lmb people, they are feeding their lmb these larger shrimp and believe they are helping to get these lmb in the DD size. I need to make a call or two to get more answers.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Pond water has a bit of a green tinge.

Last edited by RAH; 07/30/16 06:17 AM.
B
Beretta Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for all the interest but I hadn't realized I would need permits to ship these. So I guess that's out of the question now. Sorry guys. Maybe if someone in ky is close enough we could work something out.

Last edited by Beretta; 07/30/16 09:56 AM.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Could always ship genuine Ky water, and if there are some hitch hikers, well that would be too bad:) How far are you from the Indiana border?

Last edited by RAH; 07/30/16 12:16 PM.
B
Beretta Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I agree. 1 in 1000 would not have a problem doing it . Unfortunately I would be the 1 that did.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I fully understand. It is unfortunate because restoration of this species serves conservation efforts. Too bad DNR and F&W staff are not actively helping make this happen through a proactive program.

Last edited by RAH; 07/31/16 06:55 AM.
J
J
Beretta do you see the shrimp often in your pond? I stocked them from Carol also and never see them so Im not sure if they still exist in my pond. I don't have much vegetation, but do have a lot of rock and a heavy crayfish population.

B
Beretta Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Very rarely of a daytime. Go out after dark with a fairly bright flashlight or spotlight and look around the edges in the shallow parts of your pond. Look closely as they are small and clear. If you hit their eyes at the right angle they will glow like 2 red pinheads spaced 1/4" apart. Also a small mesh butterfly net drug from a couple feet out back into the bank could get you some in the daytime. Run the net through what vegetation you have also. This is actually how I have been catching mine.

P
P
Find a weedy canal or creek and scoop with a fine net and probably will get some shrimp. That's how I got mine

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I think success depends a lot on location.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
If I decide to open a fish farm, PK and craws will be on the menu

C
C
beretta, don't give up too easily. Folks on ebay are shipping all kinds of live critters (bullfrog tadpoles, tilapia fry, shrimp, etc) to all kinds of states without permits. Ask the DNR in the states close to you about any regulations about this, especially since the PK shrimp may be native in the destination state already.

I know some here speak about shrimp in rivers but they are probably the southern strain of shrimp. The nothern strain of shrimp that Carol sold can handle overwintering without issues even in bitter cold canadian winters.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
PK shrimp are native to Indiana and I'd love to get some!

I sent you a pm

B
Beretta Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I appreciate all the interest in this . I have tried to respond to all the posts, pm's, and emails with a response. If I missed someone I apologize.
I would love for everyone to have shrimp in their pond and would like to supply that but I can't . I have a limited supply. I still don't know if there established in my main pond or not although they did overwinter. That's where my broodstock came from.
I apologize on offering shipping. Is it legal? I really have no clue and no desire to figure it out. I appreciate all the workaround ideas I have received but I'm not going down that road.
I'm not trying to just give away free shrimp.
If you would re read my original post you would see my goal in the post.
With that said I have a pond managment company coming to ME to get my available shrimp for free. They have a pond dug just for these ready to go and have the sole purpose of selling them. And that was my original goal.
So this time next year hopefully we will be asking how many to stock per acre instead of where can I get PK shrimp.
Thanks

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Thank you for your efforts! I think they will have some shrimp orders once they gear up. You may want to let them know to solicit buyers on PondBoss once they are ready (if that is within the rules).

Last edited by RAH; 08/03/16 06:35 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images