Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
10 members (Augie, IND1371, dg84s, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Sunil, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 766 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#452753 07/25/16 08:54 AM
K
OP Offline
K
hi all. grin

long time lurker first time poster.

anyway i've been planning an aeration system for my pond for a couple years now but just now getting ready to install one. i think i have most the basics down but just have a couple questions regarding diffusers.

first i guess i'll give you pond description.

it's approximately 1/3 acre (150x100), 15 year old clay lined lightly stocked pond. acre feet approx 2.56 with 834179 volume and depth fluctuates, per season, from about 14ft to 16ft.

i have a gast 0523 pump which by specs puts out between 3.2 to 3.8 cfm @8 psi. 8 psi is getting to the top of psi rating so i'm looking for a free flowing system to try to keep psi down. i'm going to be running 3/4 nylon tubing from my polebarn to my pond which is about 100 feet away. the i plan on running approx 75ft 5/8's or 1/2" weighted hose to the center of my pond.

now what i'm really not understanding is if i'll need 2 9" diffusers or will one do it. i think my pump by specs will push 2 diffusers but do i really need that much flow? and would running 2 be easier on my pump than one?

also i've read the vertex brand diffuser has some kind of restrictor installed that adds about 1 psi pump load to balance disks. which i dont want so can you remove the restrictors? would i even need to balance with 2 disks?

sorry about all the questions but i'm getting excited to see this thing through.

thanks, chuck

Last edited by kimber45; 07/25/16 08:56 AM.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey chuck welcome! I'm sure a expert or 2 will be along shortly to help you out. Welcome to the PBF!!!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Plan appears okay. You can very adequately operate 3, 4 and even 5 9" diffusers with the 0523. I run 6 diffusers with my 0523.The more air volume each diffuser receives it tends to 'a little bit' increase the volume of upwelling water due to more bubbles produced, however an additional diffuser does much more to increase water flow. Over extending the membrane diffuser with excess air results in larger bubbles squeezing out the slits which is not really a big benefit.

"would running 2 be easier on my pump than one?" No. Pump 'stress' is dependent on depth of diffuser and running pressure. Pump needs to use all air produces; it does not benefit from, nor can it produce 'stored air'. Increasing number of diffusers does not benefit the pump unless one diffuser causes back pressure due to not being able to release all the air volume produced (too small or too few holes for air release or some sort of valve or airline restriction). Ideally the system all out of the water should read 0psi indicating basically no restriction.

IMO if you build your diffuser with 3-4 9" disks you will get more flow volume, a faster pond turnover, and you can turn your pump off for more hours each day. In MI with a 1/3 ac pond you do not need to run your pump 24/7 unless your pond is in a woods, is full of organics, algae, and dye. Dye reducees light penetration and reduces natural plant production of oxygen for the annual oxygen budget.

I would not remove the restrictor from the Vertex diffuser. Just by a membrane disk without the special valve.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/25/16 10:51 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
K
OP Offline
K
thanks rc and bill.

my initial plan was to run 2 9" diffusers in about 14 ft. of water. from charts i've read that should be around 4000+/- gpm. so if my figures are right i should be able to turn over my pond volume in under 4 hrs so i would probably only run it 6 or so hours overnight.

i may even run the diffusers in shallower water to decrease the load on the pump.

now to make up my mind on whether to build my pump housing inside or outside of the polebarn. crazy

i think i'm going inside....

does any of the pondboss sponsors sell anything other than vertex diffusers? i would rather spend money with people who help this site as long as the pricing isn't to far off.

thanks

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The 0523 is a real workhorse; just keep it dry and well ventilated and it will work well at 16ft-17ft. I have them in pond applications at 15ft-17ft deep and running for over 20yrs. If you have a deep water concern, for deeper applications put the diffusers on a stand (up 16"-26") instead of directly on the bottom. One option is mount them on top of 2 staked car tires which serve as added height, a weighted base, and a sled to pull them from shore into the pond with a rope. See your PM for more diffuser mounting ideas.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/25/16 12:47 PM.

D
D
I got my 2 Vertex diffusers from Hoosier Pond Pros. That's part of the family. smile And the ladies in your house will like the purple.

K
OP Offline
K
oh yes the ladies would love the purple Nick. lol

but i've pretty much eliminated vertex because of the back pressure.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
The 0523 is a real workhorse; just keep it dry and well ventilated and it will work well at 16ft-17ft. I have them in pond applications at 15ft-17ft deep and running for over 20yrs. If you have a deep water concern, for deeper applications put the diffusers on a stand (up 16"-26") instead of directly on the bottom. One option is mount them on top of 2 staked car tires which serve as added height, a weighted base, and a sled to pull them from shore into the pond with a rope. See your PM for more diffuser mounting ideas.

Bill is correct in saying it's a workhorse! MY 0523 is a sweet pump and laughs every time I turn it on in only 9 feet of water...lol I only have 2 fusers right now but like Bill says it can do 3 or 4 or more. I have a spot for a 3rd fuser I just have not taken the time to put it on yet... Sounds like you got the right setup once you got it in and running show us some pics!!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
D
D
I lose 2 psi getting out of the cabinet because it starts with 1/4" NPT. I go out of the cabinet with 1" poly. It is over 300' to the pond, losing another 1 psi. I have a manifold in 3/4" PVC then 100' of 5/8" ID weighted tubing. I then go 3/4" pipe, split it still 3/4" then two 9" Vertex diffusers. I run a 4 cfm system down around 10' deep. My total system pressure is 8-8.5 psi. I don't think the diffusers are an issue at all.

K
OP Offline
K
oh yea it's definitely the sum of all but anywhere i can save some restriction building the system i'll try.

i've read the vertex diffusers raise system pressure by about 1 psi. is this something that has been confirmed by others?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Yes, others have noted increased PSI using Vertex diffusers. This is probably why Vertex uses rocking piston compressors that can easily 'handle' this extra PSI needed by their specially built diffusers that regulate the air flow to multiple diffusers.
Here is the lengthy discussion where this was discussed in detail.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=373358&page=2

One good and easy way check the PSI back pressure is to set up your system completely out of the water. Start the compressor. Read and note the pressure gauge. Now remove just the diffusser/s. Read and note the pressure gauge. The difference between the two PSI readings is the back pressure created by the diffuser/s. Using the 0523 rotary vane compressor with a single straight manifold, I hooked 400ft coil of 1/2" black polyethylene tubing (5/8"ID) to the pump. Air gauge registered 0 psi.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/25/16 09:08 PM.

K
OP Offline
K
well i decided i wanted a water pump at the pond also so i decided to run the air pump at the ponds edge. also i was a little worried about air line freeze up in the winter with so long a run of air tubing with little drop. now the air tubing will be dropping straight into the pond from the pump house.

this past weekend i ran electric and installed 2 4x4 posts to support my pump house so i'm pretty much at the build process now.

all i need to do now is figure out air tubing and diffuser(s). confused

i was thinking 2 9" membrane diffusers with a check valve to help prevent freeze up. are the check valves built into the difussers or is that something added separately?

as for airline, bigger is better? i was thinking 75ft of 1/2 or 5/8.

S
S
Matalla disk diffusers have a built in check valve. The disk covers the hole at loss of air pressure. I think some other brands do too.

You will not be sorry having electric at the pond. You might need to charge your cell phone while fishing. grin Even though I mostly use battery powered tools for things like dock construction, still is handy to have electric near for the chargers, etc.

As far as hose size, adequate is for sure better than too small. But bigger than needed just wastes money but will not hurt the installation. Flow (cfm) and distance is what determines hose size needed. Someone on here will have access to a chart or rule of thumb.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Last edited by snrub; 05/30/17 01:12 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
kimber your setup sounds a lot like mine. I ran 80 feet of weighted 5/8th inside diameter line to my 3 station diffuser. Not sure of your pond size? , but with the correct pump you can run 2 or 3 fusers. IMO when it comes to making tiny bubbles more the better! Go with weighted hose though you will be happy you did. I also went from my air pump to the weighted hose with about 8 foot of plastic tubing in half inch diameter. I bought a 1/2 to 5/8ths brass adaptor so I could fit both hoses together with a couple of hose clamps.

Good Luck
RC,

Oh one thing you may want to consider. I also put a 10 or 12 inch heater hose I got from Auto Zone on first in front of my plastic tubing as them pumps get pretty darn hot and I did not want that pump melting my plastic tubing. Just FYI.

C
C
My setup is also very similar. I purchased my tubing and the Vertex disks from http://shop.hoosierpondpros.com/Aeration_c3.htm
He is a sponsor and active member here. These are only the diffusers so like many I built my own bases and sunk them in my pond.
I ended up running air from my house but was only about 80 feet to the water line then the weighted hoses from there.
Like RC I did the same with the heater hoses. There is tons of information on here for DIY setups.

The vertex disks have a built in check valve as well.
Dave

Thanks
Dave
1 acre pond.
K
OP Offline
K
thanks for the tips guys.

i'm running 1/2" reinforced flexible marine hot water hose from the pump to a 6 gang aluminum manifold to cut down on vibration. from the manifold i plan to go straight to the weighted 1/2 or 5/8 air line.

C
C
the 5/8 weighted is 1/2 inch inside diameter. Just FYI

Thanks
Dave
1 acre pond.
W
W
Originally Posted By: Custom 68
the 5/8 weighted is 1/2 inch inside diameter. Just FYI

You can also buy it 5/8 id. That's what I used.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday