Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 728 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
CMM Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Fishing tonight, a snapping turtle followed me all over the pond. He was locked onto the anchor rope the first time I saw him and I was afraid he wouldn't let go. I am afraid a bad word slipped out. Later, in a different location, he stuck his head out of the water and had his body under the boat. I hit him with the paddle. Another bad word. Later yet, I heard bumping under the canoe, then saw lots of bubbles and a shadow I believe was him again. I don't know if he is in love with the boat or if he thinks it is something to fight, but I have never had a turtle follow me around the pond unless they were after my stringer. This one may have to die; I must admit, I was uncomfortable seeing this large, normally shy, animal so aggressively interested in me/my boat.

Anyone else have similar experiences? Is it breeding season?
CMM

CMM

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Hoist him into the boat with you, and have a chat. Maybe you can discern his motive. At the very least it will be a character building exercise for you both. Probably more so for you than him. grin

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
R
R
Sounds rabid NOT just joking

C
CMM Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Sparky, you sound like you have experience. Maybe you want to come do some one on one therapy with him. I will take pictures, and pay you in beverages and maybe friend turtle if the therapy doesn't work out. You may want to rethink putting him into the boat though, he may be over the recommended weight. That sucker is BIG, at least he seemed that way when we were nose to nose.

RRWJ, I really think it was love, not rabies, but I can see where the two could be confused. Similar symptoms.

CMM

CMM

J
J
Here in Louisiana that snapping turtle would be simmering in a flavorful sauce

A
Online Content
A
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Hoist him into the boat with you, and have a chat. Maybe you can discern his motive. At the very least it will be a character building exercise for you both. Probably more so for you than him. grin

CMM, be sure to wait until a storm is approaching before doing this with a big snapper. Some turtles only let go when it thunders.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Aren't they naturally very curious animals?

Fishing has never been about the fish....

C
CMM Offline OP
OP Offline
C
JD, free to a good home, come on up.

anthropic, I had heard that.

Zep, cool video, no doubt. That ugly son of a gun does look a bit curious.

Maybe I can use a scuba diver as a decoy so I can fish in peace.

Cmm

CMM

Cmm, I have many in my pond and many I've removed (2 over 50lbs), but I haven't had any follow me around, let alone in a canoe!

Yet, I feel your pain and have said a few bad words myself regarding those creatures.

Somehow I hooked it while fishing with my brand new fly rod, less than 24 hours old!

And most of those bad words were said after he snapped it in two! (it was my fault of course but I feel better blaming the snapper smile ).

Luckily it was a Saturday morning and I was able to run to Cabelas for a free replacement grin

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
S
S
That video is pretty wild Zep. When I was younger with my small kids snorkeling I would catch regular water turtles by out swimming them and with my hand on their back pressing them against water flow till I could get hold of them such that they would not scratch me to death. Maybe 6 or 8" across the back of the shell. They have sharp claws.

But the only snapper I recall running across while snorkeling was in a very clear strip pit in about ten feet of water on the bottom. I held my breath, dove down to get a closer look, and about half way down it started swimming at me full speed with mouth open. He was having none of my inspection intentions. We broke off and left each other alone after that. So after that experience I decided to give snapping turtles in the water a wide berth.

As tame as that one was I'm guessing it is regularly fed and has become a pet. Had one yesterday as I was feeding fish come up to the bank (while I held very still and waited) within a few feet of me. Slowly brought its head up almost to water surface, looked at me a few seconds, and slowly sank back down out of site.

They seem to come and go in my pond. Be there a while then gone. Now my red ear sliders, they are feed trained! They come around for feed just like the fish.

Last edited by snrub; 07/22/16 02:58 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
C
CMM Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Oh Keith, the pain. Glad you got your replacement though. Now get a hsb with it.

snrub, I am learning about snappers. I did not think they would normally go after a swimmer. Now I am even more inclined to get rid of this one.

Cmm

CMM

Originally Posted By: CMM
Oh Keith, the pain. Glad you got your replacement though. Now get a hsb with it.

snrub, I am learning about snappers. I did not think they would normally go after a swimmer. Now I am even more inclined to get rid of this one. Cmm

Cmm, Dealing with some health issues I went out this morning using the conventional rod as I just didn't have it in me to grab the fly rod, but caught two HSB (3.3 lb being the largest) and 4 LMB (largest, 3.5 lb). Dangit! If things are better tomorrow morning I'll grab the fly rod but that's the best luck I've had in the morning for months!

On the snappers, I and everyone else are too afraid to even dangle our feet over the edge of the dock (considering that's also where I feed from!). I've seen too many up close and personal, including some experimenting on the lightning speed of their neck and power of their "clamp"!

I prefer to keep all my toes!

(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

C
CMM Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Looks like you have turtle and fish supper right there.

Fishing is fishing! Glad you caught some nice fish.

Cmm

CMM

S
S
Originally Posted By: CMM

snrub, I am learning about snappers. I did not think they would normally go after a swimmer. Now I am even more inclined to get rid of this one.

Cmm

I've never heard of a snapper going after a swimmer. I've always wondered if they would bite a wader (like someone seining) but in all my 62 years have never heard of anyone getting bit by a snapping turtle unless they were messing with it.

The turtle that came after me (a modest size one, not all that big) wanted nothing to do with me. I think the only reason it came at me with open mouth was I was actively diving down from the surface and swimming straight towards it.

As soon as I broke off my pursuit of looking at it, it also broke off and swam quickly away from it. I took it more as a response a coyote would do. They run away from humans, but if you get them cornered where they can not escape, look out!

Last edited by snrub; 07/23/16 11:10 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Snrub, I would agree with you, I just don't want one of those to get curious about my toes dangling in the water over the edge of the dock!

Seeing that neck extend, and at that speed, clamping down with that much force,,,, well.....

Call me snapper-shy!

C
CMM Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the clarification Snrub! I am not sure it changes my mind about his ultimate fate though. Unless this turtle moves along quickly, or at least falls out of love with my canoe, he may not make his next birthday party.

I will report back after the next canoe trip.

Cmm

CMM

C
CMM Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Safely fished for an hour or so with no amorous snapping turtle! Whew.

CMM

Thanks for the update, nice thread!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails