Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
C
C
Setterguy, rope grids are not needed in my opinion. The soilfloc floats on the surface and spreads around a bit on its own (even a light puff of wind will cause it to move around). Thus even if you put it in perfect 'lanes' it will move around on the way down.

I found that if applying from a boat that a 6' width was good. About 3' of that was you in the boat and the other 3' was the area of untreated water in front of you that you were throwing into. I marked 6' widths on the shore with a cheap paint can (any rattle can you have left over) Then I had 1 rope on front of boat and one rope on back of boat, each rope long enough to reach across entire pond. One person on each rope and slowly move boat across while I spread product. Then the shore folks move to the next mark on the bank and you start back across the other way.

This way I had an even 3' of open water to broadcast the powder in and with the powder moving slightly on a calm day you still ended up with a good overlap and good coverage. If you are worried you can always go back and retreat trouble areas with another 'coat'

I have a thread that gives much more (painful) detail if you care to read it.

Last edited by canyoncreek; 07/07/16 10:57 AM.
canyoncreek, I'd like to see that thread. I'll try a search.
I will only have one other person up there (wife) so I'm not sure if we could get it rigged up to pull the boat across, and stay in line.
Did you throw out the back or side of the boat? Did you throw down bentonite also? I'm hoping that will help it sink more quickly.
I'm going to use 5 gal buckets for the two parts and bentonite. I haven't figured out how much to put in a cup, and how much surface area that will cover.
Also, did you turn boat around at each length completed, so that you were always throwing out the back of the boat, and not pulling the boat through the thrown polymer?
Lots of questions. I've only got one bag of each, hoping for a decent result with least amount of $$$$..
Saturday forecast is clear with 87 degrees, and a 4 mph wind out of the north. That's as good as I'm going to get. The pond is completely surrounded by tall trees, so it doesn't get much wind anyway.
Thanks
Jeff

Last edited by SetterGuy; 07/07/16 11:15 AM.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
C
C
My pond is only 100' across, 200' long. I did back/forth on the short axis with 100 foot ropes on front and back of boat. I sat sideways in the rowboat with 5 gallon buckets in front of me. I had a white bucket for A and colored/dark bucket for part B. The boat didn't turn around, the shore team just slide me down the pond another 6' or so and then back across. They slid me from the treated to the untreated so the product on the water was always under or behind me (as I faced the untreated water) Pictures in this thread will help:

SoilFloc tutorial

If you have only one person and it isn't too windy then another idea is to drive a stout stake into the ground on each side and run a rope between stakes. Then your wife can be in the boat and hand over hand move the boat along the rope and then at the other side, get out, move the boat about 6-8 feet over restake and do again.

Or if there are lots of trees, just anchor to a tree on each side. You could also cable clamp a section of pvc pipe to the boat and let the guide rope go through the pvc to keep you on track.

Don't get too stressed, many have just used a trolling motor to move around. Some overlap doesn't hurt and you will be able to see by the plume on top of the water where the product is.

If you are treating the whole pond then some idea of keeping boat on a grid helps to use limited product to the best potential by even distribution. If you are focusing on a certain area where the leak is then you can just spot treat there with a trolling motor.

I didn't use bentonite. The theory behind bentonite is to give more particles in the water, more mass for the polymer to grab on to and drive down into the leaks at the bottom. My water was clear and the bottom absent vegetation, I think my part A and part B of the soilfloc found its way down just fine.

You are supposed to throw cup fulls of the product into the water. I chose to use a hand crank grass seed spreader. I took a half cup measuring cup and took 1/2 cup of part A and put in the spreader hopper, then 1/2 cup B and then 1/2 cup A and 1/2 cup B using even ratio/layers of A and B till the hopper was full. Then as boat was moving, I steadily turned the crank which mixed product and spread it in a nice even mist on the water. I feel this gives a good even coating but the factory specs say a clump tossed in of A followed by a clump of B roughly in the same area is just as good. I think our coverage looks better as you see an even film. This film spreads out a bit before it sinks and with each lane of the boat overlapping a bit I think we had good coverage.

The 2 units that I did roughly covered more than my 1/4 acre so I ended up going back with the extra and almost recovered the whole area again.

I'm losing water again but our ground water is low, drought conditions here and high heat and high evaporation. I have pumped it up a few times already. However, when I drive sticks into the bottom you can clearly feel a hard skin give way as the stick is going through the congealed soilfloc layer then hits the sand below it.

When we hit full pool after the next big rain, I hope to apply the little I have left in buckets in my basement just for good measure.

Hope that helps.

It does. Thanks!

RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
Otter attack in 2023
Quick update. We got the soilfloc down. Clean up is worse than the application process.
I didn't take any pics. My wife and mother in law manned the ropes and pulled me back and forth in 6' swaths. I spray painted the 6' markings along the pond edge.
Started out with no air movement, but about half way through a bit of a west wind kicked in. So, we have some soilfloc piled up against the east bank. We had 4.5" of rain in the last few weeks. We got a 3" bump from the first 3" of rain that came over a 36 hr period.
Then we had a 1.5" rain that came down in an hour. We got about 8" rise from that. I'll measure the water drop and see if thenleak slows down. I had lost about 4.5' of water since Jan first. We had a 3" rain in May, that was the only moisture we had except a few easy <.5" showers.
Hoping I don't see any fish killed.

Otter attack in 2023
C
C
SetterGuy, Great to hear that you made the polymer go to work for you. You are right, you can't clean that stuff up, water only makes it harder to work with. We ended up leaving a pile of goo on the bank of our pond from trying to hose it out of the boat. That slippery spot stayed slippery for months and more than one person almost hit it and ended up in the pond.

So was the leak near the east end where the product piled up? Or you weren't sure? You said you had 2 units, did it cover the pond adequately?

Did you toss in a cup or use a spreader or what worked best for you?

I doubt you will have a fish kill as the ruckus of the boat going back and forth usually sends the fish away.

Keep us posted. You will love the clear water that you will have for the next week or so (providing it doesn't rain)

I really think 90% sank pretty quickly. The leak, I suspect, is near the base of the dam, which is on the north end of the pond. I coated it pretty heavily.
I just had one unit, one each of parts A and B. I should try to actually measure off the area I covered, but the pond width varies so much, it would be a pain to calculate sq ft.
I had two 50# bags of bentonite. I threw it down with every shift of the boat. I used a small handheld spreader for the actual distribution of the soilfloc.
Went back down to the pond late yesterday. There was still a small film on the surface on the east side, as the wind stayed out of the west. A few small white clumps floating around but few and far between. It was hot so I jumped in. I didn't swim into anything.
Fish all seem fine. The feeder is in the south east corner. I threw out a few handfuls of feed, and had a lot of feeding, even though it was still early. The HBG were feeding on me when I was swimming/floating. I wish I'd never have put those buggers in there.
I did take one pic, before I got in the boat. After that I, and the two ladies, were covered with soilfloc, and there was no chance for pics. I had the two parts of soilfloc behind me in the boat, and rotated around to fill the spreader. The bentonite was at my feet in another five gallon bucket. They pulled me back and forth in 6' sections. There was some current stirred up by the boat, when I was being pulled with the stern first. (Me sitting in the stern.) When pulled bow first, I was in the back and there was no current, and I felt like the soilfloc was going down smoother. It is a VERY small rowboat, bought very cheap on eBay. It barely holds me (240#), and the three buckets of material. I had about 1" of freeboard on the stern. The benefit of that was that the spreader was about 6" off the water when I was cranking the handle.
My set up: now that I see the picture, I notice I shifted the buckets around after I took it. The two soilfloc buckets went in the middle, and the bentonite bucket went in the stern.

Otter attack in 2023
Notice the water level is down 4'. It was worse until recent rains. We have been in a pretty serious draught up here until last weekend. The leak is probably half the water loss, evaporation accounts for the rest.

Otter attack in 2023
B
B
Just finished up adding 4 1/2 units of Soilfloc that I ordered two weeks ago. Thanks to the forum members for their posts and advice that I have tried to follow the last several months in making up my mind on what to do. I have a 1/2 acre pond approximately 13' deep that was constructed 15 years ago in Central Illinois. The top 8" or so of the original soil was sandy loam, but anything below that was what we call blow sand, just like a beach. When the pond was constructed, it was lined with local clay, although it did contain some rocks. Bentonite was also mixed in. The pond never filled adequately and then a 84' deep well was drilled nearby to supply water (water table 40' down). This filled up the pond within a matter of weeks. As long as I had the well running continuously (1 1/2 hp pump), the pond stayed full and would even go over the outlet pipe. However, I got tired of spending over $100 a month just on electric usage for the well. After I decided it was enough, the pond dropped considerably over a matter of weeks until it finally stabilized with just about 4 feet of water. Two months ago I pumped the water down to about 2 feet deep (since the water line seemed to stabilize at the 4' mark). I then had the original contractor come back in and re-work the pond (without bentonite. When it was originally constructed, he just used a backhoe and a D-6, then ran a box scraper over it. 15 years later ha had huge JD Tractor (probably 200K new) with an implement on the back that had 4 huge tires of probably 1 ton each used to compact the soil. After he was done I began pumping water in again and only took 17 days from 2 foot of water to 13' on a 1/2 acre pond. I shut the water off last week to see if it would stay, and dropped about 4 inches in 3 days. Not too bad, but would like better. I then cranked up the well again and filled it back up as far as possible to make sure I got as much head pressure for the Soilfloc to work. We put part A and part B each in 5 gallon buckets and drove around the edges with a golf cart and applied with a 2 cup measuring cup throwing it out as far as we could get. Then took the small boat out with enough rope to stretch across the pond. A person on each end of the rope, opposite from the pond, pulled the rope back and forth. Rather than going back and forth across the pond and wanting to make sure we had enough Soilfloc, we actually did a circular pattern around the pond and working ourselves inward. That way if I did run out of the material, it would be in the center of the pond where it was obviously the deepest and the location of where it seemed to hold water. There is no wind, but after 2 hours the SoilFloc that is still on the surface seems to go to the southern 1/3 of the pond, which is the side against the dam. Maybe this is a sign it is getting drawn to a leak, I don't know. But am keeping my fingers crossed it will work!

I'm hoping I put mine down heavy enough. After reading your post bjm83, I'm thinking I may have tried to cover too large of an area with one unit. I marked the current water level on a 2x2 before I left earlier today. I'll see how it is next weekend.

Otter attack in 2023
Fingerling
Fingerling
This last June, I applied soilfloc to a ½ acre pond. Our decision to use Soilfloc was because of the logistics of draining the pond.

Applying 3 units of Soilfloc was prescribed to treat ¼ acre of the pond, targeted area was near the dam.

I roped my father in-law into helping me, mainly manning the ropes we strung across the pond. We used ropes approximately 3’ apart to help with determining square footage for treatment.

The application process went smoothly. I used my small pontoon boat as guide for length and our ropes as width.

After treating, I started noticing the difference in water clarity and in 2 days our seepage area started slowing down. On July 3rd, I put in a measuring stick to determine success. I found that my water loss was mainly evaporation and not due to seepage. The area on backside of dam is dry as a bone and we have more water this year than last year.

I am impressed with the product and support I received from TJ.

laugh
Good land management is an extended learning experience-Aldo Leopold
C
C
Josh your application rate seemed spot on and I imagine you went more heavy at the base of the dam since you knew you had seepage there. I also bought 3 units but my pond was perhaps 1/4 acre instead of your 1/2 acre. I probably could have gotten by with 1.5 units or even 2. I ended up putting in 2 units but had to go and retreat pretty much the whole pond to use up the entire 2nd unit. I intend to retreat the remaining 1 unit for 'good measure' when I get a nice calm day.

Great to know it worked so well for you.

Keep us updated SetterGuy

Update. No way to tell if it's working. We had 1 1/2" rain. Pond came up 4". Had some runoff, but not a lot. Marked everything again, pond is down 33 7/8" from full pool.
Have rain in the FC again on Sunday. After that it's 10 dry days with 90+ degree temps. Hopefully then, I'll be able to see if it's working.

Otter attack in 2023
Fingerling
Fingerling
I did go little heavy near the sections i determined the seepage to be at, but I will finish up my treatment later this year. The water level has only dropped mainly to evaporation. Its been a great sight to see at this pond. Last year it was 2-3' lower.

laugh
Good land management is an extended learning experience-Aldo Leopold
B
B
Just an update on my Soilfloc treatment on 7/9. I am very pleased at the results so far. After one week with no rain, my water depth only dropped 1" and I suspect that was due to evaporation. I turned on my 1.5 hp well over night and between that and a 1" rain it brought the pond back up to the highest it's ever been. One thing I noticed is that around the edges of the pond (where I seemed to apply more of the product), actual soil particles seemed to be very noticeable. Before treatment, you could see the hardpan of the bottom and track marks from the compaction equipment. After treatment, you could really tell that soil particles were brought down and settled on the bottom. That leads me to believe the Soilfloc is working by drawing any suspended particles in the water down to the bottom to fill any voids and cracks. Oh and I have to throw this out there as others have said as well....it's very slick! My neighbor informed me yesterday he went down the other day to take a look at the pond. He was standing on top of the outflow pipe that must have had some Soilfloc in it, and sure enough he slipped and went face first in the water!

I see everyone talking about "units". Everything I see online is in lbs. How many pounds is a unit? What is the price of a unit? Where are you purchasing at?

Thanks guys!

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Hi Peach:

I can offer Pond Boss family a discount making it the cheapest available, below wholesale direct from the manufacturer. Happy to assist in any way I can, feel free to ping me via PM or email I can address all your questions.

TJ

tj@hudlandmgmt.com

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

J
J
A unit is two 55 pound bags; one each of A and B. A half unit (smallest available) is two 27.5 pound, 5 gallon pails, one each of parts A and B.

Well, according to climate.com I received another 2-3" of rain last night, and it went through very quickly. I suspect the pond received a lot of runoff. I'll go up tomorrow to check, but won't really be able to tell if the soilfloc treatment has done anything.
But I do LOVE finally getting some RAIN!!

Otter attack in 2023
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Have you been measuring your daily water loss prior to this rain? Any changes from before treatment? Wet spots that have dried up?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Have you been measuring your daily water loss prior to this rain? Any changes from before treatment? Wet spots that have dried up?

TJ, I seriously hope I am one of soilfloc's most dramatic success stories. I'm just having a bit of a difficult time proving it. I was down 4' when I got ready to treat. Then it came up 6" right before I treated. Then it came up another 6" after that. No telling how far it will come up this time. And, of course each rain has different runoff characteristics, so just taking a look at what's in the rain gauge won't help either.
I'll know in the morning, what the level is. I'll mark it, and start over.
The truth is, I needed rain so bad, I'm really pleased to get every drop. It just isn't helping the science of measuring soilfloc results..
I will see it tomorrow, and then won't see it again until Aug 3rd at the earliest.
Jeff

Last edited by SetterGuy; 07/20/16 05:55 PM.

Otter attack in 2023
TJ,
Update. We had 2"+ rain earlier this week. My rain gauge is showing 4" for the month.
It brought the water up another foot. So, now I'm up 18" from when I treated the pond. I'm up 2' from the lowest point, before the draught ended.
I marked it at 24 1/4" below the bottom of the pipe.
I will be back up on Aug 3rd and get a measurement then. I don't get a lot of wind on the pond, but I do lose a fair amount of water to evaporation. Earlier I had a 5 gallon bucket of water sitting on the dam. It lost about 1/2" of water to every inch the pond dropped.
So my leak essentially doubled the evaporation rate.
I'm hoping the increased hydraulic pressure from this extra 2' of water will help force the soilfloc into the leak..

Otter attack in 2023
L
L
It is ironic that we spent our money for SoilFloc on a trip to Disney, and are now in the midst of a serious drought. Every time rain is in the forecast for days... the day gets here and nothing happens. The good news is my leak has slowed and I am only down 13 inches after three months of only 2.5 inches of rain. Still, I can't help but think that a treatment would have saved me several inches of water and allowed me to finally mow the dam backside swamp.

I wish I would have only been down 13". Our drought went from Jan 1 to mid May, with maybe an inch of moisture, and I was down 4'!
This crazy heat appears to be bringing in some severe thunderstorms. We were supposed to be dry for the next 10 days, but I see a orange/yellow storm passing over the farm now. Those heavy downpours don't help my farmer neighbors up there, but they do add water to the pond.
I hope your drought ends soon. But I wouldn't wish this 99 degree weather with high humidity on anyone.

Otter attack in 2023
L
L
I'm right in the midst of the orange stuff in Western NY.
http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/RegionalDroughtMonitor.aspx?northeast
The Niagara Penninsula has it the worst though. Huge river running through it, not a drop since mid-May.

Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump