Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PRCS, Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23
18,452 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,904
Posts557,155
Members18,453
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
6 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, cb100, gehajake, bstone261, Dylanfrely), 494 guests, and 378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#451105 07/03/16 10:03 AM
L
lbm Offline OP
OP Offline
L

Hi there, looking for some advice to fix a pond and expand it some. I had thought of this a couple years back but am just back to wanting to do it.
A pond was build on our farm in the late 90s by a contractor who had to do it as part of a ROW deal. It never held water. The dam is about 8 foot high and can easily drive a pick up over it, so pretty wide. The pond will fill with a lot of rain but drain quick. It was only made to be 1/8th acre in size at the time.
I believe the bottom of the pond is the issue as they took out some very big sand stones and did not line with clay or pack with sheepsfoot roller etc.
I'd like the pond to be 1/2 acre, it is in a nice naturally valley with a good spring. So I have been contemplating either hiring someone or maybe buying some equipment and doing it myself. I am no pro at building ponds but figure that since the dam is in place it might be worth trying to seal the bottom and expand the pond up the valley to make it a decent size.
What would be a good price on getting the pond enlarged/sealed? Range of course. ( I am hoping the dam can stay intact which ought to help the price )
If I bought say an excavator it would run at least 25k for decent size mini used and then I have a skid loader but may need a dozer which I could rent nearby. I do have uses for the excavator otherwise but am leaning a bit towards having it build if the price isn't out of sight.
Thanks for any thoughts on which way to go.

Hey Ibm,

IMO I would at least consult a pro. If the original builder didn't know what he was doing, I would think there is a fair chance the dam is not constructed correctly as well and could be a potential "gotcha" as you proceed.

...Just my 1 cent

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
lbm, I have operated some heavy equipment, but not on any regular basis. The same money you spend on a weeks rental is less than a day's work in experienced hands.

Like Bill D said, what causes you to think the dam isn't leaking, if it leaks elsewhere? After a rain, do you see wet spots on the backside of the dam?

Heavy equipment having to work around something could cause lots of wasted motion/time and end up costing you more, instead of less.

Where is the spring located? Do you have good quality clay at the dig site?

T
T
I am no expert on pond building. I have hired it done and have rented equipment to do some on my own. So, I think Rainman pretty much nailed it. First off, is there good clay to work with? From the sounds of it, you may have a lack of good clay issue. Second, I think going with a professional is most likely the best way. But, it makes one feel good about everything, if you can accomplish it all on your own. I think doing it on your own is a 50/50 shot. Just my 2cents for what that's worth smile

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 07/04/16 06:43 AM. Reason: sp

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
L
lbm Offline OP
OP Offline
L

Thanks for the input. There is good clay at the dig site but when they built the dam they basically dug down till they hit the huge rocks, pushed some of those up out of the way and didn't pack clay over the bottom. I am not certain of the dam only that this spring the water level was pretty low and I found water far below the dam running out so my bet was the bottom but you are correct it could be part of the dam also. The dam is pretty substantial and I'd hate to have to tear it out but I suppose for the pros it wouldn't be that big a deal.

I am definitely going to get a couple of contractors out to look at it ( ones who do ponds, found one on here actually close to my home in Western PA. )
My only thought as to me doing the work was that I had planned on buying an excavator at some point anyways so figured if I had it I might as well save the money etc but I would like this thing done right. Thanks again.

L
lbm Offline OP
OP Offline
L

Hi Rainman, it is a bit of a guess of course as to the leak. Mostly my recollection of huge stones being dug out of the bottom of the pond and no clay being placed over that. A lot of clay in the area but the contractors were not real interested in my opinion ( it was a freebee as part of a ROW deal for utility crossing, they had to put this pond in but I can't say they were pond builders )

I dug out there myself with my skid loader, nice thick seams of yellow/blue clay but they didn't use it...the dam hmm, not sure what is in it. And since I'd like to expand the size of the pond a new contractor may just want to rip it out and start over...it is just a puddle now.

Two springs are up the valley of the pond. One up on the hill above pond and one runs right down valley into pond. They flow better in spring of course but they should be fine if only it held water.
Thanks for advice. I will post a pic of the site ( pretty grown up right now but it might help a little, maybe before and after pics I hope.)

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
The current dam does not necessarily need to be completely removed. It could be used on completely or partially, either the front or back side of a new, properly constructed core trench. You could have a dam a mile high, but if there is and opening anywhere for water to flow through, that is as high as the pond will ever stay at....

Last edited by Rainman; 07/05/16 05:27 PM.

J
J
Originally Posted By: Rainman
You could have a dam a mile high, but if there is and opening anywhere for water to flow through, that is as high as the pond will ever stay at....

But, I bet at that height, the base would be well compacted! And, if the lake was on the windward side, it would get lots of rain! LOL.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Is brown/yellow water always clay?
by cb100 - 03/29/24 05:15 PM
Pond stand pipe blocked
by cb100 - 03/29/24 05:13 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by gehajake - 03/29/24 04:44 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by bstone261 - 03/29/24 03:55 PM
Prayers needed
by FireIsHot - 03/29/24 02:32 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 01:59 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by J. E. Craig - 03/29/24 10:55 AM
pond experience needed
by FishinRod - 03/29/24 10:13 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification
by Mike Troyer, October 6
Sharing the Food