Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,083
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Theo Gallus, BillyE, Sunil, Requa, Jason D, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn), 762 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I agree with Bill. How many acre feet of water do you have in your pond?

The only reason I use Phyco is if there are trout/koi in the pond, or if it is used for drinking water. I use Cutrine Plus liquid/granules otherwise.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Beretta Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciate it. I done a test run of treating 1/3 of the pond tonight on the deep side where the wind had the film pushed up. I used cutrine liquid at .6 ppm for the area and depth I covered. We will see what happens. I have a couple questions if you all could.
Bill, you mentioned a nutrient imbalance. Could you explain what your meaning by that.
Essup, on applying cutrine plus liquid, if I try to treat 1/3 at a time to .6 ppm is that even possible other than surface contact? If my math is right I'm turning my pond a little better than 6 times a day with my diffuser. So in theory if I try to do it in 1/3 at a time at .6 ppm in 4 hours I have it diluted back below .2 ppm throughout the whole pond. So I'm thinking I would have to treat my whole volume of water at once to get to .6ppm. What is your take on this?
Thanks
I have 1 1/2 acre feet of water

Last edited by Beretta; 06/30/16 07:49 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If treating planktonic algae, then yes, you'd have to treat the whole BOW to achieve the correct PPM level. If you were spot spraying or treating an area, then just calculate for that area.

I wouldn't use CU+ for treating the whole pond at once if the bloom is moderate to heavy. Too great a risk of creating a DO sag. Phyco makes O2 as it breaks down, that is why it is used in aquaculture applications to treat the whole water volume at once. MUCH less of a risk of an O2 crash.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker

B
Beretta Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Update... Well treating with cutrine @ . 9 ppm did knock it back some but the last couple days it darkened back up with visibility - 12". I got a couple water tests in the works so we will see then where we're at. For the numbers test I had to go with a reputable lake management company. Which won't be quick. In the conversation they suggested usin aquashede. I see their point on this but see mine also, so I gonna be nonpartisan and see what the opinions is on this.
I done 2 bucket tests tonight. One with alum the other with Phycomycin. Both at double dose. Results are already coming in but I'm gonna give it 24 hours and then try to post pics for you to see.
Weather has changed a bit.. Still hot but we're getting some thunderstorms every evening.
I now I have problems but I'm bound and determined to get this under control short term and long term.
Thanks

Lunker
Lunker
I am going to do an alum treatment this fall once my bloom settles down, I think it will do a better job of locking up excess phosphorus if the water isn't so green when the alum goes in. In looking at the Fremont lake treatment they waited to do the treatment until October, efficacy was likely better without an active algae bloom going on.

We had strong cold front here this weekend, my water went from green to brown very quick during the day on Saturday and I lost small number of my larger SMB due to a dissolved oxygen sag. This weekends lesson was that I need to run my aeration system 24/7 instead of just at night if my water is that green and the weather forecast warrants a longer run time. Summer cold fronts can be a fish killer. I also learned that SMB are less tolerant of low DO levels than the other fish in my pond and that redear sunfish seem to tolerate low DO levels very very well.

D
D
Have you guys seen the blue green being flushed in Florida?

New link.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
B
Beretta Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I got the overview of the water tests. They reccommended a alum treatment of 250 pounds to clear the water some and lock up some phosporus. I was told to spray it as a slurry and halfway through the process spray 12 pounds of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to buffer the ph. I questioned him on this instead of hydrated lime. He said he used baking soda and new the formula for figuring out how much to use. What are the thoughts on using this instead of lime for the ph buffer?
Thanks

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Beretta, baking soda is not nearly as caustic as Hydrated lime. It would take far more bicarb to offset the alum acidity! The guy better recheck his math....

B
Beretta Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks Rainman, that's why I double checked here first. You may have just saved my fish.
Unfortunately I've bombed today on trying to find a source for alum locally. My southern states couldn't even come up with none. I have a Helena distributer 1 hour from me that said he sat on 1000# for over a year and couldn't move it so he sent it to Michigan last Thursday. Just my luck.
I Can order it but the shipping for 250# pretty much takes it out of play.
I'm now looking at phosclear. I can get 120# shipped for $ 360. Has anyone used this and what are the opinions? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Where are you in KY? I have an extra 950# here in St Louis and could possibly meet you somewhere

B
Beretta Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks Rainman. I'm in somerset and google maps show us 5 hrs 50 min apart so I don't think that would be worth it either. I have a couple more places to check tommorow so I'm still looking. I can get it shipped ups ground for $30 per 50#. Ups freight is $50 more on 300#. Wonder how the 40# bags of optimal are getting shipped so cheap?
I done some research on the Phosclear. Thier app rate states 80# per af. That's what got me looking. But as far as I can tell it is basically just pre buffered alum. So with that I'm thinking I would need just as much of there product as regular alum for the same results. So other than the convience of Beeing prebuffered I see this option as way more expensive. Plus I can't get it local either.
Anyone have a idea where I might find alum in ky.
Thanks

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Is the UPS ground charge, $30 for just the shipping, or $30 per bag including the shipping?

I agree, the "stated" application rate on the buffered alum is okay for a low volume, closed system garden pond, but far below what real world application rates would be for a earthen fishing.

B
Beretta Offline OP
OP Offline
B
The $30 is for shipping only. Per 50#

B
B
Beretta, Jones Fish has alum and buffering agent. They have stores in Cincinnati and a little north of Nashville. Don't know how well priced they are or how close for you but hopefully an option.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Check with the closest grain elevator or agricultural supply for someone that deals with Helena Chemical; they have alum reasonable.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
Beretta Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Water test:

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If the analytical tests are correct,,, your N:P ratio is low. The Good ratio for producing a good bloom of green algae is said to be around 20N:1totalP (best range 14-50:1). Redfield Ratio. Your ratio is 2.6:1 (1.1ppm/0.41ppm) which indicates to me your pond is what we call nitrogen limited. Nitrogen is too low for producing a good bloom of green healthy algae.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/25/16 09:22 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by Requa - 03/28/24 01:39 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images