Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,126
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,421
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
17 members (rjackson, esshup, jpsdad, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg, Fishingadventure), 889 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#449716 06/14/16 12:47 PM
S
OP Offline
S
So I have a bad infestation of watermeal. I tried using Diquat (Reward) and it barely touched it, if at all. I finally ordered Clipper. Anybody have any success to talk about? I'm anxious to see it all gone.

Lunker
Lunker
Use the proper rate, applied correctly, and you should be pleased with the results. Preferably conduct your application in the early-AM, when water-pH is the lowest.

S
OP Offline
S
I'll test it when the day comes that I apply, I tested yesterday just to make sure I didn't have to order anything else and it was around 7pH.

I have a .4 acre pond, I was going to use around 3-4oz in a 2 gallon sprayer with a surfactant. I have an aerator so that will be running to help with the DO levels.

S
S
What are the DO levels? I also have a aerator running. Is it best for it to run while applying?

T
T
I have a pond about the same size as yours and had the same problem with duckweed, water meal, and coontail a couple years ago. I sprayed with Clipper and a surfactant twice that year. First time I sprayed it, it knocked out about 85% of it, second time was just to clean up the remaining. Thanks again to Esshup for the advice on mixing and application. Last year and so far this year my pond has been free of any of them. I am very impressed with the Clipper herbicide. The thing I like most, is that it doesn't take much and its a contact herbicide, so you don't have to worry about outflow of the pond like some of the chemicals. I wish I knew you were looking to buy some Clipper, I have two unopened one pound containers that I am looking to sell and will make someone a good deal on them, if interested pm me. When I bought the Clipper, I thought I was going to have to treat the whole body of water, not just surface treatment, so that's why I have the extra two pounds. I also did the ph test and sprayed early in the morning.

S
OP Offline
S
troy...somewhat of a dumb question...how did you get all the stuff in the middle...or did you just walk around the bank spray and hope that it spreads out over the entire pond? I thought about trying to wait until it blows to one side (which it does form time to time). But I want it gone. Also, I put in a planted lily plant and I was wondering if I should pull that out of the water before I spray so the Clipper doesn't kill that.

T
T
I used a jon boat with a trolling motor on it and sprayed from that with my back pack sprayer. The bulk of my problem was around the perimeter of the pond from the bank out about 10 or 12 feet all the way around. Their was a couple patches out in the middle and I sprayed those also. It would have been about impossible to hit it all from the bank, so a boat is very helpful if you have one. Not sure on the lily, maybe one of the pros can answer that question. If it was me and it wasn't to much trouble, I would take the lily out to be safe.

S
OP Offline
S
I have a kayak so I can paddle around in the middle and hit those areas. Good to know. It's a single potted lily that has grown nicely this year and I would hate to lose it. SO yea, i can pull it out. Did the 4 oz sound around right?

T
T
Its been a couple years since I applied it to my pond, but I remember it took a very small amount. I remember its more about the total area you are trying to spray and not so much a ratio of so much product to so much water. I have it wrote down at home. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable guys will chime in if you have questions. I run aeration in my pond 24/7 all year round and also use pond dye in the summer. I think this has helped a lot with the weed problems also. When I bought my place about 5 years ago, the coontail was so thick you couldn't even fish it, your bobber and bait would lay on top of the weeds. Come to find out, the "stocked pond" wasn't so stocked. It took some hard work the first couple years to get the pond cleaned up and stocked, but its nice to finally be able to enjoy it. Especially watching the grandkids catch fish, makes it all worth it.

S
OP Offline
S
I sprayed Sunday. I used about 6-7 ounces in 12 gallons of water. Sprayed the whole pond. The pH before spraying was around 7. We will see how it turns out.

S
OP Offline
S
So, everything seemed to be dying off. Then yesterday there was a good rain and this morning it seems like everything is green again. Can it come back that quick? It was so close to being gone.

Originally Posted By: Stephen L
So, everything seemed to be dying off. Then yesterday there was a good rain and this morning it seems like everything is green again. Can it come back that quick? It was so close to being gone.
You may be getting reinfested. I have lakes and ponds that get fresh watermeal and duckweed every rain or when the wind blows it from the swamps. I have only had one failure (actually partial control) with Flumioxazin so check your inflows. When we did the first trials on Clipper for watermeal we hit 200ppb everytime and always had success. If you are treating a portion of your pond it is possible it floated away from the treatment zone overnight. Clipper is a cell membrane disruptor(PPO Inhibitor) which means you need to get the product close. Fluridone will travel in the pond and by the next day you should have the same concentration shore to shore. Flumioxazin will move some but proper application is important. We don't even use Fluridone on watermeal anymore. Too difficult to control.

S
OP Offline
S
So, I relaxed...let Clipper do it's thing..and WOW. I am finally amazed. So happy that all the hard work paid off. Look at the results:

I run the diffuser 24/7. No dead fish. I kayaked out to the diffuser yesterday and I saw all the minnows up at the surface. Was never able to see that before.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
When applied correctly, Clipper works wonders!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Stephen L
So, I relaxed...let Clipper do it's thing..and WOW. I am finally amazed. So happy that all the hard work paid off. Look at the results
Those are excellent before-n-after photos.
In most cases (such as yours), it's a good thing that it doesn't work overnight! When it comes to aquatic weed control, slow and steady progress is always better than immediate gratification.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:05 AM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/29/24 07:47 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday