Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
Central PA here - NO YP eggs. We put branches in the pond first week in March - pond temps were still pretty cool 48-50, and many on PB had still not seen eggs. Now today we still have no eggs. Spring Peepers are all over the place mating and laying eggs and still no YP eggs. I feel like I need to play some Barry White music or something! Anyone around PA have eggs yet?

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
IF your feeding them you will be very please how well they grow. I didn't realize how fast perch grew. They start to slow down a bit after 11"s but up to 11"s they get there fast.

I learned last year that if the water stays a bit cooler the larger ones will grow better. I started running the aeration shorter and only at night. This was Bill Codys advice and the reasoning was that the larger perch grow better with the water staying cooler than the 80's I think.

Cheers Don.
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Loretta,
I think if your perch are ready to lay eggs they will lay eggs regardless of if the bottom conditions are not ideal or not. However my perch are completely ignoring my branches and instead are laying them on the leaves in very shallow water. My branches are out about 6' from sure with 2' of water below the branches. Then we had the big rain yesterday and now the butt end of the branches need to be pulled back up the bank. Of the 5-6 trees I put in only one has a ribbon on it and that is about 1' out from bank in shallow water, maybe 1' or so. At least for my pond, the perch seem to want to be right in the 10-12" water range and seem to like to lay them right over the oak leaves. Next to the trees I see 4-5 new ribbons all laying right on top of leaves, some in water less than 1'.

Don, my YP stocked last April, have grown pretty fast. I was a bit surprised to see some pretty small males. I guess about 5". They also seem small because they are so much more slim, than the females. Most all the small YP stocked last April are 8-11" now. I'll be very happy, if they all get to that length by next spring.

Canyoncreek, you are seeing the exact thing I am. The oak leaves are pretty thick near the bank, 90% of the 50+ ribbons I've seen are all laying in the leaves. I didn't exactly put the right type of branches out, but I'm not sure it would have made any difference. They really seemed to prefer very shallow water, next to the bank.
I imagine I'm going to have some successful hatch out of all those.

Thanks
Jeff

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
OP Offline
Rex, it must be my misjudgment of length. And that's all I will say about that.

Also, there must have been something hatching late yesterday. I almost ran back to the barn for the fly rod. All across the pond, fish were rising, and eating something. I have no idea which fish were feeding, but for about 30 minutes, there was a lot of activity.
Hopefully, they were eating mosquitos!

RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
Otter attack in 2023
B
B
Victor, I am due west of you. I saw my first yellow perch eggs on 12 March. Some were laid in dead crab grass right at the shore, another on a branch I laid out. I did not and have not seen any additional ribbons but my water hasn't been that clear due to rain. I am sure they will come, my water temp has been all over the place this year.

V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
Thanks Ben. Still nothing. I will report here or on the other YP thread currently on the forum. Fingers crossed that I didn't miss it.

D
D
Nothing in Ontario Canada here. We just got a shot of snow about 6"s over the weekend. Poor robins were wondering what the he!!

Saw the first great blue heron yesterday and sand piper/ or snipe. No toads thrilling again so we are still a month out I expect. Think we have been spoiled with such a nice winter we want spring to come right away.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Looks like YP spawned.

A pic of the 6 month old and 2.5 yr old pups

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
RAH - that YP in your picture is from last year's hatch.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
That was my guess too. Looks like the 100 3-4" YP I added last year were unnecessary. I don't think any of them would still be this small.

P
P
Nothing in Ontario Canada here. We just got a shot of snow about 6"s over the weekend. Poor robins were wondering what the he!!

Saw the first great blue heron yesterday and sand piper/ or snipe. No toads thrilling again so we are still a month out I expect. Think we have been spoiled with such a nice winter we want spring to come right away.

Cheers Don.

Dangit Don send some of natures AC down south...... It's hot!

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
April is usually cooler than June:)

OP Offline
I had 30+ ribbons. I'm assuming something hatched from all those. I have lots of fry swimming along the banks. I can't tell if they are FHM, RES, YP, or GSH though.
Walking the banks, I can see lots of spawning beds all around the pond. Could be the HBG too.

Otter attack in 2023
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I was convinced that the ribbons that I had 2 years ago were infertile. I guess the 100 YP that I added last year will still speed up the process. Now I hope to catch some LCS and SMB fingerlings. I see a lot of small fish swimming around and caught a FHM as well. Everybody should be well fed!

L
L
The water warmed enough in the pond to get this year's span pretty busy. Baby fish everywhere! Hopefully not Koi or it is time to get some SMB this fall. Too soon to tell if they are perch, since right now they all look like FHM babies to me.

D
D
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson

Cheers Don.

Dangit Don send some of natures AC down south...... It's hot!

Well we finally got some heat but again cool tomorrow. Pond is having a hard time getting to 70*F.

Perch have spawned and to my surprise some fathead minnows have showed up again.

Lots of minnow but are too small to tell what they are. What ever is going on with our perch they are re populating but not to the point we can catch them in a minnow trap. We are catching two year old perch from our first spawn so there is some recruitment. Pulling out as many ribbons as we can every year.

I really need some walleye but I can't find an Ontario supplier anywhere who has them or I can get on a list to get some in the fall. Hoo hum...

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump