Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,930
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
7 members (Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Sunil, Groundhog7, JPierson, Bobbss), 865 guests, and 202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#449871 06/16/16 04:48 PM
U
OP Offline
U
I have @ 3/4 ac. pond that was stocked by previous owner 6 + yrs ago. Has not been fished until recently. I have caught approx. 20 bream but none were big enough to eat, also has small catfish (haven't seen any big ones but have only caught one small catfish) I am assuming bream are overpopulated and looking for corrective advice, either thinning methods or stocking additional type of fish?? thanks

S
S
What are the other kinds of fish in the pond? Are there any LMB to eat the bream? Or other predators to control the bream numbers? What kind of bream? GSF? BG? other?

If the catfish has a forked tail it is likely a CC. If the tail is straight across it is likely a BH. Other possibilities but that is the likely types.

These are at least some of the questions you will need to answer for the experts to give you any good advice.

List of commonly used acronyms

Last edited by snrub; 06/16/16 07:08 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
U
OP Offline
U
These are the only two types of fish that I have seen, not sure type of catfish. there are blue herons and turtles in pond.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Welcome to the forum ugabulldog!

I suggest you not "assume" the condition of your pond before blindly throwing money/fish at it. Take this summer and fall to get to know your pond...it will change weekly. Fish it! Get some minnow traps, toss a cast net...keep records of sixe, species, body condition, gender...all the info you can on your fish. This will help build a much clearer picture of what is there.

Very few things related to ponds happen quickly....even fewer have good outcomes when done without as much info as possible.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I agree - know the facts before you make plans.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I see your in GA and this time of year the bass bite slows down with the heat... I too was in the same situation you are in when I bought my 1 acre pond. I bought it in May fished the mess out of it till Feb! Figured out what I had for the most part and what I did not have then made a plan to stock. I would fish the heck out of it and keep anything I caught even if that means taking them out into the back woods and letting the coons have a nice dinner.

Here is what I would do if you don't want to drain and start over.

1. Fish it, fish it, fish it. Fish with all types of live bait lures different stuff to see what might grab it. If said person stocked it 6 years ago you may very well have some nice bass in there you just don't know it yet.

2. If you can put on some hip waiters and walk the shore see if you can see any bigger fish? Do this when the sun is high with some good sunglasses and observe. Take some mini binoculars with you so you can get a good look. Unless your water is real muddy...

3. If you keep catching all kinds of small BG and catfish then I would start to keep them even if you just give them to the coons for a good dinner start to keep them and see what happens...

If you do this and all you continue to catch is small stuff then in the fall or early spring I would then come up with a predator stocking plan.... For example if I keep catching a ton of 4 inch BG then you know your gonna need some 12 to 13 inch bass to start eating some of them. Remember bass can eat up to 1/3rd their length. Another good reason to keep track of how long your BG are when you catch them.

If the BG are to big well then you may have to just stock 25 to 30 8 inch bass if you can get them and let them grow and eat as they grow. And you will have to help them out by keeping some of the bigger BG you can catch and they will wipe out a lot of the smaller ones. Then once you think its under control I would go ahead and try to find a place where I could get some nice 6 inch BG to put in the pond to use as breeders.... I would get like 50 to 75 this size and let them get to breeding! And try your best not to take those out of the pond. This is kinda what I had to do. Now 5 years later I have 10.5 inch BG and almost 5 pound bass and 4 pound HSB. Course I also feed my HSB and BG Aqua Max fish food which helps too. It takes time though. Patience is key!!

Good Luck and keep us posted.

P.S. I would keep ever catfish you caught and get rid of them but that's just me I cant' stand them.....

Last edited by RC51; 06/17/16 10:11 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
R
R
Years ago I saw a ponds gills size improve by saining it and keeping everything but bass. We sained it everv weekend through the summer.

R
RER Offline
R
once you determine if you have LMB or not , you can decide what to do.

I know a forum member in SE GA has advanced sized LMB bass for sale.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 09:39 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:24 PM
Concrete pond construction
by gautprod - 04/23/24 07:59 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/23/24 03:33 PM