Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M
18,498 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,946
Members18,499
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bill Cody, Boondoggle, highflyer, Theo Gallus, Lake8), 1,004 guests, and 240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#450315 06/22/16 04:38 PM
Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
Guys,

I would appreciate some plant ID help for these 2 plants.
And will grass carp control these plants???????

Plant 1 the leaves are around 2.5 to 3 inches long. Is this floating leaf pond weed (Potamogeton natans)? If not, any thoughts?

Plant 2 is growing in dense bunches. Is this small pond weed (Potamogeton pusillus)? If not, any thoughts?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
First one looks like American Pondweed or Watershield. Can't tell which one. The underside of Watershield will have a slimy covering.

Don't know the bottom one.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Top one looks like American Pondweed or Illinois Pondweed. I can't really tell the difference, but I'm with Chris on the American ID.

Not sure on bottom, maybe Small Pondweed. Good news is I think any cultivars mentioned above are beneficial, if managed, and shouldn't illicit concern.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
What made me guess Floating leaf instead of American for the first plant is the "heart" shape where the leaves attach to the stem but I'm definitely not an expert! I only have the one small area shown in the photo.

The second plant is a bigger concern as it is showing up everywhere around the pond. Hopefully, somebody will recognize it and give it a positive ID.

I'm hoping grass carp can help?? If yes, the problem I have is I don't have a source for the carp until October.

[Linked Image]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Specific ID really isn't that critical, as both can be controlled by the same chemical.

Don't look for TGC to be a magic immediate bullet - I typically don't start to see them working much until a year after stocking.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: esshup
Specific ID really isn't that critical, as both can be controlled by the same chemical.

Don't look for TGC to be a magic immediate bullet - I typically don't start to see them working much until a year after stocking.

Yep. I agree on that first plant cause it is very non-invasive, so far anyway. I could just pull it up tomorrow and it's gone. The second plant has me concerned some. It is spreading fast. I would really like to know what it is and if TGC will control it. I don't mind if it takes a year or two for the carp to get it under control.

[Linked Image]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
They will, it all depends on the plant density and how many fish are stocked. If you want faster control, Aquathol K.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
I'm fairly certain that the floating-leaf plant is long-leaf pondweed ( P. nodosus), which has a more rounded leaf-tip compared to Illinois pondweed.
As already referenced, the submersed weed is most likely P. pussillus.
I agree with Esshup that grass carp are an option for slow, but long-term control; while Aquathol K or Super K can provide quicker seasonal-relief.

Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all the inputs guys!

I've never used Aquathol. Is there a way to spot treat with it? I don't want to wipe out either species, just manage them. Also, would getting one of those weed rakes and doing some mechanical removal of the small leaf weed be a bad idea?

I do think I will stock a few grass carp this fall. How many should I get for a .4 acre pond? They will need to be at least 8 inch fish to avoid predation.

[Linked Image]
Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
A question on Aquathol. Will it harm hardy lilies, duck potato, water arum, lizard tail, creeping rush, bulrush and eel grass?

[Linked Image]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
A question on Aquathol. Will it harm hardy lilies, duck potato, water arum, lizard tail, creeping rush, bulrush and eel grass?

http://www.aquaticbiologists.com/media/51264/aquathol%20label%202015.pdf

Are those plants listed on the label?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: esshup

http://www.aquaticbiologists.com/media/51264/aquathol%20label%202015.pdf

Are those plants listed on the label?

Yes, I read the label earlier which is why I asked the question. The label only lists vegetation it is recommended to control. It does not list vegetation that it is safe for use around. I suspect it will kill some species of vegetation not listed on the label but maybe not.

To ask the question another way... Does anybody have experience applying Aquathol in ponds containing hardy lilies, duck potato, water arum, lizard tail, creeping rush, bulrush or eel grass? Did the Aquathol harm them?

[Linked Image]
Lunker
Lunker
To ask the question another way... Does anybody have experience applying Aquathol in ponds containing hardy lilies, duck potato, water arum, lizard tail, creeping rush, bulrush or eel grass? Did the Aquathol harm them?
Bill, I've learned to never say never when responding to such questions,
since Murphy's Law and Mother Nature have proven me wrong on a few occasions. wink
I would suggest that you PM the UPI rep (mfgr of Aquathol) with your question > JSlade (Member #9310)

Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Kelly. Will do.

[Linked Image]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I've seen one grass carp completely denude a 0.25 ac pond that had lots of P. pusillus and two large patches of water lilies. In 0.4 ac add only one GC then evaluate after 3-4 yrs before adding 2nd GC. You want the GC to assist in trimming plants not eliminate them. You want to remove 1/3 and leave at least 1/3 as habitat. Expect the GC to first eat much more P.pusillus than other pond weeds. When P.pusillus is gone then other plants will be consumed with fervor.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/23/16 09:46 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
In my experience long leaf pondweed (aka American pondweed) has a more elongate leaf than those in the picture. Best way to tell is send me some of the seeds for a positive ID. Either way which ever the name of this type of pond weed: long-leaf pondweed(P. nodosus), Illinois pondweed, Floating, Oakes, or Spotted pondweed all have similar structure, growth habits, and all with similar or same habitat benefits. IMO all being basically equal.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/23/16 09:44 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bill C., how fast did partial control of the weeds happen after that one Grass Carp was stocked. What size was it at stocking?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
In my experience long leaf pondweed (aka American pondweed) has a more elongate leaf than those in the picture. Best way to tell is send me some of the seeds for a positive ID. Either way which ever the name of this type of pond weed: long-leaf pondweed(P. nodosus), Illinois pondweed, Floating, Oakes, or Spotted pondweed all have similar structure, growth habits, and all with similar or same habitat benefits. IMO all being basically equal.

Thanks Bill! I will send you some seeds. I assume the seed heads are the pods sticking above the surface. How will I know when the time is right to collect one to send to you?

I will also follow your recommendation and stock 1 grass carp this fall. I don't want to eliminate the vegetation, just keep it controlled.

[Linked Image]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
"" how fast did partial control of the weeds happen after that one Grass Carp was stocked. What size was it at stocking? Grass carp was 10"-11" at stocking in the spring 2008. Denuding of smallpondweed took two years and three more years to eliminate the water lilies. A bare pond with more turbid water in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

The flower/seed head above the surface contains the seeds. Let it develop at the surface for 2-3 maybe 4 weeks and send 1 or 2 nice large ones to me. I will make a close examination of the individual seeds which are unique to each pondweed species. Hopefully the seeds are unique enough that speciation will be relatively easy. I have some long leaf pond weed so I can compare the actual seeds.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/24/16 06:58 PM.

Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody

Thanks Bill! I will send you some seeds. I assume the seed heads are the pods sticking above the surface. How will I know when the time is right to collect one to send to you?

I will also follow your recommendation and stock 1 grass carp this fall. I don't want to eliminate the vegetation, just keep it controlled.

Bill,

Seed heads are on the way. I also sent a leaf, thinking that might be helpful. You should have them next week

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/24/24 06:22 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:21 AM