Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 183 1 2 3 4 5 182 183
H
H
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
That pond house is great! Where did you get it?

It's an Amish built shed I had modified. Be glad to get you the info if you want. Guy was great to work with. Less than two weeks from design to delivery. I know he has a location in Seneca Falls.

Pond Boss subscriber

Would those that say "it can't be done" please refrain from interrupting those that are doing it...
I
I
Turtle hunting today with air rifle.
4 big and more than 20 new born. whistle

Filippo
H
H
Got things ready for Dads 84th celebration this afternoon. Rain in the forecast. Glad to have this to duck into now. Nice to have zero buyers remorse! Chicken and venison kabobs grilled on some hickory I hung up to dry last summer and a fish fry from my brothers last salt water trip. Planning a little fly fishing derby for the boys after dinner. Going to be a great day! This will be the first get together at this spot, look forward to having everyone here.

Pond Boss subscriber

Would those that say "it can't be done" please refrain from interrupting those that are doing it...
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
What you're doing today is why we do this stuff.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
T
Well, I finished laying the air lines. 1500' of 1.5" rolled tubing, 400' of 1" rolled tubing and then 600' of 1" pvc. Added 6 T's and valves to the one inch pvc. All trenched in but not covered, YET !
The 500' 1.5" rolled tubing was a PITA and I had a few severe kinks in the line. Cut the kinks out and spliced the lines. Now I am waiting on the diffusers, weighted lines etc to show up. I am thinking that it will not be as easy as it sounds to lay the weighted line and all 6 diffusers out. This is based on laying out the above water lines.
PS, Dave you R So Right, cant wate till some of the family comes to the pond for some trophy time. smile

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
H
H
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
What you're doing today is why we do this stuff.

Yep. cool
Just got done with a downpour. Ponds will be a bit colored up, but the orchard and grass around the ponds needed it. Seven hours to party time and it looks like the rain is done, should be relatively dry by then. My Dad doesn't know about the cabin and most of people coming haven't seen the ponds yet. This area was a thicket you could barely crawl through last time most saw it. My Mom told me the general consensus was that I was nuts for selling my old house to go all in on "that brush choked hillside" Going to be a fun afternoon on the new homestead!

Last edited by Hollywood; 06/11/16 08:39 AM.

Pond Boss subscriber

J
J
I stocked my pond 3 years ago and feed every day Have caught 4.5 lb bass and blue gill over a lb all in a 1/12 acre pond .my question is which and how many fish should I harvest

J
J
I mean one and 1/2 acre pond

Pat W. and his wife came down from Oakwood to the farm yesterday for the day to visit Debbie and I. Pat and I wore the GSF and BG out in the pond. I've got way too many GSF as I did last year. I removed 300 to a neighbors forage poor pond last year. Looks like a couple hundred easily could go again this year. Pat caught an elusive LSL LMB (Leg)...I wasn't impressed with the size for being in the pond for a year. But, the water needs clearing up. Caught BC as well as some 8"+ BG all on artificial jigs. The fish are coming along slowly as the pond will be 2 years old in August. I just need to remove some more of the GSF. I'd say out of every 10 fish we caught, 7 were GSF. Not what I had planned for since I never stocked the species.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
P
P
And we had a blast

H
H
Dad's birthday party was just awesome this weekend. Showers cleared to beautiful blue skies by party time. A couple pics...
My son in law nails a dive through the tube...

My nephew with a nice RBT from the fly fishing derby. This kid is so big he makes the fish look tiny!

Another nephew with a RBT in mid fumble. The fish hit the water and took off, apparently photo shy. It was about 3.5 pounds, I believe this one was from the original stock a couple years ago. Very nice fish.

Last edited by Hollywood; 06/13/16 06:49 AM.

Pond Boss subscriber

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Hollywood, those are beautiful trout... congrats!

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
C
OP Offline
C
Well tonight the goldfish win. I had the seine net across the shallows and they were getting bold enough to hang out between shore and the net. I hand feed and there are 40-50 of them slurping up pellets. I also see perch and can also recognize a few 'slaps' of the RES coming in for pellets.

My son on one end, me on the other end of this heavily weighted, 50 foot seine. We tug furiously to try to pull them in. I can see gold streaks going every which way and man can they swim fast if they need to. We get it up on shore and somehow we have about 10 perch, 1 RES, a bunch of perch minnows, a turtle egg, a few huge ghost shrimp and ZERO goldfish.

I'm thinking that since the seine is long that the middle section might have had the bottom balloon out and flip inside out as we were towing it rapidly. I may have to put a rope to the bottom strand of netting and have a 3rd person pull in the middle and pull that rope in to be sure the bottom part of the net in the middle of the 50 foot length comes in just ahead of the top part? Perhaps go in a little slower since speed isn't so important if both ends are up on shore and they have no where to go.

Of course they are probably going to be shy for a few days, but nothing to do but reposition the net and start feeding for a few days again. It is amazing how they do condition to the feeding. I've been pumping water into the pond and the water is really clear now. You can see swarms of orange in the shallows and they seemed to not mind us watching them eat.

I'm also thinking maybe the thing to do is to have a stake out in the water at the mid point of the net so that the far end is on shore, the middle is staked, and the part from near end to the middle can hinge on the middle stake. Then the near end and the far end which are on shore could be pinched towards the stationary stake in the middle (like the pages of a book closing towards the middle) and they at least would be trapped in the middle.

Other are pros with the seine nets, ideas? I did go and add more of those home made cement weights to the middle section of the net to help keep it down as we are pulling it.

My advice.....trot line baited with canned corn or peas.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
C
OP Offline
C
Another seine, another fail. Had tons in the net, they seem to find a way out at the last minute. 3 more RES captured and this little guy was found in the grass. Never saw spines like this before. Could this be my first batch of YOY Lake Chubsuckers?

Strange spine pattern!!

long fusiform body, upturned mouth?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Looks like a Brook Stickleback...

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
A seine needs to be pulled somewhat slowly....pulling the lead line low to the ground and slightly ahead of the buoyant line to create a pocket in the seine.

Note how the lead line is ahead of the float line in this seine video.

Last edited by Rainman; 06/14/16 08:50 PM.

S
S
Have you tried trapping them? If they are used to eating feed, maybe they would go into a feed baited fish trap of the appropriate size.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
C
OP Offline
C
Rex, thanks for the ID on the minnow. I'm pretty sure that is what it is based on other pictures online. It is good to find out that the forage base was maybe more diverse than I thought in the first place. I wonder how he/she hitchhiked in? I wonder if they will successfully reproduce with some predator pressure from perch and RES?

here is some info on them:
5 spined stickleback

More info and another great photo by John Lyons:

the Golfball nest of the stickleback

Rex, also I will try to keep working on our seine technique. I agree, as the water got shallow and we got moving faster we may have lifted up the bottom line a bit or there may be natural indentations in the bottom of the pond where the goldfish sneak out. We will go low and slow next time.

SNRUB, at ice out I could readily get them to go in a trap with pellets. Now they must be too smart to go in the trap. I was searching for a smaller fyke trap (I don't need a 30 footer) to use as I think if it was a longer entry chute and a larger trap in general they probably would go in and stay in. The pyramid minnow traps they either don't go in or have found a way to get in and out freely. The metal minnow traps they won't go near.

The other option since they seem to huddle right at the same place at shore waiting for their pellet dinner, that I may be able to use progressively smaller enclosures. I could use my 25 foot seine and wrap it around 4 fence posts that enclose a smaller square with maybe one corner of the square opened so they can get in. I could just close of that corner, then go in with a net and try to net them out. It is just that netting them out may be tricky as they move fast. But I could probably scare them off to one side of the square, then divide the square in half again to make the netting of them easier.

Last edited by canyoncreek; 06/15/16 07:35 AM.
H
H
Been dry here so I watered the new grass around the ponds. Floated in the tube after and watched the birds coming in to feed. Mourning doves, Baltimore Orioles, cardinals, bluejays, rose breasted grosbeak, gold finch, chickadee, grackle, redwing blackbird, cowbirds, and several types of flicker/ woodpeckers. Quite the show!

Last edited by Hollywood; 06/18/16 06:00 AM.

Pond Boss subscriber

A
A
Yesterday I took my wife & some friends to the pond. Refilled two of the feeders, one was completely empty. Fish are still taking feed, but not as fast as they were before it got so darn hot. Fortunately, two of my three feeders are in the shade during the afternoon & evening.

Saw two crawfish holes at one end of the dam, so I guess that means no stocking will be necessary. Still very little vegetation, though visibility has cleared to a good three feet now with drier weather.

Hope to get liming and LMB stocking done soon. Aeration would be nice, too, though I'll have to do it carefully.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

C
OP Offline
C
I took the family for a much appreciated vacation today to a lake about an hour north. The lake has been challenging to fish but it has a pretty nice pumpkinseed and BG population. I'm seeing schools of bass minnows in the shallows. The lake is shallow, weedy but has a few deeper holes that may produce some pike.

When we arrived of course the kids wanted to go swimming but we were met by warning signs staked on the shoreline indicating that chemicals would be sprayed today. I guess the chemicals are done every 2 weeks for 3 applications. The company does a route of several lakes in the area. For the first time the names on the sheet sound familiar smile

Here is what they are using:
Adjuvant (cygnet Plus, PolyAn, AGridex)
Chelated Copper (Cutrine Plus, Captain, Symmetry)
Copper Sulfate (Old Bridge, Triangle Brand)
Diquat Dibromide (Redwing, Reward, Solera, Tribune)
Endothall (Hydrothol 191)
Endothol (Aquathol K(

There was a check by each chemical category and a notice for no water contact for a full 24 hours.

They came around noon and there was a stiff wind with chop. They went around each property by the docks, in the coves but I have to believe most of the chemicals blew with the wind to the other side? Perhaps it sinks quickly but today was not an ideal day for a treatment.

Any idea if this concoction is typical? I see zero FA so maybe they are only treating rooted pond weeds?

The boat drove around the place we are staying and did not treat on our frontage as the kids were in the water all day prior to the boat coming to our side of the lake.

Will the chemicals cause skin problems? I assume the chemicals from the opposite shore on a round 200 acre lake would sink before blowing across but not sure. The wind was active.

Had a great night with family and friends! Some friends brought over 4 Rainbow Trout and 1 Brown Trout which I have never had, let alone cooked. So I did some research and decided to grill it. I also grilled up some Portabella mushrooms, corn on the cob, eggplant, asparagus, squash and zucchini, all doctored up with some fresh rosemary, italian parsley, Thyme and lemons.

Dinner was great, the conversation and time with family and friends even better.

Then after dinner it started sprinkling but I took dad and our friend Doug out to the pond where they both wrangled in 2 nice HSB and a couple dozen BG.

The fun my dad had fighting that HSB and the smiles that followed are just priceless!

Truly blessed!

Dad's HSB and that big smile!

Our friend, Doug's HSB

On the downside, I had my two ultra light rods, one rigged up with a panfish assassin, the other for a worm. When I laid down my ultra light with the panfish assassin, the lure was dangling over the edge of the dock, when something decided to hit on it taking the pole off the dock out into the pond. It happened so fast, all we could do was watch cry .

But what a fun and memorable evening!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
T
T
Keith, looks like you had a great day @ your pond. I also had a great day but it was a lot different from yours. I started my 24/7 air diffusers yesterday and met up with Walt and his grandson Brandon from Overton's Fishery. We added an additional 2500+ threadfins to the pond. I already had threadfins but I wanted to up the numbers. Also added a few RES and some Tilapia. The HSB were feeding on the TFS while we added them to the pond. If the TFS were slow movers, Splash!! BAM !! They became HSB food. smile

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Keith, thanks for the invite.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Page 3 of 183 1 2 3 4 5 182 183

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??