Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,126
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,421
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
17 members (rjackson, esshup, jpsdad, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg, Fishingadventure), 889 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
First off, a special thank you to Rex (Rainman), he phoned me after I sent him a PM with some questions. After an hour on the phone I decided I want to take my next 2 week vacation going on the road with Rex! Never a dull moment grin .

Having read about every thread on muddy water, alum and hydrated lime treatments I wanted to show my jar and 5 gal bucket test results, for any interested, now and in the future.

The alum I used is the Tones spice Alum found at the grocery store.

First pick was taken 5-7-16, heavy rains came on 5-9-16:

3 weeks after rains:

The jar on the left is fresh pond water, the jar in the middle is after 10 days of sitting in a jar in the dark and jar on the right is tap water:

After adding 1/4 tsp Alum to fresh pond water. Jar on left is 1.5 hours after adding Alum, middle jar fresh pond water, jar on right is tap water:

Jar on left is same jar with 1/4 tsp, jar in middle is 30 minutes after adding 1/8 tsp alum. You can see how the alum is pulling down the particles.

Same jars, 1 hour later:

Same jars the next morning:

So now the 5 gallon bucket, adding 1/2 Tbsp alum:

Before adding alum:

30 minutes after adding 1/2 Tbsp:

1 hour after adding 1/2 Tbsp alum:

12 hours after adding 1/2 Tbsp alum:

I will do another 5 gallon bucket test using less and less alum to determine how much I might need if I decide to use it.

As Rex and I discussed, seeing that things were settling after 10 days the pond may very well settle on it's own. But on the other hand will it, with the aeration system running? With the clarity at 2-3" it's preventing any plankton bloom and fishing is tough! I've caught only one LMB in nearly 3 weeks, and it looked like this:

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 05/31/16 03:15 PM.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dang Keith, the alum even cleared the bass.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
My pond is in the same boat, it has slowly started to clear then another heavy rain event happens and it muddies it right back up. I have a fresh five gallon bucket on the dock to see how long it takes to clear on its own once again. I have my aerator running just running 4 hours a night hoping it will clear sooner. After the latest gully washer on Friday I am back down to 1" of visibility as of this evening but I am seeing some evidence of a bloom on the surface and my GSH are still eating a few pellets off the surface, every night the feeding gets a little better.

Stay tuned, I have 100 lbs of alum and 50 lbs of hydrated lime leftover from 5 years ago that I might try but don't really want too while my RES and GSH are spawning.

In case anyone is wondering, my "sexing RES project" is on hold due to muddy water.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd overdo it a little, that way any more that washes in will be taken care of.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
I will need to find more alum, last time I did this I used 150#s.

Secchi disk reading this morning is 2", my bucket on the dock is about 4" so it is slowly clearing.

Here is photo from last week, tossing pellets pushed the green towards the bank.

T
T
Keith, in your example here you did not add any lime for maintaining the pH to the desired range. Alum is an acid and I suspect it is most likely in the 4 or 4.5 range (based on my experience with chemicals in my work along with the post I have read here). So, I am guessing you have or will add lime when using the alum. So can we talk about the addition or distribution of the lime into a pond.
Recently, there was a post where the lime was added at the trolling motor and maybe, it was added to fast or not enough was added. Resulting in a low pH in the pond water. Is there any reason why lime can not be added to the alum mixture where one can check the pH of the mixture before it is added to the pond? If one could add the two chemicals together before added them to the pond, it would seam to me, this would reduce the chances of having a low pH in the pond during or after the alum is added. What do you and Rex have to say when or about mixing the two chemical together, checking the pH and then adding the mixture to the pond?

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
OP Offline
Tracy, I was just getting ready to post the below when I saw your question, and as far as mixing the alum and lime Rex said it would basically turn into a plaster of paris. And IIRC and I hope Rex will correct me, the alum is more effective with an adequate PH at 7.2. So if adding alum to an already low PH, it may not be as effective. There's also the issue of drastic PH changes when adding it and to leave "lanes" when applying the lime so the fish can escape to a normal PH if needed.

Shorty, how long has your bucket been sitting on the dock?

My secchi disk this morning showed 4" so I too think I'm slowly clearing but it's been nearly 3 weeks?

And I'm too afraid to shut down the aeration system although, I'd like to because it's been so calm lately (my pond right now is covered in cotton).

I filled the 5 gallon bucket again last night adding only 1/2 tsp alum and it cleared as quickly as 1/2 Tbsp. I'm guessing an 1/8th tsp would do the same.

Seems to me a pretty minute amount making me wonder if an alum treatment is necessary. I filled the 5 gallon bucket again this morning without alum so I'll see how long it takes. But I'd sure like to see a bloom starting!

On a good note, the fish are feeding well.

So, just a waiting game???

On my test strip this morning it shows the following:
PH 6.8
Alkalinity 40
Hardness 150
Nitrite .5
Nitrate 20

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 06/01/16 07:28 AM.

(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

T
T
Keith in my experience, most every chemical mixes better in a good pH environment. Low Ph's don't usually mix well together. So if the two additives, when mixed together, it gets thick?? So it sounds to me this might be caused by introducing the lime to fast or the Ph gets to high and it causes it to get thick. In my business I would add a thinner, but I would not do this to my pond, but I might add sodium bicarb to the mix and see what might happen? I don't think it would hurt the fish, and might even help with indigestion. smile

Tracy

PS, my sediment pond is dirty right now, I might have to do a little mixing of the alum and lime together and see what I might be able to do with it

Last edited by TGW1; 06/01/16 07:44 AM. Reason: add in

Tracy
OP Offline
Tracy, that's what I don't have, experience smile . I know Rex is on the road but I hope he chimes in. Alum/Lime treatments being one of his specialties I would guess he's tried about everything. He told me he just treated a 20 acre foot, 3 acre pond with his alum tank in front and lime tank in back. In both tanks (IIRC) he created a way to "churn" the mixtures in each tank. So if his "paddle" keeps everything churned, maybe there is a way to mix the two together which I think he's trying. (Rex, forgive me if I'm butchering up our discussion!)

He used the analogy (mixing alum and lime) of mixing starch with water. If you let it sit, even for a short time the starch will settle. Keep mixing it and it stays suspended.

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 06/01/16 07:58 AM.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Shorty, I've been considering doing an alum treatment on my pond as well and know a source I can get it for a fair price. Let me know if you're interested and we could put an order together.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
OP Offline
NEDOC, I may be interested as well!

I just need to do the math after seeing 1/2 tsp (and maybe less) clearing a 5 gallon bucket.

Again if IIRC, Rex mentioned 100 lbs per acre foot.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
Shorty, how long has your bucket been sitting on the dock?

Since Saturday evening. Friday night we had an inch of rain come down in 30 minutes accompanied by a radar indicated tornado. We rescued 4 dozen RES and a bunch of GSH out of the pasture the next morning that went through the overflow.

T
T
Shorty, that does not sound good. Rescuing fish is good but Having to do so, not so good.

Tracy

Tracy
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: NEDOC
Shorty, I've been considering doing an alum treatment on my pond as well and know a source I can get it for a fair price. Let me know if you're interested and we could put an order together.

Send me a PM and let know how much per 50# bag and what type. What I have on hand is "standard ground", I just made sure that I mixed it very well before putting it in the pond.

http://www.seedranch.com/Aluminum-Sulfate-Standard-Ground-50-lbs-p/aluminum-sulfate-standard.htm

T
T
Keith, I have been mixing chemicals together for 42 yrs. have learned a lot about mixing them. I have already learned of alum and lime mixing together just from our short conversation here. If I can find the time, maybe I can do a little researching and mixing smile I think Rex has come up with a way and sound like he is successful at it.

Tracy

Tracy
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rex told me not to mix the two together in the same tank as it was applied because it would create a paste.

Keith, in your situation, I'd bag doing anything else to the pond unless your situation changed.... But OTOH I know it's hard NOT to do anything.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: esshup
Keith, in your situation, I'd bag doing anything else to the pond unless your situation changed.... But OTOH I know it's hard NOT to do anything.

Amen! It's killing me!

My goal before I leave is to maximize the enjoyment of what I've accomplished here but I can't do that with a turbid pond and fish that aren't biting!

ARGH!

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 06/01/16 09:03 AM.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: TGW1
Shorty, that does not sound good. Rescuing fish is good but Having to do so, not so good.

Tracy

They were mostly 1-3" fish and a handful of 5"+ RES. It is not too unusual for small fish to go out the overflow when it is running good. I suppose I could put up some netting to prevent it.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Keith even my pond which is notoriously clear even in Summer is turbid with visibility under 30" - you should be seeing an inch or two clarity daily between these rain events - I wouldn't worry about it at all just give it some time. Unfortunately rain will likely become scarce here in a few weeks but it will allow us an opportunity for the clay particles to settle.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

OP Offline
Thanks for the encouragement, TJ! I've decided to be patient and wait it out instead of pouring more money into the pit smile .

Some things that had me nearly in a panic was not getting a bite in 2 weeks of fishing, except the one LMB being nearly albino, and seeing sores on nearly all BG and BCP caught.

Rex eased my mind in that the fish just can't see the bait, and the one I caught likely had his mouth open and my lure landed in it shocked and the BG likely have sores from a recent spawn.

If not for the PB family, I'd be a wreck, lol.

Yet, still LovnLivin crazy

Lunker
Lunker
Next 15 days look dry, I think you'll see vast improvement in clarity over the next several days. Is your water settling on it's own without Alum? If so, I think you're ok - can't imagine the precipitation would have caused an ionic imbalance on it's own suddenly - but I'm not a water chemistry expert.

Are your fish still feeding? If so, that relieves some of my worries about no angling action the past two weeks per Rex.

Do you have any photos of sores on the fish? Your BCP should have spawned 6 weeks ago - if lesions are fresh and not nearly healed they might be indicative of something else afoot for the BCP at least.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

What lures are you trying?

With clarity like that you need high contrast, displacement, flash, and noise. I would probably throw a black-skirted, silver double Colorado spinnerbait with a chartreuse trailer. There's also a single-Colorado blade with a rattle made by Strike-King that I like.

Also hardbaits with high-contrast color patterns, rattles and lots of wobble.

Last edited by Bocomo; 06/01/16 06:45 PM.
A
Online Content
A
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
Thanks for the encouragement, TJ! I've decided to be patient and wait it out instead of pouring more money into the pit smile .

Some things that had me nearly in a panic was not getting a bite in 2 weeks of fishing, except the one LMB being nearly albino, and seeing sores on nearly all BG and BCP caught.

Rex eased my mind in that the fish just can't see the bait, and the one I caught likely had his mouth open and my lure landed in it shocked and the BG likely have sores from a recent spawn.

If not for the PB family, I'd be a wreck, lol.

Yet, still LovnLivin crazy

Keith, let me encourage you that the water may clear up on its own. My BOW was murky for months, with lots of colloidal clay. Alum cleared up a sample, so I thought I'd have to get the water treated. But when the rains finally slowed, the water gradually got better. Now I have clarity down to 24 - 28 inches most days (though it is too acidic for a good bloom, unfortunately).

Hopefully things will work out for you as well. You can always treat the problem, but sometimes patience pays off. Good luck!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Lunker
Lunker
Keith, it sounds like your pond will clear on its own given time. Based on past experience it should clear slowly at first, then once a bloom starts back up it will start to clear a little faster and then cascade into much better clarity as the bloom gets stronger, a feed back loop. A few weeks without any more rain and warmer temps should help, it will also let you know if you need to help it along.

I am seeing reports that the storm that hit us Friday night also hit Lake Wanahoo hard and that a fish kill might be under way there.

I'm planning on treating my pond as there are ponds nearby that are always muddy and never clear. My pond has been taking longer to clear each time it has gotten muddy. My fish did feed much better tonight, my SMB were very active wacking the numerous small GSH that were pushing pellets around.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
My pond almost clears to 13 to 14 inches. And then, another big rain hits with sand running in. I had it pretty well cleared for several years by dropping trees in the run off areas. The last 2 years of heavy rains makes everything a run off area. Two weeks ago visibility had gotten to about 14 inches. However, we have had 6 inches of heavy rains in the last 10 days. Now, a chrome lure disappears at about 4 inches.

But, I'm not whining. 5 years of drought are hard to forget.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:05 AM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/29/24 07:47 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday