Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,088
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus), 746 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
OP Offline
I
Hi guys,
I'd like to start pellet feeding my BG so I've spent some time to look around about automatic feeders.
I found that nobody sells nothing similar here so I have to get it online.
I read TH are the best but I don't want to spend that much and the shipping would be more expensive than the feeder.
The only one I found I can have shipped here at about 130 bucks is the Moultrie 6.5 Gallon FeedCaster.
http://www.moultriefeeders.com/6-gallon-automatic-pond-fish-feeder
Does anyone use it? Any feedback?
They suggest me to buy, with the feeder, a 6V Moultrie rechargeable battery and a solar panel charger for others 120 bucks. Are these needed or a simple 6V battery like this http://www.velamp.it/fr/zinc-carbone/183-4r25-batteria-quadra-4r25-6-volt-8003910900615.html could make the job? How much does it lasts? I can find them for less than 4 bucks here.
Thank you

Filippo
I had 2 of the Moultie's, and they did the job I needed at the time. The one thing I might do though is to make sure you check them early and often for moisture. The bucket rusts at the bottom seams, and I would have gotten more use out of them if I had brought them inside during the winter.

AL

I
OP Offline
I
Thank you FH.
I think I could avoid rusty bucket paintng it with a silicon paint and bringing it inside in winter or covering it.
Do you use rechargeable battery? With a solar panel?
How long does the battery lasts if you don t use rechargeable one?

Anyone else have this feeder?

Filippo
Italy BASS, I didn't have solar on these, but I do on all my feeders now. The Moultrie's only have a single corn type slinger, so they really don't take much juice.

IIRC, I got 3-4 months out of a battery charge, but I would always have a spare battery and small maintainer/charger onsite. Especially if fish food is the primary food source for your fish.

AL

R
RER Offline
R
I have a Moultrie feeder with the solar battery charger. I got the 30 gallon one, It is plastic and mounts on a pole. I have had it up and running three years. All I have ever done is add food to it and adjust the time when the time changes seasonally. could not be happier with it ...

Last edited by BobbyRice; 04/25/16 01:37 PM.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
I
OP Offline
I
FH my fish have always fed (and they are feeding now too) on what they found around in nature.
Pellet food would only be an integration to speed up my BG's growth and population.
If the battery lasts for 3 months I won't spend 120 USD for rechargeable Moultrie one and solar panel. I'll change it with normal 6V torch battery non-rechargeable I can find here for less than 4 bucks.

Filippo
I
OP Offline
I
Hi Bobby,
is this the one you're talking about?
http://www.moultriefeeders.com/moultrie-30-gallon-feedcaster

Filippo
D
D
I just set this one up in our pond.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/moultrie-30-gallon-easy-lock-feeder?a=1163915

We had the one above posted by ItalyBASS. We didn't like it because to mod the spreader to be directional it was difficult and the feed would get under the spreader paddle. The Easy lock one I have posted a link to had parts that can easily be replaced and the aluminum shield I put in place for directional feeding was a snap. Just cut heavy aluminum to 2.25" tall about 6"s long and placed it in as you installed the motor base.

If you look at the two bottom spreaders they are different.

Cheers Don.

P.S. now that I have had two I have two sets of legs. We could set it out much deeper and farther off shore.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I have had one like Italybass has linked above for almost 2 years, and I have a Texas Hunter. Obviously the Texas Hunter is significantly better. But if you can put the Feedcaster out on a dock that sits over the water it throws feed well enough that its worth the money. It doesn't throw it well enough to work from shore. I purchased a Moultrie rechargeable battery and was not pleased with it. I subsequently bought one from American Hunter and that seems to work much better. I only have to charge it once per summer and mine had been used for several feedings per day. They do tend to plug whens its damp out. If you can check on it regularly that's not a big deal. If you can't check on it, I would look to purchase feed in the 5mm range.

PS They are very susceptible to damage from raccoons.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
R
RER Offline
R
Originally Posted By: ItalyBASS
Hi Bobby,
is this the one you're talking about?
http://www.moultriefeeders.com/moultrie-30-gallon-feedcaster

yes, but mine is pole mount and not on legs but other than that looks pretty much the same. nit sure if that one is plastic. Mine is basically just a black plastic drum with a lid.

this is mine , but not sure if they sel the pole mounted ones any longer?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=moul...&ajaxhist=0

I put mine on a pole out in shallow water so animal would have to swim a bit to get to it and all pellets fall into the water.

I just wade a few feed and have underwater steps right at the pole for me to reach it top.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 04/25/16 11:56 AM.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
I
OP Offline
I
Thank you guys, I really appreciate your hints.
I've just ordered the feeder without battery and solar panel. I'll try the feeder with a normal 6v battery and see if it will last a season, otherwise I'll see what to do.
About the food I have a 5mm sinking pellet and a 3mm floating.
Is it possible to mix them or is better to use only 1 type of food per time?
I'm at the pond at least 3 days per week, so no problem to keep the feeder checked.
Luckily no raccoons here smile

Filippo
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I don't know much about feed, but I see no reason not to mix them. You should be able to find a good 6V rechargeable battery and charger for a reasonable price. I got one like this....

http://www.amazon.com/Moultrie-6-Volt-Ba...ery+and+charger

And a rechargeable should be 15-20$ as well. So for 35-35$ you should be ok.

I
OP Offline
I
So I've received and installed the feeder.
Filled it with 3 mm pellets. The feed is thrown no more far than a couple of feet.
Filled with 5 mm pellets. Same as with 3 mm or maybe a little more but I'm talking of inches.
I have seen videos on youtube of the same feeder throwing pellet far away like a gatling.
This is one video
What am I doing wrong?
Is there a way to mod it to improve the range?

Another question I was forgetting.
Is there something I have to do to train fish to pellet food?
Or do they train by themselves simply feeding them daily? How long does it take?
The feeder is now set to feed 7 am and 6 pm, 3 seconds each and the pellet is only for forage fish.

Last edited by ItalyBASS; 05/17/16 03:17 AM.

Filippo
F
F
Not sure the quantity it throws in 3 seconds, but you may want to go for 1 second for the first week or so, till some of the fish start finding it.

Battery not fully charged? I don't know anything about the Moultrie.

If you can't get it to throw further, you might consider setting it up further out into the water.

D
D
A full charge good battery is a must for this feeder.

I run a good EverReady none rechargeable. I was thinking of building a sub C pack that was 7.5 volts and rechargeable with nicad's. Not sure how much extra voltage you can put to these. The next step would be to put a 6volt relay in and run 12volts to the motor.

If I can get an extra bottom motor part I might just get a relay to try it.

We run mixed 2.5mm high fat sinking and 6mm floating in ours and the water and action is just high enough now to put a second shot of 2 sec on her.

Cheers Don.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Fil, the best way that I have found to train fish is to add some fish that have been feed trained. The others follow their example.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Mine has never thrown far. But I don't really need it to as I have it on my dock. Mine also plugs quite a bit this time of year when moisture is high. Also not a big deal because I usually set mine off manually every few days.

D
D
Originally Posted By: NEDOC
Mine has never thrown far. But I don't really need it to as I have it on my dock. Mine also plugs quite a bit this time of year when moisture is high. Also not a big deal because I usually set mine off manually every few days.

The new spinner wont clog up like the old one. There is a funnel shape under the spinner with more clearance then the old spinner motor end.

See attached picture. Then take a look at the bottom of your feeder.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Excellent. Thank you.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
Originally Posted By: NEDOC

The new spinner wont clog up like the old one. There is a funnel shape under the spinner with more clearance then the old spinner motor end.

See attached picture. Then take a look at the bottom of your feeder.

Is this spinner directional? Or is this more of a game feeder?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
360° is what I'm going with.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
I
OP Offline
I
A little update.
The feeder is doing its job.
Yep it doesn't throw far and clogs sometimes due to the moisture, but it worth its money.
For now, the only ones who are eating the pellets are the crawfish, the pseudorasbora and just born LMB.
I hope LMB will grow pellet trained, isn't it?
To answer @Dave Davidson1 unluckily here there are not fisheries that have such fish pellet trained. I'm trying to train some PS in my 4000 gal garden pond. The little ones start eating pellet but the bigger ones not. I will free them in the big pond hoping they will train others to feed pellets (btw is better to stock them this fall or next spring?).

Filippo
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Yep, it's a 360 degree game feeder. You can put some sort of shield on the back half to keep it from throwing toward the shore.

Fil, I like the idea of Spring stocking. I think there is a pretty good chance that the bigger ones will finally start eating the feed.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Yep, it's a 360 degree game feeder. You can put some sort of shield on the back half to keep it from throwing toward the shore.

Fil, I like the idea of Spring stocking. I think there is a pretty good chance that the bigger ones will finally start eating the feed.

Ok Dave, I'll do it next spring then.
Thank you

Filippo

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday