Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (anthropic, esshup), 743 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
OP Offline
T
I have some pint sized Gammarus in the 3 gal aquarium. Looks like I lost all I had in the 10 gal tanks, but I think there are still a few aztecas in one 10 gal tank. If that's what I'm seeing, they're still tiny. I added some of the near microscopic invertebrates to the small tank,and that may have helped.

C
C
Bill,
I ordered one bag (one cup) but it got lost in the mail so the scuds went in the pond about a week after they were shipped. Not sure how many made it so I bought 2 more cups and put them in the next week. I did not keep any inside.

You think northern ponds do better? Do they not do well in warm water? I'm assuming that it gets warm in Minnesota where these shipoped from in the summer?

I'd love to sample my pond later to see how they did but I have no idea how to observe them in the pond.

I guess it is top secret how they are attracted to the surface under the ice and harvested as well. If I figure it out maybe I can sample them under the ice too?

Last edited by canyoncreek; 03/22/16 07:07 AM.
T
OP Offline
T
The more I read about Gammarus and Hyalella the more confused I get. I don't know how you distinguish one from the other. Various species of Hyalella are found from northern South America to the Arctic, while in North America, Gammarus are found mainly in the eastern US and in the Midwest. Yet I've read articles that appear to contradict all of that. I can't recall seeing any article that discussed both Gammarus and Hyalella. It may make no practical difference if they are the same thing or if there are hundreds of species within each genus scattered all across North America. For me, it's learning from the experience of others and trial and error. FA, Daphnia, diatoms, and detritus (leaves especially) seem to go well with scuds. I've read that pH should be kept above 6, and they should be kept cool and well oxygenated.

T
OP Offline
T
The water in the 3 gal aquarium is quite murky, almost trashy. The water in the 10 gal tanks is clear. It was when the water in the 10 gal tank that I had put potatoe water in cleared up that the scuds disappeared. Apparently they do better with a lot of "stuff" in the water. The leaf litter probably helps a lot. I don't have any in my aquariums. The baby scud aren't all the same size, but maybe the difference is between males and females, or maybe they're different litters.

T
OP Offline
T
I have mostly juvenile scud now in the 3 gal tank, and a fair number of them of various sizes. I haven't seen any scuds in the 10 gal tanks. I have populations of tiny crustaceans established in the 10 gal tanks, and I may put some scuds in with them and see how they do. I'm hoping the additional food source will make a positive difference. I have put some in the 3 gal tank and for a few days I see quite a few, but a few days later, I don't see any. If I can raise enough plankton sized crustaceans, I may be able to maintain the scuds on them and FA (plus a little flake fish food, and rolled oats, and bran).

T
OP Offline
T
I haven't heard anything about grass shrimp lately. Has anyone come up with a source yet?

T
OP Offline
T
The scuds grab pieces of flake fishfood and dive to the bottom of the tank with it.

Turtle,

Do you still have any Hyalella?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
T
OP Offline
T
I have scuds. I think they're Gammarus, but as I said above, I'm not sure how to tell them apart, or if Gammarus aren't part of the Hyalella clan. They have survived in the 3 gal aquarium. I have a few of all sizes, from not much bigger than the head of a pin to the size that I was shipped. I put a few more in one of the 10 gal tanks, and at least one is still alive in there. That tank was and still is full of "micro" crustaceans.

T
OP Offline
T
Any updates from anyone on how their scuds are doing? Other than the one I saw the day after I put scuds in my ponds, I haven't seen a one. Scuds are doing well in the 3 gal aquarium, and at least one is alive in one of my 10 gal tanks.

Haven't seen mine since I stocked them and they disappeared into the rip rap....but I haven't really looked for them. I suspect, if they survived, they are buried in some FA.

[Linked Image]
Thought this was kind of interesting....back in February I put a bunch of scuds in a 20 gallon aquarium. Several weeks later I transferred what I thought was all of them to the pond. The aquarium has been full of Rosey Reds, GSH etc. since then. A week ago I cleared all the fish out and the tank has sat full of water with aeration going. Guess what are now swimming around in the tank. Scuds! Must have been hanging out in the gravel all this time. Kind of explains why this is the only aquarium I couldn't get vegetation going in!

[Linked Image]
Bill D. #458016 10/21/16 07:47 PM
S
S
Got yourself a scud farm Bill!

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Yea it's pretty funny. I suspect if I had tried to raise the little critters they would be long gone! Since I have no plan for that aquarium, I think I will bring up a bunch of small leaf pond weed from the pond and put it in the tank for habitat/food and see what happens. I think there is only a dozen or so in there but I'm obviously not very good at spotting them!

[Linked Image]
T
OP Offline
T
At one point, I was down to what I thought was only one scud in a 3 gal plastic tank. But they've slowly come back, and I now have a fair number in the little tank, I'd say at least a dozen. Most are less than full grown, unless they're stunted. The tank is in a south window, but shaded by a covered porch. There's been a gorilla grass plant hanging on in there from the beginning. I thought it was gone a couple times. I feed the scud a pinch of tropical fish food each day. I have added daphnia and some smaller crustacean with a name I don't recall at the moment. I've had these little crustaceans as long as I've had the scud. The daphnia disappear quickly when I put them in with the scud. The scud tank is coated with algae. I change the water by removing a few cups now and then. I think more often is better.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails