Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#433992 01/08/16 08:14 PM
B
Bfree Offline OP
OP Offline
B
New member here and new pond as well. I live in a Subdivision that has a 10 acre pond and is stocked with Florida Strain Bass. Lots of home owners have taken 10-12 pounders out of it.
The pond stops about 100 ft from my property line and my neighbor has agreed to let me dig a canal through his property to connect my new pond to the big pond, which will allow the bass and other fish to fill my new pond. He's getting the dirt in return.

I have the feeder creek that feeds everything and am in the process of turning that part of the creek into a 2 acre pond.

My main question is should I dam up my new part and get the maximum surface area for my new pond or should I leave open the mouth of the new pond going into the new canal and the old pond?

My track hoe guy said he would dam it up and build a spill way to get the maximum surface area and depth. If I do this it will not affect the canal. He also said that my pond depth is only going to be as deep as the outlet drain on the big pond dam. Which would only give me about a 7ft deep pond max. Or about 12 feet if I dam it up

What would yall do?

Hey Billy Welcome to PBF!

Sounds like a cool project. My first stop would be an attorney's office. Just because your one neighbor is ok with the project, cause he wants the soil, doesn't mean the rest of the folks that have water front property on the 10 acre pond in your subdivision are ok with it. The state might also object to a new dam on the creek so I would want to check that out as well. I would just make sure there are no legal issues before proceeding.

Just my 2 cents

Again, welcome to PBF!

Bill D.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
Bfree Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks Bill for the heads up. I spoke with the HOA and no one objected, I also spoke with the Township about permits to build. None were needed. I did not check with the state though. I'll check into that this week.

J
J
Welcome Billy

Would be wise to get all those in the HOA to sign off on a legal form. Wise to cover all legal bases and potentially save a lot of money, time and aggrevation down the road.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Who is managing the fishery now? I would run your plan past them and see if there are any problems.

Does that pond get water from that creek now? (If not, then the creek could bring fish into the pond that are unwanted and could damage the fishery.)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Bfree Offline OP
OP Offline
B
JDM- I did talk to the HOA and the Home owners along the ponds border- none objected. In fact they welcomed it, b/c I have gotten their permission to use the track hoe to dredge the pond. It has been over 20 yrs since that has been done. About 3 yrs ago the state came through and built a 3 lane hwy about 1/8 mile upstream and the run off from that hwy has caused the old pond to silt in and the state has said not their problem.

esshup- NO one manages the pond that Im aware of. Very few fish it anymore. My feeder creek does feed the old pond and where I would put my dam it would not change the feeder creek at all. The spillway if I decide to go that route would be maybe 3 ft higher than what the creeks bottom is now. I'll get some pix up later to explain all this.

B
Bfree Offline OP
OP Offline
B
some pix of my pond being built. Pic no. 28 is today after this weekends rain, about 2"s. Pic no. PIC NO. 25 is of my possible dam that I want to dam up or I may leave it open to the canal thats not built yet and will go to the big pond. No. 24 is the creed flowing in.

Attached Images
28th pic of pond Jan 2016.jpg 25th pic of pond future dam or canal outlet Jan 2016.jpg 24th pic of pond after 2 inches of rain Jan 2016.jpg
Last edited by BillyFree; 01/10/16 06:50 PM.
C
C
Getting ready to build a 4 acre pond in north Louisiana. Soil test show patches of dispersive clay. Meeting with NRCS to help come up with a plan for building the pond. Soil engineer says there is a 50 / 50 chance of being successful without treating soil. We really want to do this project to allow us to use the property for more than just hunting. So far we have been told to treat soil with hydrated lime. This is our plan right now as it stands. I have heard of sodium bentonite but I am not sure this is the right product for this soil type. We will spend over 60k on this project and want to make sure the pond won't fail. Any input would be most helpful.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome to the forum!

Hydrated lime to raise the pH and possibly kill any unwanted fish in the low area??

IF you go the bentonite route, get the sales rep out there and have him advise you on how many pounds per 1,000 sq. ft. you need to incorporate into the soil for it to hold water. I would definitely make sure the contractor used a multi tired pan scraper filled with dirt or a sheepsfoot roller to pack the whole pond basin before adding any water.

Look into SoilFlock, which is a polymer. Send teehjaeh57 a PM (private message) and ask him about it. When I dig my forage ponds I am going to incorporate it into the soil because I have sand and not enough clay to hold water.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Hi Billy! I'd build the dam and stock the pond yourself. Connecting "your" pond, to the "big pond" means anyone that wants to can come by water to fish in "your" pond, and there is nothing you can do to block it.

Shared waters can cause lots of issues between neighbors.

Last edited by Rainman; 05/08/16 08:54 PM.

C
C
Carwasher here. Thanks for the reply. I will look into soil flock. The dispersive clay that we have is a tough problem. This is what I have learned so far. The hydrated lime is worked into the soil and packed with a sheep roller. This allows you to use a dispersive clay soil to construct your pond and dam. Without it the clay will most likely fail at some point in the future. The NRCS has some good information on dispersive clay in bulletin 4-WI-49. My problem has been to find someone who has actually used hydrated lime for this purpose. Another thing that I have learned is that if you have a pond that stays muddy then there is an excellent chance the culprit is due to dispersive clay. The particles don't settle out they stay suspended and the pond remains muddy. Treating with gypsum clears the pond up but the possibility of a dam failure is still there if you don't treat the dispersive clay or bring in a suitable replacement clay to construct the dam.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
What the NRCS may be calling "dispersive clay" sounds like colloidal clay. The proper amount of moisture is key for compaction of clay. Hydrated Lime is ionically positive and colloidal clay is negative.

Gypsum only works about half the time in clearing colloidal clay, and it takes a LOT of it. and like lime, it tends to soften the clay.

The easiest way to check your clay is to roll it into a golfball size and toss it a couple feet in the air, letting it land on something solid and hard. If it breaks up, or won't hold it's share to begin with, it won't compact/seal well. The clay ball should be slightly moist, but not wet, and stay in one piece with a flat spot from the landing.

You can also roll some clay out, hotdog style bout 6" long and 1/2" in diameter, hold it by one end, vertically, and it should not break apart.

M
mpc Offline
M
Bfree,(Billy?) Welcome to PB. Some of the Pro's here have some really good suggestions.

I might add before you spend a lot of money(you said 60 grand and want it right) I would suggest reading a perfect pond want one you can order here on PB. Just FYI and my opinion, you may want to follow Bill D's advice and get it in writing so to speak. HOA's are notorious for changing the rules
(IMHO) and get the agreement for as long as you and any subsequent owner lives on the property, so it will be easier to sell, even if and when the rules change.

Anyway, on the connecting pond, or spilling yours into the older pond, I would suggest you keep control of your body of water with a higher dam, deeper water. I would give you an example if your pond is connected and the fish can run back and forth without restriction then if some honest home owner brings in fish that you may not want in your pond you have a big problem. Another that just comes to mined is if you happen to be the only HOA member that feeds your fish and the main pond fish feeds off you, then? Another issue might be, if the big lake becomes infested with a weed you do not want, travels the channel to your pond? You would probably have some issue due to bird traveling,but it would still be easier to control. Another issue might be if someone used the wrong or too much herbicide, insecticide, or just by accident, dumped oil/ gasoline or any other product into the larger body of water? You can see the issues and many more, that you can control with a spillway and not so much with a channel. IMHO

I think rainman has told another/other PB'ers that alum works to drop the clay out of the water. I do not know the ratio etc, but if you are having a truck to bring out Hydrated lime or ag lime you could have the alum brought out at the same time to save time and trips and bla, bla. IMHO. You could pm rainman and maybe he could help you.

I assume the feeder creek flows all the time,right,?,Spring fed?
If it dries up, then you might need supplemental water if you are central LA or northern,similar to East Tx where I live.

Another issue might be rain runoff,watershed. You need to know that if you have a 5, 10 or more inch rain and not have a breach of your dam or flush your pond.

Do you plan on aeration, feeding the fish and what species of fish are you planning.

Good luck and thanks for pic's,send more if you can. Good luck all the way around.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??