Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,134
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
10 members (Sunil, Shorthose, J. E. Craig, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24, Freg, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Bill Cody), 905 guests, and 201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#446583 05/06/16 12:53 PM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Saw a deal on an ATV and need your trusted guidance to decide on whether or not to pull the trigger:

2007 Suzuki Vinson™ 500 4X4 Semi-Automatic

Mileage: 9,251

Don't know hours yet.

Talked them down to $2200

The miles seem super high, but I know as long as ATVs are receiving routine maintenance they can go much higher than this. But that's the rub, I have no clue how well this was cared for, nor how hard and in what conditions it was ridden.

I have very little experience when it comes to purchases like this, hoping some of you will provide some feedback so I can move with more confidence on this decision.

Thanks in advance!!!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I ain't got nothin'. To me that seems like a lot of miles, but I really don't know. Looking at KBB and others, it seems low is $2,200 to $2,450 depending on options.

But there is no place to enter mileage.

Look at tires, grips, etc. See how much wear is on them. If tires are worn, go price a new set of tires.

Carbureted motors are more finicky in cold weather to start and keep running, compared to fuel injected ones.

Since you can't do much work on it yourself, where is the closest dealer that will work on it, and do you have a trailer to get it to them?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
F
See what they are selling for on e-bay. Depending on what you are needing it for I just a couple of weeks ago bought a very nice 1978 cj7 jeep with new tires and a very nice winch for only $2500. It was tagged and inspected and drove it 100 miles home. $1000 worth of tires and a $700 winch!!! Just a thought.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
M
M
You might want to take it in to a local cycle shop to have them look it over. They could probably tell a lot about the health of the engine by how it's running. You could also get a ballpark number about an engine rebuild. That way you can weigh the cost of the purchase and the worst case scenario (engine rebuild at some point down the road).

That seems like a lot of miles for the age so I'd guess it wasn't babied, but a new one like that would probably be $6k to $8k. There might be a forum for Vinson owners, check what they think about the longevity and reliability.

What are you wanting the ATV for, utility or sport? I've got a Kawasaki Bayou 250 2x4 with a custom box that I absolutely love for chores around my property and something new like that would be in the $3k-$4k range. I've only gotten it stuck twice and that was definitely my fault! It's not in my budget to get a larger one but I haven't missed it! You might want to weigh buying used vs a small new one with a warranty.

Hope that helps!

TJ, as Esshup said about carbureted motors they can be more finicky than EFI, but the 2 ATV's and 1 UTV I currently own are carbureted and none have failed me in cold whether, once you figure out the choke so you don't wear down the battery cranking it over.

I haven't owned a Suzuki but the reviews on that one seem very good. With the miles on it I would be sure it's shifting properly, including into reverse, and that it shifts into 4x4 properly as well (no hang-ups). Any sounds when making slow sharp turns in either direction? CV boots in tact (not torn?). Do the grease zerks look like they've been used (basic maintenance)?

The 500cc is good and personally wouldn't go any less in case you want to install a winch, snowblade, pull weighted trailers, etc.

Lastly, picking up a non-abused, well cared for 500cc 4x4 ATV for less than $2500 is a deal in my book!

FWIW, knowing your land, have you considered a side-by-side? I know they're more money, but in December I picked up a 2008 Kawasaki Teryx 750, also with high miles for $4k. And there's no comparison for what I can do with that thing compared to my ATV's.
Pushing snow, effortlessly!
Pulling trailers, log splitters, etc. (I remember your wood pile!!!)
Cargo box!
Extra passenger
And most importantly, driving with one hand while the other is holding a cold one!

Just my $.02!

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 05/06/16 03:47 PM.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Guys, the high miles has me nervous...I think I'm going to pass. I do have trailer and also ramps to put in my bed to take to a local shop I trust when things go wrong. I was just hoping to pick up a stronger unit than the Kaw 94 bayou I currently own which is 4x2 only. Just seemed like such a low price, maybe now I know why. Really good feedback thank you.

Keith, you're right, but what I was hoping to do is buy a couple cheap used units so the family each has a ride. Dang there's so much I don't know, I am glad I have you guys available for things like this.

Thank you!!!!!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
TJ, from what I saw on KBB and NADA that is about what the low end of the price range is. The only thing is I don't know what the mileage should be for that year.

I picked up a 2006 Bombardier Traxter 2-up (front to back) from a neighbor a in 2008. 500 cc, carb, full time 4 wheel drive, shaft drive, high and low gear range, auto or manual shift. I think it had less than 200 miles on it. Came with a plow, it has a winch, and a couple of extras.

Other than having a brake cable break and changing the fuel gauge, it's been trouble free. It was a deal that I couldn't pass up. His wife couldn't get on it any more and they wanted to buy a side by side.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
M
TJ, like esshup said, the blue book value might tell you that you're getting more than a fair deal. If this is going to be an additional/part time atv so that everyone in the family has a ride, it might make a lot of sense to purchase it. If you still feel like it's a little too many miles for the money, ask for less!

BTW, I thought it was funny when said you were replacing a Bayou, I wouldn't have given you that advice based on my atv! Oh well...

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Flame
See what they are selling for on e-bay. Depending on what you are needing it for I just a couple of weeks ago bought a very nice 1978 cj7 jeep with new tires and a very nice winch for only $2500. It was tagged and inspected and drove it 100 miles home. $1000 worth of tires and a $700 winch!!! Just a thought.

Nice deal, Flame...for what they want for used ATV and UTVs, I could have a fleet of Jeeps at this price! Maybe I should keep my eye on Ebay

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Good idea, Mark - thanks.

TJ, I know you said you have a trusted shop, but please check with me before taking anything in! There are many things I can't do, but very little I'd pass on.

And my labor rate is limited to possibly a cocktail, if even that.

Plus you'd probably end up going home with some jerky smile .

(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
ATV's are a lot of fun, but these days I wouldn't consider anything that didn't have a bed on it. That's just me however.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Tony, I know...you're right, too. One day I'll be shopping for a utilitarian vehicle and you'll be part of that process to a significant degree as I'll have lots of questions for you. For now, I'm just trying to get the kids more interested in spending time out there and these ATVs might do the trick. It's tough when there's no toilets etc. - until we move out there, I need a carrot to come get dirty and sweaty and fishy with Dad. I loved ATVs growing up on my relative's farms - gotta be more fun than one of them there Wii-Pod Atari Vision Pad IPhones these kids are playing Pong on nowadays.

Keith thanks for the offer - didn't know the extent of your skill set! I will take you up on it, for sure.

D
D
On that model on the dash cluster you can push the top button and hold till the time pops up then hit the bottom button and you will get an hour meter for the motor. The high miles are no big deal. Just change out the drive belt and have the CVT cleaned she will have many many more miles to give.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
In that case TJ, I wholeheartedly agree with your decision. When I was a kid I longed for an off road vehicle that didn't say John Deere on the hood. Anything to get em' outdoors.

Liquid cooled is usually more robust as far as longevity, but they are more complicated when repairs are due. Hard to beat air-cooled simplicity. Having said that, there's something to be said for getting the younger generation's hands dirty...."this is how we mend a broken chain, change a tire, drain and refill the oil, replace the spark plug".

Having a machine in the shop constantly is certainly no fun, but smaller, more manageable repairs as well as service can be a pretty good way to teach them a thing or two.

Last edited by sprkplug; 05/07/16 12:30 PM.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Careful what you wish for, TJ!

I bought my son a minibike/dirtbike when he was 10 to see if he had an interest. From there it was full riding gear, bigger bikes, etc. $$$

This was him at 14, he's now 27.

And somehow he convinced me to lay on the car to get a shot of him jumping over me.... Oh, and if you think I got it on the first shot, think again!
The things dads do!!!

But the weekend riding & camping trips created years of great memories!
He's on the far left in this pic, at age 16.

B
B
when I needed some suggestion then I will go to google and youtube. In today's world everything you find on google. But if you find coolers then go to top coolers reviews here you find the best reviews on coolers.

Last edited by Brusely; 02/08/19 07:06 AM.
TJ I can vouch for the Suzuki motor and drivetrain. I have an '06 King Quad 700 and it's a beast. Very low maintenance costs, and they'll just keep running. Like Dono said, replace the CVT belt and roll on.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
W
W
TJ sure is taking a long time to make up his mind!!

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
I don't own n ATV, only a UTV. Does it have a snorkle? When I see a snorkle on one it just screams abuse.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 10:30 AM
pond experience needed
by FishinRod - 03/29/24 10:13 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday