Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Ridge Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I just installed a system (big max off ebay)
It has 2 rings for diffusors and it seems to really putout the fine bubbles, our pond is approx. 1/4 acre maybe 8-9ft deep in a forest area so we have many years of leaves on bottom, no way to clean them out.
previous owners tried stocking fish but they didn't make the Wisconsin winter so hopefully now they do.

D
D
I don't think you can over aerate but I can tell you of a story.

My uncle had a tropical fish business raising fresh water angle fish. When I went to collage I was able to live with him to save some cash but had to work in his fish room. I had to clean five pair of breeder tanks every day so I could keep up. I would wipe down the algae and change 30% of the water. The tanks had a constant flow in and out but needed the bottoms cleaned out. Long story but when filling you had to fill slow with the valve that would be the source of the constant in flow. If you filled it fast and just let it go it would over aerate the water and the fish would basically hyperventilate on air.

I regret it to this day that I killed 5 pair of black marble lace angle fish. I was in a hurry to get home to my girl (my wife now). I cleaned the tanks got the water going fast to refill. Thought I would load my car up and pack up for the weekend. Got the car packed locked up the house and left. Completely forgot to turn the water back. My uncle calls me later that night at home..... Oh was I mad at my self. I felt so bad and there was nothing I could do to make it better. They were a young new pairs that took two years to raise and pair up.

Sooo yes you can over aerate but I think it would be difficult with a pond. I think it was Bill that gave me a rule of thumb that if your rocks in the water have bubbles on them cut back the hours you run the aeration. Your wasting hydro and energy.

Cheers Don.

Last edited by DonoBBD; 05/06/16 07:20 AM.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
R
RER Offline
R
where in WI are you?

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The biggest negative to over-aerating is turbid water due to too strong of water circulation /currents similar to aeration at a sewage treatment plant keeping organics continually in suspension.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/06/16 08:42 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
R
Ridge Offline OP
OP Offline
R
we are in westboro, wi

Hey Ridge,

Keep in mind that for winter aeration you don't want a diffuser running in the deepest water of your pond or you stand the risk of "super chilling" the water and killing the fish. For winter aeration in a pond your size you need to run only one diffuser in water roughly 1/3 the depth of your deepest water. FWIW our pond is only a little larger than yours and, to save electricity, I only run my shallow water winter diffuser when we get significant snow cover. This opens up an area to allow sunlight to the pond so the vegetation can produce oxygen. IMHO you could put the compressor on a timer and let it run everyday though without hurting anything.

Last edited by Bill D.; 05/07/16 08:37 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
M
mpc Offline
M
Well I will chime in here. I read on PB a year,2 maybe 3 ago that one can over aerate, I think. I would do a search and I think the posts had pics of bubbles in the fins of the fish, I Believe. I wish I had a better memory.

I would assume it is difficult to make happen, but a possibility I think.

I bet Bill D. hit the most important part, since you live in WI and have significant freeze over. IMHO

Last edited by mpc; 05/28/16 08:17 AM. Reason: carification

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
R
Ridge Offline OP
OP Offline
R
We were planning on moving the diffusers to the side by the floating dock i hanen't built her to keep water open and keep barrels from getting froze to hard

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images