Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,971
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
10 members (Donatello, Boondoggle, Don Kennedy, Theo Gallus, MOFishermen, Ponderific2024, Augie, Sunil, DrewSh, Omaha), 1,155 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
I have a relatively new pond, it was dug last july. It is 80' wide and about 12' deep. The sides are pretty steep. I just stocked it last month with 100 bluegill. With the last two weeks of good weather and sun I have noticed the algae(looks like string algae but could be wrong) is just taking over. It looks like it is only growing in about 2 feet or less of water, or where the sun can penetrate. It is growing at a scary rate and I need to do something about it quick I think. I currently do not have any plants in the pond, I know that is probably what I need, but should I try and kill the algae first? I would rather not use anything that is going to hurt my fish...Would an aerator help reduce the algae growth? Seems like I need to put some plants in but I really don't know what type of plants.. thanks for your help.

C
C
The algae you're describing is most likely filamentous algae. This algae in high enough concentrations will cause dissolved oxygen issues which can lead to fish kills. With only about 100 fish in the pond, however, I wouldn't worry about it too much right now.

With larger fish populations comes less room for error, and it may be necessary at some point to intervene. This year in my pond, I'm going to stock tilapia to eat the algae. Others treat it chemically, but from the little experience and knowledge I have, it tends to be an expensive path of management. You could rake out the algae, but expect it to return in a few weeks.

I'm by no means an expert, but there are plenty of them here on the forum that should answer shortly.

S
S
I've had FA problems for a couple seasons now. Pond is three years old. I will not offer advice because have not had enough experience to do so. Others will come along that can. But I can offer some observations.

Chemicals like Cutrine will control the FA very well. Problem is it comes right back. The fix is short term and needs repeated. Plus there could eventually be an issue of copper buildup over time. I use both the granules and liquid, but try to use it sparingly only to partially control what is around the bank out a couple feet. I have parts of the pond that is shallow enough when the water is clear it will grow over a considerable amount of the pond.

So this year I have been experimenting with black pond dye. So far I think it is helping. Keeping my fingers crossed, but so far with only a little Cutrine early in the season around the bank along with the pond dye to cut the light penetration in deeper water and so far so good. But for pond dye to help you have to get ahead of the problem when the FA starts very early in cold spring time water. Like I say, fingers crossed.

I actually like a small amount of FA around the banks. Till I get some more pond plants established, the FA does make some cover for fish fry and if you pull some up and inspect it in mine I found lots of critters for small BG to eat. So in controlled quantities, I don't mind a little of it in shallow water.

That is my limited experience.

Last edited by snrub; 05/03/16 10:16 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by FishinRod - 04/26/24 10:12 AM
Compaction Question
by FishinRod - 04/26/24 10:05 AM
Prayers needed
by Sunil - 04/26/24 07:52 AM